As the build continues on ....

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So over the next few months the ol 60 Chevy BelAir is getting a new heart! The 66 427 has been a good ride but it's time to take it to the next level.

Engine as is

511 cubic inches using a GEN VI block with 4.375 Kelloge crank 6.385 rods and 4.310 8.5 pistons
Heads are a 119 cc 2.30 1.88 with some porting mostly on the EX side
6-71 blow reconditioned by me
And the kicker
Enderly hat and plate fuel injection powered by a MegaSquirt II system. Been busy working with several others who run this system on the street with some excellent results, though the road to get there was not easy. A fellow hot rodder runs a like build and gets 18MPG vs the 9 from the Holleys.. Seen other posts with same results.

A few of the parts are already here and more are on thier way. Just takes $$ and I am being very carefull with it by buying the best I can where needed and going the DIY route on other items.

Here's the low down

1. Block and machine work $ trading some work for it

2. Blower is a 6-71 conversion I am rebuilding $ Complete I will have about a 1k into it
Complete means drive to manifold.

3. Crank is a 4.375 Kellogg that IS BRAND NEW and I nabbed it for 250.00 from a R&D Shop going under.

4. Rods are H Beams 6.385 400.00 new after much haggeling. Note: There are no US foundries pouring rods anymore. The last one burnt down. Good for 850 HP

5. Pistons - Still in flux but it's going to hurt $1200.00 for blower pistons. These are dished and coated.. still struggeling with it but I know what happens if I don't. note: been running Silvolite truck pistons in the 427 for years and they still look like new and they seen 7000 RPM more times than I can cout. Cost me 125.00 shipped lol!

6. Heads - I went with some resonable set of CNC heads with good valves that I will be redoing the spings on and maybe some Jessels. 1400.00 320 SQ Ports 2.30 / 1.88

7. Lots and lots or research here - I am using a BDS blower Plate 160.00 Bug catcher 675.00 lines 120
injectors 8 at 65 ea - and other misc. I can buy or build this for under 1400.00, the kit at BDS is 5000.00! If your interested I have a huge list of DIY blower plate builders and other data.

8. MegaSquirt II Complete with the Stimulator so I can start building the tune and testing even before the engine is ever done 800.00 total. This system makes you learn what FI is all about so there is a learning curve. Or pay 3000 and buy one that does the work for you. I preefer to learn it.
Plus I prefer owning my work makes me happy in the end.

9. Ignition is staying with the Crane HI 6 with timing and boost control but swapping out the dristributor for a new magnetic unit for blower timing. Need this for the poor gas and my heavy foot.

That's the basic of it.

Should be able to put down 750+ hp 650+ tq at a whim and be reliable.

Still looking for pics of a 60-64 with a blower in it so I can look over some details.

Currently I am squaring up the front sheet metal, need some bolts and shims for under the radiator support, then when done it comes off and the engine comes out.

Interior is being pulled out completly and redone and the dash repainted black with chrome gauge clusters I nabbed off someone along with all Sun and mallory gauges. All old school that I am refurbishing. The dang tach has to be converted but there is nothing like a chrome Sun Tach.
I also have all the sun cups and 2 5/8 cowl gauges for the build. Again I do most of this including the cutting and gluing of the carpet and door panels.

Redoing all of my split electrical system with some new items. I run half the car on the old power system for lights etc and another source for ingnition fans pumps etc. I use a starter soleniod for this. Works well and I never worry about burning up wires.

When all is said and done the car will propbably get a shot of black primer and the trim put back on till next year. Then I might paint it.

Build pics coming and parts will be offered up to make room for more goodies!!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Neat build. But I still don't get why you guys don't slap a Procharger on your BBC? I Southeastern WI there are Procharged Chevelles, fox mustangs etc that run in the 8s and are perfectly streetable! Hard to deny deny that a big blower sticking out of the hood looks cool but a Procharger is a bad mofo for making HP!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
So over the next few months the ol 60 Chevy BelAir is getting a new heart! The 66 427 has been a good ride but it's time to take it to the next level.

Engine as is

511 cubic inches using a GEN VI block with 4.375 Kelloge crank 6.385 rods and 4.310 8.5 pistons
Heads are a 119 cc 2.30 1.88 with some porting mostly on the EX side
6-71 blow reconditioned by me
And the kicker
Enderly hat and plate fuel injection powered by a MegaSquirt II system. Been busy working with several others who run this system on the street with some excellent results, though the road to get there was not easy. A fellow hot rodder runs a like build and gets 18MPG vs the 9 from the Holleys.. Seen other posts with same results.

A few of the parts are already here and more are on thier way. Just takes $$ and I am being very carefull with it by buying the best I can where needed and going the DIY route on other items.

Here's the low down

1. Block and machine work $ trading some work for it

2. Blower is a 6-71 conversion I am rebuilding $ Complete I will have about a 1k into it
Complete means drive to manifold.

3. Crank is a 4.375 Kellogg that IS BRAND NEW and I nabbed it for 250.00 from a R&D Shop going under.

4. Rods are H Beams 6.385 400.00 new after much haggeling. Note: There are no US foundries pouring rods anymore. The last one burnt down. Good for 850 HP

5. Pistons - Still in flux but it's going to hurt $1200.00 for blower pistons. These are dished and coated.. still struggeling with it but I know what happens if I don't. note: been running Silvolite truck pistons in the 427 for years and they still look like new and they seen 7000 RPM more times than I can cout. Cost me 125.00 shipped lol!

