Black ghost scam at Mecum Auctions

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Although I really have no idea, I would not put it past any company to play the long game. Like taking a car that possesses value and desire, create a mysterious story, tie it to a combat veteran, continually hype the story culminating in a major auction with a big price tag to further hype the car and story. All with the game plan of creating a movie that will bring in a huge amount of money. Lastly the purchaser Ryan Snyder, would turn out to be in on it too and is only holding the car until after the movie has made money. Then returns the car because it wasn't really for sale :dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno The older I get, I realize how we have been constantly manipulated in the past by companies. Things like Smirnoff Vodka comes to mind. James Bond might not exist without the Vodka promotion. Yep, the movie was bankrolled to promote Smirnoff Vodka.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Uncle Tony says at the end of his video what the son’s mission statement is what he does for a living……..And it is exactly what they did enhancement making things more profitable more costly more desirable with a storyline that grabs you ……and pulls you in……….I’ve been reading stuff about that car for….. I bet you three years ago I started seeing articles

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Curious as to why the guys from the Detroit area and that were involved in the racing on Woodward Avenue wouldn’t chime in, and totally debunk the story

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We had several areas on Long Island were we went racing during that time. One of the more famous was RT. 231 and all those guy’s knew each other and who had the fastest cars. If any of them got wind of a fake story they would have been all over it like stink on sh*t

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Curious as to why the guys from the Detroit area and that were involved in the racing on Woodward Avenue wouldn’t chime in, and totally debunk the story
Curious about that also. Some basic math puts the racers most likely between 68 to about early 80's years old now. Are they still around? You know how stories change from one person to another on the same day. Add 50 years and wow! Either way, the Black Ghost is winning because here we are talking about it. Of course I could not afford the car, and even if I could I would never pay that much, and I will not watch the movie if it's a fraud, so my opinion really doesn't matter much.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That is so funny you posted this, I just watched the UTG video a couple days ago, I agree, total scam. I read about the fluff (scam) part too in Mopar Action magazine as well.....because I have a subscription.... :hide :fear2

Tony mentioned my Mopar hero for comparison too which I thought was ON POINT:good:good Jimmy Addison's GTX:bow:bow:bow:bow a REAL street racer.

6817A959-865B-4D24-A6B8-1FC74C2CCA3C.jpeg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
If the black ghost would’ve been a real deal ……..surely there would’ve been some match up with the silver bullet or stories about one of the other chasing each other down……. like uncle Tony said, I don’t doubt that the father who owned the car was a proud man and that was his pride and joy and maybe in the small circles he ran in he dominated some small time racers…..Unfortunately it does just seem like….. too good to be true

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Exactly. Godfrey Qualls was an outstanding American by all accounts. His bone stock Hemi Challenger is outstanding too as it is, without the phony story. But, it wouldn't be worth a million bucks without all the hype.

Makes me sad honestly, all this high dollar muscle car crap. I'll stick to my low dollar junkyard Chevy stuff.

alexm900

Well Known Member
Never heard of the Black Ghost and dgaf anyway, probably too old for that. A long time ago I watched Vanishing Point and bought an R/T in Switzerland for CHF6K in the early 80s, my first car. Blew up the engine (440) because I was too young, but soon enough replaced it with a Hemi from PAW that we assembled with friends in my kitchen. Good times.

Attachments

• 440RT10861.jpg
    440RT10861.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
He just lost some credit with me when he answered the racism accusation. Nothing he said was racist. The only people who would call it racism are the true racist. He should never have felt the need to qualify it. Very old tactic. Your a racist. No I am not. Your a racist. No I am not. Your a racist. No I am not and I can prove it. WRONG! Let them prove you are. Better yet, remove them from your life. Now they put a person in the position to defend themselves when it should never be, nor should they answer. Because your either a racist or your not. And you cannot prove your not to anyone that thinks you are. So now a 3rd of his story is about how he is not a racist and a sexist, etc. Wow, what a loser. What a world we live in.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
He just lost some credit with me when he answered the racism accusation. Nothing he said was racist. The only people who would call it racism are the true racist. He should never have felt the need to qualify it. Very old tactic. Your a racist. No I am not. Your a racist. No I am not. Your a racist. No I am not and I can prove it. WRONG! Let them prove you are. Better yet, remove them from your life. Now they put a person in the position to defend themselves when it should never be, nor should they answer. Because your either a racist or your not. And you cannot prove your not to anyone that thinks you are. So now a 3rd of his story is about how he is not a racist and a sexist, etc. Wow, what a loser. What a world we live in.
Much the same while I was in the military slavery was brought up…….And of course my rhetorical was…… I had nothing to do with it, did it happen yes, yet still I had nothing to do with it, I just happened to be born white…… and I surely shouldn’t have to pay reparations if I had nothing to do with it …..and neither should anyone else…….And yet you still still feel as if you have to plead your case…….He should plead his case, and if it falls on deaf ears ……so be it ………he made his point…….Got your back uncle Tony

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Scam, sure but not an illegal one. Just much effort to blow it out of proportion to make big bucks, and it worked
There are many laws and legal precedent where a "story" was part of the "history" of an item "of value" used to make it sell for more. Where the "story/history" is false and the true value is then much less do to that false history, its very much a crime. If the new owner would like to take the previous owner to court. He would win. The only movie to ever come from this car will be about the scam, legal troubles and the classic car market issues. Mecum has a vested interest in making as much money out of this lie and would also be a party to the suit. This would be different if it was a cheaper car but we aren't talking $20k. Mecum advertised and repeated the lies for significant profit and I bet a quick look at their email chain would prove they knew they had no proof to continue the lie while also knowing the direct financial gain they would make from its sale and the secondary gain in status it would bring in the collector car market. I've been to dozens of Mecum show sales and I have bought and sold there myself. The general consensus in the classic car world is this was a lie/scam. Which means this specific investment will never sell again for what was just paid so he will have to think long and hard as to whether he just eats the cost and sells the car later for ten times less or whether he goes to court. My guess is court will be coming soon.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Nice follow up video. Thanks for posting. Racism, pssshhhh. Not even gonna lower myself to that level and entertain the idea. Race is only a talking point for closet racists.

'Shirley was still doing DISHES when there was a black woman out there racing fuel funny cars.' Get em Tony:D

Pretty cool he tuned for Bobby Lagana, brother to Billy Lagana if I remember correctly. (Locomotion)

Last edited: