Blue smoke

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Being made out of steal, I have never had to replace them if they came out of an aluminum intake.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
So just a quick update I changed out the manifold gaskets used all the rtv mentioned and still am sucking in oil to manifold somewhere thought I,d give it some run time but still getting oil into manifold valley which in turn is burning oil on plugs next step?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Oil under carbi? Remove pcv from carb and let it run to remove all oil from intake. Just let the hose from intake vent to atmosphere That may take a little while . If it quits you are drawing oil from pcv .system.If you get a lot of crankcasr pressure from vented hose to atmosphere you might have excessive blowby.

Last edited:

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I changed my ‘63 back to a road draft tube in place of the pcv system. I actually found I had no pcv valve, just the restrictive fitting at the rear of the manifold, not connected to anything. So air gets sucked through the air cleaner, into the engine and out the road draft tube. The flow difference just has to be huge vs a pcv.

I hope it improves a low speed smoke/ fumes issue. Unfortunately the clutch failed on the test drive, so I don’t have definitive results yet. I am going to go ahead and think it made an improvement.....

Chip

427John

Well Known Member
There is absolutely no reason a proper PCV system will not work on a w engine,if there are issues with it, it is because it either isn't a proper system( too much flow/wrong pcv valve or insufficient baffling where the vapor exits the engine) or mechanical issues with the engine (excessive blowby).The benefits of having a PCV system are worth the effort of installing a proper system especially on cars that are going to see significant use.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
6 thanks as stated before my system consist of a pcv in front carb with 1/2 inch hose to filler tube with block cap 1/2 inch hose from road draft tube to air filter housing believe this is how i was told to set up earlier in this thread

tenxal

Well Known Member
If it's got oil in the intake and and the intake gasket seal is good.....you're sucking oil into the intake. Get rid of the PCV setup, block the holes and put a breather on the filler tube and see what happens.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
6 thanks as stated before my system consist of a pcv in front carb with 1/2 inch hose to filler tube with block cap 1/2 inch hose from road draft tube to air filter housing believe this is how i was told to set up earlier in this thread

Your setup sounds basically like the closed setup for late 64 and 65. The only difference is the hose coming from the filler tube went to the back of the single carb, and it didn't have a PCV valve, it had a 90 degree fitting with a restriction, or about a .100 hole in it. My only concern about your setup is the short distance between the filler tube and the front carb, the larger opening of the PCV valve, and no baffling on that filler tube. Or do you have some sort of baffle on in the filler tube? If you don't, seems like it is a straight shot for the oil mist to go right to the carb :dunno