Back in my day as a kid

Well Known Member
When I grew up I walked to school and our dinner time was at a regular time, Sunday’s was having roast dinner with all the trimmings.Eating out was unheard of,only had outings on special occasions, only received a toy on birthdays and at Christmas.
Fast food was fish and chips and having a bottle of pop was a real treat.
You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your playing clothes and children looked like children. We didn’t wear makeup or have anxiety. There was no taking or picking you up in the car, you walked or rode your bike! Our house phone had a cord attached, so there was no such things as private conversations or mobile phones! ours was out in the hall.We didn’t have streaming tv, or Netflix, we had only 3 channels to watch.We played chase,hide and seek, tag,football and rode bikes.
Staying in the house was a punishment and the only thing we knew about "bored" was you better find something to do before I find it for you!
We ate what mom made for dinner if we didn't eat what was served we weren't allowed back out either.Bottled water was not a thing we drank from the tap.
We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings,rode our bikes for hours and ran around.We played till dark street lights were our alarm.If someone had a fight, that's what it was and we were friends again a week later.We watched our mouth’s around our elders because all of our aunts, uncles, grandpas, grandmas, and our parent’s best friends were all extensions of our parents and you didn't want them telling your parents if you misbehaved! or they would give you something to cry about. Everyone had respect.I did my research by borrowing books from the library. There was no internet and Google! So many kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid, my childhood was with family and friends I hung around with no snap chatting, face time or Facebook.
Best days of my life. 60’s and 70’s

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
When I grew up I walked to school and our dinner time was at a regular time, Sunday’s was having roast dinner with all the trimmings.Eating out was unheard of,only had outings on special occasions, only received a toy on birthdays and at Christmas.
You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your playing clothes and children looked like children. We didn’t wear makeup or have anxiety. There was no taking or picking you up in the car, you walked or rode your bike! Our house phone had a cord attached, so there was no such things as private conversations or mobile phones! ours was out in the hall.We didn’t have streaming tv, or Netflix, we had only 3 channels to watch.We played chase,hide and seek, tag,football and rode bikes.
Staying in the house was a punishment and the only thing we knew about "bored" was you better find something to do before I find it for you!
We ate what mom made for dinner if we didn't eat what was served we weren't allowed back out either.Bottled water was not a thing we drank from the tap.
We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings,rode our bikes for hours and ran around.We played till dark street lights were our alarm.If someone had a fight, that's what it was and we were friends again a week later.We watched our mouth’s around our elders because all of our aunts, uncles, grandpas, grandmas, and our parent’s best friends were all extensions of our parents and you didn't want them telling your parents if you misbehaved! or they would give you something to cry about. Everyone had respect.I did my research by borrowing books from the library. There was no internet and Google! So many kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid, my childhood was with family and friends I hung around with no snap chatting, face time or Facebook.

... and we played baseball and football in the street, built forts in the woods, made swings out of old tires and rope, rode bikes everywhere, jumped the freight trains and rode across town (never told my parents), went swimming all summer as soon as the city pools opened, played sand-lot little league, went to church on Sunday, rode our bikes to the new car dealers when the new cars were coming out to try and see them before they were released (the dealers used to put paper over the dealer showroom windows before the "reveal" day, took the city bus across town to go to the 25-cent movies, would go to the drive-in (on a Friday night when they had the cartoon festival) as a special treat with my parents in their '54 Plymouth wagon all dressed in my pajamas and with a brown paper grocery bag full of buttered popcorn made at home and a cooler of drinks and then fall asleep in the back of the wagon before the movie was over, go fishing at the lake with my dad, go to the grass field airport and watch the small planes with my dad and sometimes go up for a short ride, plus other memories. That was back in the '50's and '60's for me, before I was old enough to notice girls and drive. Once those things happened, it all changed.
John

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some of us kids from my generation have similar life experiences but after that it was way different. My nieces (in their mid twenties now) have never known a world without cell phones, flat color screens, air conditioning... Swapmeets when I was a kid were a big deal. No craigslist, ebay, facebook or forums like this to find anything unless you count the local paper ads like the weekly HyVee trader. We used open dirt lots to create BMX bike tracks and lived on our bikes from sun up until sun down. We also knew all of our neighbors within a 2 block radius by first and last name, what they did and what hobbies they like to take part in. My first swing was made from pieces of exhaust pipe my dad welded together. My family didn't have air conditioning in the house until I was in junior high and my wife didn't have it until she was in highschool. We had one car that had air conditioning growing up too. I bet kids now days don't even know what a U-control plane is. Funny enough to watch them react to radial dial telephones. If bad guys started using Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) bombs as has been claimed for sometime that they would, then anyone that relies on an electronic device will have a very hard time with life. I'll be fine. I have several cars/trucks running points. LOL!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
... and we played baseball and football in the street, built forts in the woods, made swings out of old tires and rope, rode bikes everywhere, jumped the freight trains and rode across town (never told my parents), went swimming all summer as soon as the city pools opened, played sand-lot little league, went to church on Sunday, rode our bikes to the new car dealers when the new cars were coming out to try and see them before they were released (the dealers used to put paper over the dealer showroom windows before the "reveal" day, took the city bus across town to go to the 25-cent movies, would go to the drive-in (on a Friday night when they had the cartoon festival) as a special treat with my parents in their '54 Plymouth wagon all dressed in my pajamas and with a brown paper grocery bag full of buttered popcorn made at home and a cooler of drinks and then fall asleep in the back of the wagon before the movie was over, go fishing at the lake with my dad, go to the grass field airport and watch the small planes with my dad and sometimes go up for a short ride, plus other memories. That was back in the '50's and '60's for me, before I was old enough to notice girls and drive. Once those things happened, it all changed.
John
DeJaVu, been there done that my childhood Exactly!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I used to send time with Grandpa and Grandma Reed's farm. I got to take the bales of hay off the elevator in the hay loft. I would stack the bales so that I would have tunnels all thru the stacks. I could hide in some many places!!!!
And then went to the hand operated water hydrant for a drink of fresh water!!!!
Since a river run thru Grandpa's property, I sat on the wet river bank fishing for bullheads and catfish all day long.
Great memories!!!!!!!

Junky

Well Known Member
When I was a kid, I was forced to take the dinosaur out to poop after he ate his dinner every night. Sure didn't miss him when the great freeze came and he kicked the bucket. What a relief it was not to have to walk him every night. Mom made me a very warm coat out of his hide, but it had a gammy smell to it. After a couple of months, it dissipated and the skin softened a lot. Back then we lived in a cave, and now, 2 million years later, I live in a house with heat and running water. Sure is a change from the old days........