As the build continues on ....

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Which reminds me.....Tic's60 do you still have what's left of your old fenderwell headers? I'm still interested in them if you have ever decided to part with them.

Hey! Nice seeing your still around.. hope everythings going good. A scaraper thief took my pile of parts when we had our fence redone. The guys piled everything beside the shop and and the next day nada.. Took a read end with posi, headers pipe rack everything...

Still interested in the fenders just need more money... seems everything I need for this build is triple digets but luckily I am down to ordering the custom cam so that should be over for awhile. Blower has to go to Deans to be aligned manifold is still in limbo somehwere the list goes on and on! If you can take a pic or two of that cross member with a tape laid out next to it :-)
Speaking of which I need to order the new gas tank so I can build a sump in it. Going carbs for awhile but fuel injection is coming :-) take a look http://foxinjection.com/blower-efi-plates.html

Still grinding through the trans situation as well..... well back to yard work!!!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've had so much stuff stolen in the past few years that just makes me sick. Hate to hear you got hit too. Not sure what you are looking into for the custom cam, but Comp has a pretty nice blower cam that's an off the shelf grind. It is 255*/262* @ .050" - .652"/.652" Lift - 114* LSA - Solid Roller with fairly tight (.020" I/E) valve lash . I also know that it use to come with the rear gear that lets you run a normal cast distributor gear...think it still does.
I will get you some pics of the TH400 crossmember with measurements, but it will probably be several days - up to a week before I get the chance. I am going to keep holding onto the fiberglass fenders as long as I can for you, but if money gets tight enough they may have to go. I'm trying to come up with enough to build a big shop. It will be nice to finally have concrete to work on. The main thing is just hoping to get things locked away better and all in one spot (which will be well off the road/in the woods) so hopefully I can keep what I have. I've got a lot of stuff, but reading that Bob's ZL1 intake got lifted from his shop it makes me almost glad I don't have anything that rare/valuable for them to get. Still hoping it gets found before it's melted down.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
New fuel tank and sender arrived yesterday! Had to get a new tank for the sump system I am building for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360657419628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 $99.00 FREE SHIPPING
$(KGrHqUOKjcE3J+K0e7!BN3p525wv!~~_12.JPG

The sump will be needed once the EFI pump goes in and starting with a clean tank is nice vs washing and purging the old tank filled with fumes. Even then they can go BOOOOM!

Blower is finaly boxed and ready to ship to Deans Blowers. More money but worth it to know it's done right. Seems that the front bearing plate I bought new is to thick and it's hitting the rotors once I tighten it down.

Engine parts are all here for the shortblock just wating for everything to hit the balancer.......

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
soooo this 10-71 came along and keeps wispering ... buy me! Would mean I could run 30-40 Underive on thje blower thus making the air cooler inside and reduse the stress on the system.

Need some input please

I have a 78 camaro/mailibu PS Box and pump with the manual link and pitman arm, if I switch to manual of the same year will I need to change anything other than the box? What are some good manual boxes?

Also 1961BelAir427 look at http://youtu.be/j1zPFeObOW0 and pause around the 2.44 mark. I sent a note asking him what he did there to make them work.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't know what RPM you are expecting but do know people that have had problem with power steering pumps foaming at high RPM and then you have no steering??

Bill

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
soooo this 10-71 came along and keeps wispering ... buy me! Would mean I could run 30-40 Underive on thje blower thus making the air cooler inside and reduse the stress on the system.

Need some input please

I have a 78 camaro/mailibu PS Box and pump with the manual link and pitman arm, if I switch to manual of the same year will I need to change anything other than the box? What are some good manual boxes?

Also 1961BelAir427 look at http://youtu.be/j1zPFeObOW0 and pause around the 2.44 mark. I sent a note asking him what he did there to make them work.

I can't answer your PS to manual steering box question, but I'd guess looking at the part numbers for pitman arms for both applications to see if they are the same.
You don't like the stock 58-64 steering box?

Thanks for the link on the 59 with fenderwell headers ...... oddly....it looks like the driver's side wasn't modified. That's the side that's the problem on mine. I found some more pictures of it and the passenger's side header looks pretty butchered. The passenger side chevy II bolts right up on mine.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't answer your PS to manual steering box question, but I'd guess looking at the part numbers for pitman arms for both applications to see if they are the same.
You don't like the stock 58-64 steering box?

Thanks for the link on the 59 with fenderwell headers ...... oddly....it looks like the driver's side wasn't modified. That's the side that's the problem on mine. I found some more pictures of it and the passenger's side header looks pretty butchered. The passenger side chevy II bolts right up on mine.

I use a New PS Box conversion right now BUT becacuse of some change to a SWP I am having a hell of a time finding a way to run a pump. LWP np SWP there is no room for a Low stock mounted pump. So the simplest solution change to a newer manual box.

Yah that is odd on the headers. The passenger side fits perfect here as well but the DS is the PIA one. Maybe one of them will update me on what they did and I will pass it along.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What oil pan are people running with the GEN V and VI motors??

Motor Mounts?

thanks

Mike

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mike,

You going to have her running for RoeAnn's next weekend ???

Bill

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What oil pan are people running with the GEN V and VI motors??

