Broken Axle?

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fellas - I need some help. I think that I might have broken an axle last night at the Drag Strip. The rear end sounds fine at all speeds and no poping on turns. BUT - Stop, shove pedal to the floor and I hear a ziping sound from the rear of the car for about 60'. The noise then is gone and everything is normal. I thought that it might be the carrier but all seems happy in that area. I took a look at some photos of Jim's broken axle and it seems that if one tire is spinning with a broken axle on the other side that it might make a ziping sound due to the broken splines spinning just inside the side gear splines. What do you think?

My first race is 4/14. Does anyone know of a source that would have them in stock - if it is broken?

Yes - I do have diff caps in place.

FYI it was the first night running drag radials (215/60/14's) at the track - and they do make a huge difference over the 215/70/14's.

HELP!!!!

TomO

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I still have my stock rear laying around if you need an axle. It was a open diff. Not sure of gears. If I can help let me know.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian - Thanks for the offer. I plan to pull it apart tonight and will know more then.

Our first race is the 14th...are you ready?

Tom

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
No plans on racing this spring. Just have to much on my plate right now. Cant afford to ALL of it.:doh But I will give you a a hand to get you to the first race if you need. You sat the tires helped. How doe your 60 ft times compare.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian - The axles are good. Not a single sign of twist in the splines or in the body. I also pulled the 3rd member and splines/side gears/spiders/ring/pinion look fine. For what I have in the 3rd member a $8 gasket and a couple of hours is well spent for peace of mind. Carrier bearing is fine. I'll keep on looking for the cause of the sound.

TomO

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now that you have piece of mind what kind of improvements did the new tires make? Tell your friends what the 60 foot times were and E.T. were. We'll keep it a secret from you competitors.:D Roy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Brrr!

TomO:

It's gotta be cold out there in the garage! What happened to that 80 degree weather? Glad to hear the splines are good, maybe you're lucky and upon reassembly things will be "normal".

Cheers!
TomK

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Would be a good time to change the u joints. They can make very weird sound and vibrations. And sometimes at specific speeds only. They can go in and out. Sounds like a good time to show its self, after the first time at the track with sticky tires. I cracked a exhaust pipe at kcir last summer. On the transbrake, When I let go of the button it made a loud pop. Scared the crap out of me.:doh

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tom
What kind of rear is it? Is it posi with friction clutches? Maybe you need a friction modifier ( posi additive) clutches may be chattering, or worse, burnt!

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used to have a '64 Impala with a 396 and 4 spd 30 years ago. It would bend the driveshaft center hanger bearing holder to the side and the driveshaft would rub inside the X frame.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Guys - Thanks for all of the replies. The rear end is an orginal 8.2 P-case. It was completely gone thru 6 years ago. Fatride brought up a good point that it probally is time to replace the clutch pack (big stack of washers). It has well over 200 passes at the strip.

I finally got the time to look things over starting Thrusday night. The ziping sound turned out to be my FAN rubbing/hitting the edge of the shroud. It sure sounded like it was comming from the rear end. I relocated the shroud / replaced the fan (clutch was fine). NO more sound.

You bet I went ahead and spent the time to pull the 3rd member and check it out. Axle splines looked fine.:cheers

TomO

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, Glad you found the cause of the noise. I once pulled a 4 sp. because of a noise I was positive was coming from the trans or clutch. Long story short,,,, a broken spider gear in the rear-end. Those doggone noises can be tricky.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Got to love sticky tires. The will find alot of neat things for you! Glad it was simple. Not sure if Ill see you this weekend. If I can get off early enough Im supposed to help my friend with his 63 polara. Hope to at least make an appearance.