Builder Blues, In a Rut, need to get motivated!!!

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am in a rut, I have spent so much time, money and intensity on the project, and now I have left it sit for the last 9 months, (in the garage with a cover) just waiting for me to finish.

All parts are bought for the most part, only header back exhaust is needed. Need to wire the new loom to the starter, distributor, mount the carb, coolant is done, engine break in is done , all paint and body work done, Yes I need to finish wiring the Vintage Air system, but its all installed, I have just suddenly lost my need to get it running yesterday, I think I just burnt myself out I think, maybe this winter I will get motivated to have it ready by spring. It is a gorgeous project and has been done well with the best of everything, which is new , but has anyone else ever hit like a BUILDER BLOCK, where your just burnt out with it, and suddenly, its like ....well I own it, its paid for, I'll get to it soon? I should be wanting to drive it, although it could be a trailer queen, IT WILL NOT, I built it to drive it.

I just cannot find my motivation to finish it yet, I probably would send it out to get finished, which seems dumb since I have done all the work (most of it very tough, 5 year build) myself, then I would be skeptical of all the work someone else done, I want most of the wiring hidden as best as possible, if I don't like something I've done, I'll change it 3-4 times, so yes I am picky, but yet I am not finishing it.......I think I need 409/64 SS Impala Therapy......lol NO ITS NOT FOR SALE, I just need to get it done, it will be fun to drive, 409, 4:11 gears, Posi, 4 speed M21, tached out at 3 grand everywhere lol, we seemed to have lost all of our sponsorship for local cruze nights, get together's etc , which is sad in-itself.

64 paint job.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Step back take a breather..... I’ve been stepping back for almost 20 years....... raise my family and a Divorce ........ but I know what motivates me, usually takes going and looking at outstanding craftsmanship .......I love to look at something that’s done by someone so specially skilled it leaves you in awe.....
Then step back look at what you’ve created .......and that should be enough because it looks pretty damn nice from what I see........

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
This might sound a bit dumb, but you might have your sights set too high in relation to build expectations.
I was only talking to a guy earlier today about the difference between a 100 point car and a 70 point car.
I have always done my own work, paint panel, chassis, engine etc, I am an impatient person and when I pay someone else I get disappointed, so with this in mind I aim for 75 %, if I get 80-90 I am over the moon, if I get 70% I step back and go well I can enjoy myself,

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This might sound a bit dumb, but you might have your sights set too high in relation to build expectations.
I was only talking to a guy earlier today about the difference between a 100 point car and a 70 point car.
I have always done my own work, paint panel, chassis, engine etc, I am an impatient person and when I pay someone else I get disappointed, so with this in mind I aim for 75 %, if I get 80-90 I am over the moon, if I get 70% I step back and go well I can enjoy myself,
Yes, I agree, when I started this it started as a 80-90% car, every attention to every detail, I wanted it concurs correct, to compete with, THEN I woke up and smelled the coffee so to speak...... (1) I did not have a $100K, (2) I wanted to improve on a few things from 50+ years ago (3) I wanted it to be mine and unique without becoming one of the SNOBS I could not stand to listen to at the car shows, so........it became this, and I am happy with it for sure, it is just not doing me any good by sitting in the garage, when you tell people what you have built and they are skeptical, need to be seen to be believable it seems, its not a special car in terms of collect-ability, standard 409(340 hp), SS 64, with power brakes and a padded dash it, the work done on it might has well been a 1 of a kind in my book as it was done well, but my book doesn't make it worth more financially, just personally.

My problem is not so much what I spent on it, that's all covered over time about $30K hard money of my own, its about making it come alive and be out there, you know living proof type thing.

I must admit I have some fears of actually turning the key and starting it, to be honest, yes I broke the motor in, etc. I am afraid it won't perform well, or I'll have some issue that could have been better, and I'll hate the car because its not as good as I thought I built it, geez us I am having a meltdown over this damn thing.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Get it together and driveable and I’m betting it won’t disappoint you, can’t imagine why a 409 4 speed won’t make you smile. You could easily trade that lump for one of those LS motors with a nice 700R, to prove you really need major brain surgery. :winner:winner:winner

Quit worrying and start doing a small thing every day and you’ll get excited to see it progress. It will sound real good with the exhaust bits you don’t have. :laugh:laugh4

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Just start on a small project. Once that gets done, move to another. Makes no difference how small a job. As long as it is getting closet to completion. I have been there many times over the years. Dont let your fears hinder your progress. Keep the faith that all is good.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Never would I undertake such a job. Hope you get back at it.

I find that I get more done on projects when I have a list. A list may help you keep from being overwhelmed and you can see progress every time you complete something on that list.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I like the list idea, I have always made a list when I get within the home stretch. I just retired as a foreman electrician and I always used the list method on all my projects, I would cross them off the list when completed. I also have a 4 year project car that I aim to finish this winter. I know how you feel, I just made a list on it a couple months ago.

Clint

Well Known Member
I am in a rut, I have spent so much time, money and intensity on the project, and now I have left it sit for the last 9 months, (in the garage with a cover) just waiting for me to finish.

All parts are bought for the most part, only header back exhaust is needed. Need to wire the new loom to the starter, distributor, mount the carb, coolant is done, engine break in is done , all paint and body work done, Yes I need to finish wiring the Vintage Air system, but its all installed, I have just suddenly lost my need to get it running yesterday, I think I just burnt myself out I think, maybe this winter I will get motivated to have it ready by spring. It is a gorgeous project and has been done well with the best of everything, which is new , but has anyone else ever hit like a BUILDER BLOCK, where your just burnt out with it, and suddenly, its like ....well I own it, its paid for, I'll get to it soon? I should be wanting to drive it, although it could be a trailer queen, IT WILL NOT, I built it to drive it.

I just cannot find my motivation to finish it yet, I probably would send it out to get finished, which seems dumb since I have done all the work (most of it very tough, 5 year build) myself, then I would be skeptical of all the work someone else done, I want most of the wiring hidden as best as possible, if I don't like something I've done, I'll change it 3-4 times, so yes I am picky, but yet I am not finishing it.......I think I need 409/64 SS Impala Therapy......lol NO ITS NOT FOR SALE, I just need to get it done, it will be fun to drive, 409, 4:11 gears, Posi, 4 speed M21, tached out at 3 grand everywhere lol, we seemed to have lost all of our sponsorship for local cruze nights, get together's etc , which is sad in-itself.

View attachment 75792
Put the carb on, wire distributor fire it up take it for a spin as is... Be sure and dump the clutch a couple of times!!! Always gets me excited!!!

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We hadn't heard from you about this car in a while and was beginning to worry.Make like a rusty fish hook,hang in there,John.

Yes sir John, thats why, just got overwhelmed by it all, but I do have a heated garage, so no excuses, need to move forward for sure.

You know better than anyone that I had to rebuild the rebuilt motor, (that still pisses me off) So I am just worried, but everyone here is right, I need to eat some spinach like popeye and get some motivation, thank you all.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Something like this is supposed to be fun. Sure it can be aggravating at times, but for the most part, it should be enjoyable on some level. It's ok to step back for awhile. I took a year off racing. Mostly I was waiting for pistons to show up. They took four months! By the time I got them, it was late in the year and though I could of gotten the car back together, I said F#$k it. And you know what? I didn't miss it at all. I went to the track and actually watched racing instead of being in the pits. I enjoyed it. The next spring I had my enthusiasm back. Now I figure if it feels like work, I just step back and take a break. The car isn't going anywhere and I don't feel bad about it.