Motor Mounts?

thanks

Mike
This is going to be a huge post, but I hope it helps you and others.

GM has a pan kit for the GEN V & VI motors that is styled like the older 5 quart (6 w filter) Chevelle/Camaro pans. The pan that usually comes on 502's and most other newer motors is very similar to the older 6 quart (7 with filter) Corvette / truck pans.
On my old 427 I run the large truck oil pan which is the same design as the L88 corvette pan. The only difference between those is the internal baffle is a little better on the Vette pan and the drain plug is in another spot. My truck pan has it at the rear vs. the L88 pan having it on the side like other car pans. I personally like the rear placement since the front is usually higher when you change oil so I'm more likely to have better drainage. I also use GM windage tray and studs along with a Milodon pan baffle that goes at the pump and keeps oil from climbing up the back of the block on hard launches. I'm seriously considering swapping the stock style windage tray for a Milodon curved screen one and adding a Moroso crank scraper.
All that being said, my engine isn't positioned normally, but it's pretty close to stock. Way back when I swapped to a big block, no one around come give me any advice or help on the swap. I had a 396/TH400 out of a 1965 Impala SS and a when we tried to lower it in, the 65 Impala style pan hit my 61's crossmember and needed to be raised about a quarter of an inch. That pan had a "stepped" sump. Whereas all the other factory big block pans make a gradual slope from the front to the bottom sump, this one sloped down then leveled off for a few inches and then sloped down again. The only other oil pan I had access to was a huge one off of a dump truck or some other medium duty truck. I think it was supposed to be 9 quarts or something and looked like a regular stock pan and one of those full sump dragster pans had a baby. LOL It was out of the question.
We ended up scrounging some frame mounts and motor mounts that were out of a later Chevrolet. I don't even know if they are from a truck or car since they were already lose and laying in a pile when I found them, but they look just like the type that is used in pretty much everything Chevrolet built during the 70's and 80's. We positioned the motor to where the pan and the 65 Impala exhaust manifolds fit and marked that location for the mounts. They are just bolted in and not welded, so it's not permanent. After the motor was positioned, we cut down the original transmission crossmember and added new tabs for it to locate the TH400.
Over the years I've had 3 other big blocks in my 61....and swapped the manifolds out for hooker super comp headers, but left the motor mounts alone because they worked with my modified transmission crossmember.
I've been planning for years to go back to the original small block mounts and the Show Cars TH400 crossmember that Models sold me, but now that I'm at that road again......I am leaning towards keeping it mounted the same so I can keep the larger pan and windage tray. It's either that or spend about $250 for an aftermarket pan (probably Hamburgers or Jegg's relabeled one) that have a windage tray and crank scraper built in and I just don't think it would be any better than my current setup + a crank scraper and screened tray.
When I put a big block & Muncie in my 62, I just used the common Chevelle/Camaro style pan and the normal X-frame small block motor mounts and frame stands. Everything bolted up just like stock with those parts. I can confirm that the Vette/truck style pan will not clear with the regular small block mounts.....therefore it's HIGHLY doubtful the pan the 502's come with would fit. The smaller oil pan kit GM has for the Gen V / Gen VI also comes with a dipstick/tube, and oil pump pickup (last time I checked) but the descriptions say it will not work with the Gen 5/6 windage tray and studs. It might come with 4 main bolts to replace the W.T. stand-off main bolts, but if not you'd need to get some. Gen V / Gen VI main cap bolts and windage tray studs are a slightly different length than Mark IV parts. I can't remember if they are longer or shorter....just that they are different.
Since you are planning on staying with a manual transmission there is no way I'd consider changing the mount style since it will effect everything with your clutch linkage/Z-bar/etc.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
did this is in 2005, 502 with 4 speed, switched to camaro pan, dipstick for big block 65 impala, 65 corvette BBC alt brackets and idler pulley from 65 BBC, used V8 mounts, worked great. Car is for sale today.

Quik9r

Attachments

• 100_0358b.JPG
    100_0358b.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 4

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
did this is in 2005, 502 with 4 speed, switched to camaro pan, dipstick for big block 65 impala, 65 corvette BBC alt brackets and idler pulley from 65 BBC, used V8 mounts, worked great. Car is for sale today.

Quik9r
The Pan I found that everyone says will clear every thing is a4 quart pan like the older Mark IV engines. I have a remote cooler and filter for that adds an additional 2-3 quarts in the system.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/catalog/Category.jhtmlCATID=577.html

There are Taller motor mounts http://www.drivinithome.com/motor-mounts-101/ and I think I have the short ones in just need to check once I pull the motor.

Probably more than likely she will be a full manul TH400 this time around as I have no spare parts for the DN OD/UD. And I have one here rated for 900hp just need to figure out the TC slip ratio. Probalby a modest 2100 at most.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's here! Took awhile to get it all done right but the big huffer if on my nite stand just waiting to breath life into the new bullet!
blower2.JPG

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Blower mockup begins today!! Setting up the 6-71 20% under driven so I can get all of the needed parts piling up on and lined up. Should be fun! Will take some pics as I get everything mounted on and a few running videos of it.

Anyone know of or ever seen a BBC with a front engine mount in a x-frame car? If you have some pics or anything on one please let me know.