Axle reinstallation.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Something is still too sharp. The o ring shouldn't shear.
I just thought. Some dumbass probably tried to use a big hammer and smash the axle in place and while doing that they rolled the edge of the pocket the bearing sets in creating a sharp edge. Break out your bore gauge and check to see the bearing pocket is round and feel for sharpe edges. Entirely possible that the damage is so small it isn't noticeable by visual inspection alone.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the damage was done since you owned the car. I've pulled factory axles out of all kinds of X frame chevy's over the years and have found some bat shit crazy stuff. Replaced an axle on my wagon because it looked like someone had their dog chew on the flange holding the studs in place. My best guess is someone though that they had to use a small punch/chisel to tap it back in place and must have hit it 200 times on one side because all of the damage was only by 2 wheel studs. Then again maybe they were just using a claw hammer or crow bar to hit it. :laugh2

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the damage was done since you owned the car. I've pulled factory axles out of all kinds of X frame chevy's over the years and have found some bat shit crazy stuff. Replaced an axle on my wagon because it looked like someone had their dog chew on the flange holding the studs in place. My best guess is someone though that they had to use a small punch/chisel to tap it back in place and must have hit it 200 times on one side because all of the damage was only by 2 wheel studs. Then again maybe they were just using a claw hammer or crow bar to hit it. :laugh2

I hope no one took it that way.....I have met you in person, super cool dude, just doing your thing.....not a hateful bone in your body,....um unless its on the track, then your just as competitive as the next guy. You have always offered me help anytime I have asked. You also have more X frames and 409's then one guy should own......HEADS, you should share some of those, lol

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am wondering if the groves in the bearing are not cut deep enough for o -rings to be at proper depth. Measure old bearings and compare to new bearing. Also as mentioned check for sharp edges in housing and any rust or build up of junk in that bore. Something is not right. I never had any trouble when replaceing bearings ,they went in with slight tapping . If nothing else I would get another bearing (new) and see if it will slide in housing easily with no axle in it. That might explain a mystery.

Last edited:

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am wondering if the groves in the bearing are not cut deep enough for o -rings to be at proper depth. Measure old bearings and compare to new bearing. Also as mentioned check for sharp edges in housing and any rust or build up of junk in that bore. Something is not right. I never had any trouble when replaceing bearings ,they went in with slight tapping . If nothing else I would get another bearing (new) and see if it will slide in housing easily with no axle in it. That might explain a mystery.

Complete agreement, something is off, I didn't even have to hit mine with a hammer or anything, they came in the housing to stop, aligned the splines and gave it a good shove, and I felt them seat, with a shove really, very odd...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Why did you replace axles???? I got to thinking(dangerous) my cousin bought a new 63 impala 327 300 hp 4 speed . He raced it a lot , no strip
just racing on highway and he went through 11 differentals. He then put a new rear housing in and claimed that was the problem that it was bent and no more problem. Hard to believe ,but maybe so. Wondering if your housing might be bent????

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is another good spot to look. As soon as you mentioned that grove, it could have been poor machine work.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I believe it's the O rings. When I had the axles out the last time it was with this car and in Florida, i was installing a posi unit and I used Showcars O rings on the bearings everything went together perfectly. This time I used ebay O rings and shaved the O rings twice. I'm leaving the ebay O rings in and ordering 4 O rings from Showcars just in case.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I replaced the axles because my original axles had a twist in the spline.
Any chance you might have twisted something in the spool bearings/splines as well, just enough to not let it line up, without a hammer blow, just enough to create a bind? a thought?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe it's the O rings. When I had the axles out the last time it was with this car and in Florida, i was installing a posi unit and I used Showcars O rings on the bearings everything went together perfectly. This time I used ebay O rings and shaved the O rings twice. I'm leaving the ebay O rings in and ordering 4 O rings from Showcars just in case.
That's good food for thought. I always keep extra axles with me when I go race but I just now realized I don't have O-rings on them. I'll be getting some from show cars too.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Problem solved, see attached photo. The .102 cross section O ring is from ebay and the .071 cross section O ring is from Showcars. Stands to reason I would shave the larger O rings, I would suggest if you are replacing axle bearing O rings buy them from Showcars.

Attachments

• 20210319_143020.jpg
    20210319_143020.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210319_143435.jpg
    20210319_143435.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Problem solved, see attached photo. The .102 cross section O ring is from ebay and the .071 cross section O ring is from Showcars. Stands to reason I would shave the larger O rings, I would suggest if you are replacing axle bearing O rings buy them from Showcars.
good info to know, thank you, sorry you had to find that out.....