Barn Find!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Interesting :rub.What are your plans for the exhaust hook up from the engine to the "hair-dryer"?

Richard1956

I'm about broke, so i am using the stock manifolds. The car sits high enough that we are going to Y the exhaust together and send them under the K member infront of steering, up to the turbo. The exit will 45 down inbetween the firewall and inner fender, outside of the frame.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Cool,please post pictures when done.How much boost are you planning on running,and what's the engine build in the way of compression,type of piston,and camshaft?

Richard1956

It's all top secret Just kidding. Prob will spend most of its life around 5-6 psi. I tried to build it to hold about 15. That way I won't blow anything up.
Cam is from comp and its a custom grind. They ground it a few numbers off on the exhaust side and messed up what i wanted. Then Bob Walla did some math and running 1.8 ratio rockers on the exhaust brought it back to almost what i planned. I can post the cam specs if you want.
Compression is higher than i planned. Thought i had a truck block but turned out to be a car block. So i think i am gonna be around 10:1. I will just run less timing and maybe add water meth to keep it from detonating.
The pistons are Icon from showcars, and the rods are forged H beam. Also running ARP main studs.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well,as far as compression goes,if you're running aluminum heads,the heat disapation will lower your engines running cylinder pressure by the same amount as you'd get by lowering your compression ratio by 1-1 1/2 points as compared to iron heads, so 1o-1 will actually be between 8 1/2 and 9 to one.The methanol addition will reduce or eliminate the need for timing retard ,at least until you go past about 12 psi on the boost.Yes,I'd love to see the specs on that cam,but I'd bet that it's in the 113-114 lobe separation range.Just make sure that your quench is in the .040-.048 range.For whatever reason Comp tends to run less lift on the exhaust side on their turbo grinds.:dunno

Last edited:

Richard1956

Lift In .556
Lift ex .558
Duration In 230
Duration Ex 232
LSA 115
C/L 110
For some reason it is telling me the picture is to large

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
What type of 6 speed are you running ? Looks like a Tremec ? where does the shifter location come out, is it in front of the seat or between the buckets.

I have contemplated putting a TR6060 in my 64 but haven't done any measurements yet.

Richard1956

IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0809.JPG
What type of 6 speed are you running ? Looks like a Tremec ? where does the shifter location come out, is it in front of the seat or between the buckets.

I have contemplated putting a TR6060 in my 64 but haven't done any measurements yet.
It is actually a ZF out of a corvette. They supposedly can handle a little more power but I'm sure if i ever have to rebuild, it will be more expensive also. I wish i had buckets. The shifter box just touches the bench seat bottom frame, with the seat all the way back. I will either have to remove the shifter and heat and bend it or notch the seat. It is a little left of centerline and i believe it will work out great. I had to make a tranny mount for it. It only has 2 inline bolts on the passenger side for the torque arm that goes to the rearend. I made a mounting plate off them and mounted a regular mount. Then i used rectangle steel and made a cross member. Its a little crude but will work.

Last edited:

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Boy I like the looks of that. There is a local guy to me that has a 64 ss rat rod that has a pro charger set up on a sbc that gets more looks than my 409 63.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What are you using for the throttle body? I can't read the pic very well.
Looks good!

Richard1956

If anybody tells you a single piece driveshaft will work with a longer transmission, go ahead and dot them in the eye. I am having to modify the tunnel to get it to fit. Plus i am going to have to strap the rear up because the driveshaft wont drop low enough when put on a lift.