6. Heads - I went with some resonable set of CNC heads with good valves that I will be redoing the spings on and maybe some Jessels. 1400.00 320 SQ Ports 2.30 / 1.88

7. Lots and lots or research here - I am using a BDS blower Plate 160.00 Bug catcher 675.00 lines 120
injectors 8 at 65 ea - and other misc. I can buy or build this for under 1400.00, the kit at BDS is 5000.00! If your interested I have a huge list of DIY blower plate builders and other data.

8. MegaSquirt II Complete with the Stimulator so I can start building the tune and testing even before the engine is ever done 800.00 total. This system makes you learn what FI is all about so there is a learning curve. Or pay 3000 and buy one that does the work for you. I preefer to learn it.
Plus I prefer owning my work makes me happy in the end.

9. Ignition is staying with the Crane HI 6 with timing and boost control but swapping out the dristributor for a new magnetic unit for blower timing. Need this for the poor gas and my heavy foot.

That's the basic of it.

Should be able to put down 750+ hp 650+ tq at a whim and be reliable.

Still looking for pics of a 60-64 with a blower in it so I can look over some details.

Currently I am squaring up the front sheet metal, need some bolts and shims for under the radiator support, then when done it comes off and the engine comes out.

Interior is being pulled out completly and redone and the dash repainted black with chrome gauge clusters I nabbed off someone along with all Sun and mallory gauges. All old school that I am refurbishing. The dang tach has to be converted but there is nothing like a chrome Sun Tach.
I also have all the sun cups and 2 5/8 cowl gauges for the build. Again I do most of this including the cutting and gluing of the carpet and door panels.

Redoing all of my split electrical system with some new items. I run half the car on the old power system for lights etc and another source for ingnition fans pumps etc. I use a starter soleniod for this. Works well and I never worry about burning up wires.

When all is said and done the car will propbably get a shot of black primer and the trim put back on till next year. Then I might paint it.

Build pics coming and parts will be offered up to make room for more goodies!!

For the tach conversion go to Williamson's Instruments, talk with Ron. 479 3692551 www.williamsons.com

He just converted my old style GM Sun tach to electronic

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Carillo rods are made in USA or so they say.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Carillo rods are made in USA or so they say.

I was looking at those but 1500 is out of my range and I am still not sure were they make them unless it's a small local foundry. It's an interesting rat hole with all of the cross branding and the wording they use to hide were they are made. I won't start a fight but there are 3 known US rod companies that actualy all use the same machine shop QA and just rebrand the rods. All are fordged in China though.

Hey! Might have to talk to on upgrading to some large front dics :-) and maybe some rear disc as well..

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most forgings from China are good, it's the machining and rod bolts that is most critical
I wouldn't waste my time with rear discs

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Request:

One of the challenges I am having is that to run the blower I have to run a short water pump on the BBC. Been a long time since I tried one, I run a LWP Stock BBC PS Brackets, but just looking at it makes me think it's going to hit the frame.

Anyone running a SWP with PS out there? Pics?

My other option is a type II pump with remote like this.

413L.jpg

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Santa gave me some Edelbrock square port heads :-) Soon as they show up I will be cc them and ordering up some pistons. Pistons are another issue!
J&E wants 1298.00 for 8 with a lead time of 8 weeks!!!
So I started digging and found that the former owner of J&E started a new company call RaceTec http://www.racetecpistons.com/rt_rthome.htm
Same engineering, some of the J&E staff that was under him, same materials and a new price of $571.00 3-4 weeks lead time!!! That is a HUGE savings. They will be coated in UT which is a few more dollars but worth it on blower / turbo engines.

They are a prefered piston on the Yellowbullet Turbo and Supercharger forums and if they make that crowd happy I am sure I'll be fine.

Willie Papendick
Sales
RaceTec Pistons
15681 Computer Lane
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
PH. 714-903-4362
FX. 714-903-4318
http://www.racetecpistons.com
Watch how the pistons are made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elDjDGlHRKs

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The blurry work between Mark IV and Gen 5 & 6 Engines!

Looking for a clear answer seems to be a longer process than I figured!

*** All I want is a Stock Steel Flywheel -168 tooth- Internally balanced -One Piece Rear Seal Motor. ****

I have the McLeod, RAM, etc etc . But there must be a cross over I can use from either a new SBC or?

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You can use any flywheel that is made for the two piece rear main seal other than a 400 small block or a 454 which are both externally balanced. I'm not sure why it would be difficult to find one.

Bill

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
*** All I want is a Stock Steel Flywheel -168 tooth- Internally balanced -One Piece Rear Seal Motor. ****Bill, I believe he is looking for an internal balance with ONE PIECE seal. As far as I know, all of the later one piece seal 454/502 motors are EXTERNAL balance.:scratch Leo

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
*** All I want is a Stock Steel Flywheel -168 tooth- Internally balanced -One Piece Rear Seal Motor. ****Bill, I believe he is looking for an internal balance with ONE PIECE seal. As far as I know, all of the later one piece seal 454/502 motors are EXTERNAL balance.:scratch Leo

My mistake, see the summit link for one piece main seals.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...chevy-small-block-gen-iii-iv-ls-based-engines

If you look at applications it will tell you what engines it fits.

Bill

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the new BBC Gen 5 uses a completely different bolt pattern than the mark iv bbc and most use external balanced flywheels so none of my mark iv stuff will fit. May have to pony up and buy a high end after market if there is no other choice. Was hoping a Newer SBC might work. :-(

thanks!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can balance a Gen 5 flywheel but i would think with a blown motor you would want to pony up for a proper aftermarket flywheel, at least for safety reasons. I wouldn't want to run an OEM cast flywheel on that blown motor.