Bayer Z-11

409Kid

Well Known Member
I have a couple of questions

Am I correct to assume that all Z-11s were assembled in Flint MI? What are some of the build differences? Are the individual main X frame rails mandrel bent box tubing or are they two piece stampings that are mated and welded together? Would there be other specific areas on a Flint constructed car I should be looking for? My goal is to find as close to a visually correct car as possible. I know it’s only a tribute to the original car but I do want to build it as close to how it rolled off the assembly line. It cost less to build it right the first time than to go back and fix mistakes.

The reason I’m asking is I found a nice V8 auto, no options, original paint/int unmolested LA donor car in my region. Very solid floors, braces quarters, rockers etc. but if it has the wrong frame type I’ll pass on it and keep looking.

Looking for ‘63 15” steel wheels

Also I’m in need of an original aluminum water pump if any one is willing to let loose of one.

I’m also looking for reciprocating pieces before I go a stroker kit route.

Anyone who can advise me on this restoration.

Can some one send me a pic of their Z-11 trim tag for comparison? I’m still trying to locate the originals from the PO. He might have them but without seeing the options portion of the tag it would be a crapshoot. A lot of cars have gone through his hands over the years.

If I understand the data I do have the vin tag would have read 31847F167173. I’m still hoping both data plates have survived just for the parts provenance.

I’ve located a July 62 P case and 4 series posi with 4:56 GM gears. Trying to negotiate a price for them.

409Kid

Well Known Member
The posi arrived yesterday. The carrier and R&P arrived today in a bad way. Looks like it fell off the FedEx truck on the freeway. Tracking showed both out for delivery yesterday. Then the 2nd package went AWOL. This morning’s updates said the label was unreadable. New label applied and out for delivery. Label hell! FedEx put it into another box to hide the fact that they damaged it and dumped it on my porch. Carrier took a hard hit to the snout but the casting isn’t broke. The ring and pinion will require dressing up before it can be used if at all but I’m fairly sure they are salvageable. Either way I’m not a happy camper …IMG_5635.jpegIMG_5638.jpeg73411519127__17760695-8006-4010-96D1-7B509768934A.jpegIMG_5641.jpegIMG_5640.jpeg

409Kid

Well Known Member
Apparently the only shop in my region with a Cam Doctor sold it and their cam grinding equipment to Delta Cams in WA state. I’m going to get a tube to ship the cam I got in this purchase up to Delta to be evaluated and cleaned up. I probably won’t use it but I’d like to know what the specs are nonetheless.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I hope you documented and send FedEx pics of THEIR FUKUP
Good tube is 2" sched 80 cpvc pipe. You can even get slip/female couplings and caps for ends. Tell cam shop you want it returned in that tube. Then label and save cam in the tube

409Kid

Well Known Member
Re. FedEx. I call them,”Fed Up”. Been down that road before. They say the shipper didn’t package it properly. The frustration of just trying to file a claim and talk to a live person is pointless. Nothing ever gets resolved and is satisfactory. The seller ended up and refunded what I paid for the R&P so I let it go at that point.

PVC pipe as a shipping tube is an interesting way to protect the cam. Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:
Reactions: 327