Blue smoke

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check the inside of the hose between the valve and the carb.If it's oily,you've found your problem.If your car has the "restrictor' like Jeff mentioned remove it and replace it with a regular PCV valve unless you're heck bent on everything being of original design.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check the inside of the hose between the valve and the carb.If it's oily,you've found your problem.If your car has the "restrictor' like Jeff mentioned remove it and replace it with a regular PCV valve unless you're heck bent on everything being of original design.
Good catch on the oil between the valve and the carb. That would resolve any of my concerns.

427John

Well Known Member
After re reading thru the previous posts,in one you indicated your oil fill tube is un baffled,in another Don recommended putting some coarse steel wool down into the tube below the PCV connection in the tube,did you try that?It is very important to have some kind of baffle where the vapor exits the engine.All factory systems have some sort of oil separator in line whether it be baffling, steel wool type mesh,or a dedicated oil separator.The coarse steel wool stuff was actually used by Ford in their FE HP intake manifolds and Lincoln MEL valley covers,there was a little basket packed full of the stuff that sat down into the otherwise unbaffled opening for the road draft and later PCV connections.I believe that the cannister that sticks into the valley of early small blocks for the road draft also was packed full of it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That steel wool will let the engine breath but the oil mist will condense and flow back down into the engine is the reason for mentioning it in the first place.Now that the baffle is in place and that you have a good gasket seal,I'd try that next.

427John

Well Known Member
Did I miss a post where he installed a baffled tube Don?I am thinking he still has the pcv valve hooked to an unbaffled fill tube and fresh air supply to the the old road draft hole.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I believe he has the rear just going into the air filter housing, so that should be good. Maybe the wrong PCV, they do make different ones.
How much blowby does this engine have if you run it with the breather open and no PCV hooked up?

427John

Well Known Member
La is right on the money about pcv valves there are valves that look identical with different part numbers that have different vacuum setpoints and flow rates.The manufacturers could have different valves spec for different levels of tune for the same engine ie. 1 for an engine with 9 to 1 compression and hydraulic cam a different 1 for the same engine with 11 to 1 compression and solid lifter cam.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What duration cam are you using? Running lower brakes also ? You may not have enought vacuum for the pcv system to function properly. Just wondering since you have never mentioned your engine spec's.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
engine is a 62 qb with 690 heads crower cam previous owner didnt have cam spec,s its a little lumpy has had bigger valves installed and is a solid lifter cam what size steel wool? filler tube has no baffle. seems like you wouldnt want to get any of that steel wool down in lifter valley any chance of that?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Oil under carbi? Remove pcv from carb and let it run to remove all oil from intake. Just let the hose from intake vent to atmosphere That may take a little while . If it quits you are drawing oil from pcv .system.If you get a lot of crankcasr pressure from vented hose to atmosphere you might have excessive blowby.
Did you try this?

427John

Well Known Member
engine is a 62 qb with 690 heads crower cam previous owner didnt have cam spec,s its a little lumpy has had bigger valves installed and is a solid lifter cam what size steel wool? filler tube has no baffle. seems like you wouldnt want to get any of that steel wool down in lifter valley any chance of that?
What we are talking about isn't really steel wool its more like steel pot scrubbers if you google scrubble there's a restaurant supply company called acs keep following the links on there website and you'll see what I'm talking about but they're usually in grocery stores in the household items section,but its not Brillo pads,its much coarser.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
How much vacuum at an idle speed of 700-750 rpm does the engine make? You can use the copper or brass colored pot scrubbers,only use about 1/4 of it .Shove it in to about 2 inches below the inlet for the pcv.WARNING;you'll now need to pour the engine oil in at a slower rate.