Battery for 62 409

Rondecurtins

Well Known Member
I am going to buy a new battery for my 62 impala 409. My question is what is the correct battery for the car. I believe it is a Yellow top Delco. Also any leads on where I can purchase one.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Try battery central,these were supposed to become available last fall but they way things are who knows.They are a sealed agm battery.I have a red capped one for my Gto
that I bought last spring and have had no issues with it.I dealt with a gentleman named Wayne.

DaveN

Well Known Member
If you have a set of used caps you can buy a new battery from autozone or wherever make sure the top is flat with no vents. grind a bit off the bottom of the caps and glue them on most people cant tell the difference from a tartop. Looks very close to original.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My experience with the "correct" aftermarket batteries is that they do not last. Jegs and others have them for about $370.

Reactions: 327

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I am very familiar with his problem. The battery that is built to look like an old DC12 is over $400 now and I’m not sure if the new owners are even shipping.
One of the longevity issues with those is you must use a computer controlled battery tender for the gel battery that is actually in it and leave it hooked up. I use Granite Digital brand for all of mine and one of my batteries is well over 4 years old and still has 400CCA.
His issue is he plans on driving the car. The car’s generator is looking for a lead acid battery and will certainly degrade those types of batteries over a very short time. Also you shouldn’t jump start one of those made batteries although I’m not sure why.
Here is a solution that is acceptable to AACA class judging A guy in Belgium makes fake screw tops like original and makes a vinyl decal wrap to go around a group 24 battery body. It looks remarkable! You must find a smooth top group 24 battery with the positive terminal in the correct orientation. Toyota parts used to have them but I’ve been advised that NAPA has one now. All you have to do is peel the original NAPA vinyl wrap off use a dremel tool to cut the strap off and the little ridge that holds the strap. Then pop the vent caps cover off and press in the obtained vent caps in. Then apply the Belgium vinyl wrap.
I have one of those Belgium kits but haven’t had to use it because I try to make sure the Granite Digital battery tender is always on. Oh I use Granite Digital tenders for keeping my diesel batteries and trailer house batteries in top condition
Robert

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i Bought an expensive replica battery from Classic Industries. The battery works fine, but the quality of the appearance of the DELCO caps is really poor. I asked for a replacement because the caps are important to the “ look”. Classic was very agreeable to replacing, but they advised that after checking their inventory, all of the caps looked the same.

I did find caps on eBay, which corrected the problem - but it should have been unnecessary. The photos show the caps and the poor application of the markings I did consider hand painting them myself to correct this, but my skill set does not include details like this.

Just FYI.

Chip

Attachments

• 51EDE933-849B-465B-9E31-CD0109CE63D2.jpeg
    51EDE933-849B-465B-9E31-CD0109CE63D2.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0395ED0D-37A9-46F9-9B3F-AB4FDDA7363D.jpeg
    0395ED0D-37A9-46F9-9B3F-AB4FDDA7363D.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E66961B9-088D-430F-B987-1449CEFF6604.jpeg
    E66961B9-088D-430F-B987-1449CEFF6604.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5

DaveN

Well Known Member
A yellow paint pen will help you get the desired look too hard trying to use a small paint brush.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I am very familiar with his problem. The battery that is built to look like an old DC12 is over $400 now and I’m not sure if the new owners are even shipping.
One of the longevity issues with those is you must use a computer controlled battery tender for the gel battery that is actually in it and leave it hooked up. I use Granite Digital brand for all of mine and one of my batteries is well over 4 years old and still has 400CCA.
His issue is he plans on driving the car. The car’s generator is looking for a lead acid battery and will certainly degrade those types of batteries over a very short time. Also you shouldn’t jump start one of those made batteries although I’m not sure why.
Here is a solution that is acceptable to AACA class judging A guy in Belgium makes fake screw tops like original and makes a vinyl decal wrap to go around a group 24 battery body. It looks remarkable! You must find a smooth top group 24 battery with the positive terminal in the correct orientation. Toyota parts used to have them but I’ve been advised that NAPA has one now. All you have to do is peel the original NAPA vinyl wrap off use a dremel tool to cut the strap off and the little ridge that holds the strap. Then pop the vent caps cover off and press in the obtained vent caps in. Then apply the Belgium vinyl wrap.
I have one of those Belgium kits but haven’t had to use it because I try to make sure the Granite Digital battery tender is always on. Oh I use Granite Digital tenders for keeping my diesel batteries and trailer house batteries in top condition
Robert
So are you saying buying a battery now for a 62 ( not date correct , just to start a driver) , it will not last even if using an alternator? Just curious to know. Thank you.