Barn Find!

Richard1956

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in Fuel Injection or electronic Ignition. I'm happy though to exchange ideas and share what I've researched and learned.

Here is a thread with the parts and information I'm using, including a cam and crank sensor and coil packs:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/fast-xfi-coil-packs-on-a-348-409.26786/

Initially, I was going to try modify an LS setup, but it needs a cam sensor with four signals rather than one. A knock sensor from an LS setup would be nice, but I knew I wouldn't be doing a lot of redline revving. Then there were other considerations regarding how and where to mount the crank sensor and it would be a lot of work to modify the timing cover and other components. In short, I went a different route. Hence, I'm curious about the route you choose.

I can't wait to see what you choose. There are one or two other members that have going with a modern fuel inject system and with any luck, they will chime in. I think one of them has theirs setup in a manner which may not need the cam sensor, something about batch versus sequential firing.

Good luck!
You only need a 4 pulse signal with the 58x tooth reluctor wheel. If you use a 24x reluctor you only need a 1 pulse cam signal. The 411 ECU was used in the non
LS vortec engines so it is the go to computer for swaps. You can use the knock sensors they used in the side of the block. I admit i am still working out the crank signal. After ruining my timing cover trying to put it under it like a vortec, i am now getting it scaled to a larger size and cut. I am either going to put it flush on the back side of the dampener(using the pulley bolts) or mounted out front with a snout(sorta like the ones that drive dry sump pumps).

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that while those factory parts are likely more reliable,I'll first use something much more simple.Like a FITech throttle body type.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Holy Cow.....what a find !!!!!
Have fun with it......look forward to seeing the pics with the W in the engine bay !!!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have you checked this site/vendor out:
https://www.eficonnection.com/

I was almost sold on using their setup but I couldn't come up with an easy way to get the cam and crank signals without modifications to the timing cover and fitment. The other item that changed my mind was not knowing how best to modify an LS intake to fit the intake runner spacing on the W block. There were a couple of other problems at the time I didn't try to work around. Once I took a closer look at the Fast XFI and found I could do Coil On/Near Plug, I quit looking into this path.

As flexible as I've heard the HP Tuner is, I'd think it would work with almost any reasonable setup.

Can't wait to see how your solution and setup works!

Good luck!