Axle reinstallation.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm beyond frustration with reinstalling my axles. They slide right into the spline but stop cold when they reach the O ring on the bearing. I have switched to a two O ring bearing and the axles just wont get past the first O ring. Any secrets or tricks of the trade to make this happen? I have done this before with no problem, something so simple....

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just make sure the opening on the axle tube is clean and smooth. I usually polish it up with 320 sand paper then apply a light coating of gear lube or grease on the o rings. They fit tight, so you may have to give it a whack, I use a plastic dead blow hammer. Others may have a different method. or as Don posted, the splines may not be lined up. He posted as I was typing. :D

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Splines are lined up as I was able to install the old axles and bearings all the way in. The new axles with the 2 groove O ring bearing goes in but stops right at the first O ring. Cannot get the bearing to slide into the race.
Would the temperature have anything to do with it? It is cool in the shop, 60°. Normal temp when I'm not working can be 30°.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Still struggling with this. The bearing is on all the way. I actually took the O rings off and slid the axle in all the way, no problem. I reinstalled the O rings and the damn axle stops dead when the O ring touches the tube
The O ring it seems just doesnt want to compress into the tube. Going to pick up a new set of O rings this evening and give it another try tomorrow. Somehow this reminds me of Phil's double nut experience.....

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Still struggling with this. The bearing is on all the way. I actually took the O rings off and slid the axle in all the way, no problem. I reinstalled the O rings and the damn axle stops dead when the O ring touches the tube
The O ring it seems just doesnt want to compress into the tube. Going to pick up a new set of O rings this evening and give it another try tomorrow. Somehow this reminds me of Phil's double nut experience.....
Its also possible the material the O ring is made of is the wrong stuff. The company selling the bearing may not have determined whether its the right rubber compound because it fits the bearing ok so good enough. Also, you don't happen to have that rubber O ring turned in on itself? Does the O ring have a flat side on it or is it completely round? I've run into all kinds of issues like this, you are on the right track though.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Double check to see that the bearing bore has a generous and smooth lead in radius. Even polish it up and blend the corners.
Cold will raise the hardness of the orings as well to using a lower Durometer oring should help.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Ok everybody, got it done today. Bryan Fugate stopped in and said all you need is a bigger hammer and that's all it took. A 4×4×12" long and a couple of taps with a sledge hammer and the axles slid right in. Yahoo, but that is not the end of the story, to be continued. Thank you all for the advice and replies. I read everyone of them.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok everybody, got it done today. Bryan Fugate stopped in and said all you need is a bigger hammer and that's all it took. A 4×4×12" long and a couple of taps with a sledge hammer and the axles slid right in. Yahoo, but that is not the end of the story, to be continued. Thank you all for the advice and replies. I read everyone of them.
You put long wheel studs in axles so you could double nut the wheels!!! :D

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The rest of the story. After we installed the axles I tightened down the axle flanges and installed the driveshaft all I had left was gear oil in the pumpkin. I have a small hand pump with a spout and pickup I started pumping gear oil and the tube on the hand pump popped off and slid right into the fill hole and to the bottom of the differential.
Aaaaaaaagh. So I removed the driveshaft, removed the nuts on the flanges, pulled the axles and removed the gear set far enough to reach in and get the 4" piece of tubing. Reinstalled the gear set, reinstalled the driveshaft, tore the O rings on the bearings so I had to order new O rings, now waiting for O rings to finish. Geez, life used to be so simple.