Best way to store a crank

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It has been said that they can bend if Layed flat and unsupported so it is not recommended. I have a hard time believing that unless it's been sitting 20 years, but I don't want to take that risk in case it's true.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I have a few cranks from back when we had our first Reunion (2004?) and they've been on the shelf since then. Took three of them to Tony for my last build, he picked one but noted all three were OK. So I guess the shelf approach isn't all that bad. I have some standing upright but am always concerned about bumping into them or knocking them over by mistake.

Thanks for all your advise. For now I plan to move all the cranks and place them on shelves. I do like the idea of making a wooden cradles for them, once I get settled I hope to go that way.

Cheers! TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That would be a good solution, to use the blocks to house them. Just need to flip each one over in it's cradle and bolt that crank up. But that's a lot of muscle required :). Heck, just moving things a little bit every day has me worn out :). Today i hope to relocate four bare blocks, none have cranks. Might be a good chance to house a crank or two.

Cheers! TomK