Bummer of a noise

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Got my 62 to the house today and as I was backing it off the trailer I heard this noise that sounded like a loose lifter.

I pulled the valve cover which I was going to do anyway to adjust the valves.

They all seems close and even but went ahead and did the adjusting.

Buttoned it back up and went to take it for a spin around the block.

As I goosed it a bit the noise came back and stayed as I let off and back to idle it was still there for a bit.

Took a slow cruse around the block anyway and gave it a goose again only to hear it again.

Took it easy back to the house, popped the hood and revved it with my head under the hood and heard it again.

Sounds like a loose rocker but none were.

I also checked for broken springs when I had the valve cover off. I know they can sound like that also.

Will do a little more looking into it tomorrow but doubt I`ll be able to race it this weekend.:cuss

Life of a hotrod I guess,,,:beerbang

O,,, One more thing,,

Since Nutz and a few others have talked about noisy roller rockers, some mentioning the Scorpions like I use , I took a good listen to mine today.

I have said before that mine don`t make any noise.
So listening with a open ear and mind I would say they do have a sound to them.
I would not use the term noisy though.
Actually I like the sound, like a well oiled machine type sound.

I think those that think they are noise should approach the sound with a different view.
I don`t know if those that think this have had experience with Hp engines but the sound I hear is just the sound of a solid type lifter even though they are rollers but more refined.

Ok,, One more thing,,

another thing that happened on that short drive the temp went up to 220* in just a couple block drive.
When I pulled into the driveway and shut her off I heard the sound of coolant puking.:bang

You guys have jinxed me,,,,,:takethat

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hope it's simple...

DQ, glad to hear you are "reunited" with your race car :). Hope you sort things out and that nothing is too serious. With your luck, after parking the vehicle in storage for a bit, you'll open the trunk and find yet another set of "lost" 690s :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
dq,thats to bad about your luck,I would at least take the 62 to the track with you and try to fix it there and get some different opinions :dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No humor from me today. When an engine is injured, I feel as sad as if a person was injured. I know that sounds extreme, jmo. I hope rwagon is right, I think we have all chased that noise at some time, and then found a leaky header gasket. Good luck, Jim, keep us posted.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Check rocker arm travel on all to see if they all are doing the same. I found my bad cam that way when I had a weird noise comeing from the engine. We took off the coil wire and pulled plugs cranked her over and there she was. I guess I am being a bit paranoid. John

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't you just hate that !!!!

DQ,

Sorry, VERY sorry to hear you are having problems with the 409.... Know that all of us are feeling your pain, especially me, you have been an big help to me and I wish you the best. I didn't mean to drag anyone else down my long path of struggles... Keep after it and you will triumph !!! :)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys,,
I didn`t feel too bad last night figuring it was just one of those things.
This morning I`m bummed to the max !!:cry

Even to the point of saying nasty words out loud as I drove to get my morning cup O joe,,

I can say with experience it IS NOT a bad cam !!

I will bring in some fresh ears today and have a friend listen to it but i feel that what ever is wrong is not going to be an easy fix sorry to say.

I know what that sound is now that I have had it in my head for the night but I`m not going to say at this time hoping it is something else.

Funning thing is the noise was not there when i last drove the 62 and parked her for the winter:dunno

I will be going to the Oldies But Goodies to meet up with everyone and drowned my sorrows:beerbang

,,DisQualified

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok ,, so the fresh ears just left.

Sounds like something in the valve train.

Covers coming off and another visual inspection.

Brian seems to think its a broken spring or something of that order.

I`ll keep you posted,, dq`ed

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bummer of bummer noises?

I sure hope for your sake that I'm wrong here..

PISTON SLAPPING:

Does the sound have a set predictable metal to metal sound or is it intermittent? Does is make more noise when cold, and taper off somewhat when warmed up?

Some hipo motors (specifically built for racing) will do this, but only when bone-cold, and virtually disappear when the engine warms up.

But, an engine that was slightly overbored (beyond what the pistons called for (.030, .040 -- worn or slightly overhoned or over-bored to .034, .045, etc), or a cylinder or two is worn or out-of-round -- the piston skirts can "slap" the cylinder walls. The reason the noise tapers off after warm-up, is because the pistons will expand enough to make the slapping less noisey, disappear entirely, or become relatively intermittent.

Drain the oil and look for metal... if it is piston slapping and severe enough, the piston skirts can break-off and the chunks of metal will show up in the pan. If there is no metal, replenish the oil and throw in a can of STP or other similar product, and see if it tames the noise down a bit.

As another poster pointed out, exhaust leaks can fool you... just check out all joints... the exhaust manifolds (at the head), header pipes, etc. Even a cracked header itself can fool you (such a crack will contract and expand relative to temperates too).

And, as yet another poster eluded to, check for a flattened cam-lobe as he described. If so, there'll be metal in the oil as well, but not "chunks".

Is there any chance something was dropped into the oil-filler tube, a tool, a bolt?

Check all your peripherals (alternator, P/S pump, fan)... is there anything clashing with the dampner?

IF an automatic tranny... check the inspection cover -- they can rub-up against the crank flange... take it off, check for signs of rubbing on the inside of the cover and trim or replace an necessary. Run the engine with it off, and see if the sounds disappear.

All this is assuming you are certain there is no valve-gear problem (broken springs, rockers loose, valve lash is correct, etc). Check if the big Scorpion rockers are hitting the drippers or valve cover (if you have stock valve covers).... Is there any noise coming from the distributor, is the cap on properly?

Last but not least... is the starter loose? Are the exhaust pipes and mufflers all clear of the frame-rails and crossmembers?

Just a few ideas.. hope they help, and I damn sure hope it's not PISTON SLAP or flattened cam-lobe(s)!

Denis

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Another off-the -wall long shot but I had a 71 Corvette that I bought new. At about 60,000 miles it started making a metallic ticking noise and it wasn't the valve train. After much troubleshooting, I was talking to an old mechanic friend who suggested it could be a carbon deposit built up on the piston that was making contact. He suggested pouring Marvel Mystery Oil down the carb while revving the engine until it starts to bog . So amid a great cloud of blue smoke I tried it and it worked. The noise stopped and never returned. I was a little concerned where the carbon chunks went but never had a problem after that.:dunno

mac1

Well Known Member
Sorry your having problems DQ.:cry Try this. Remove each spark plug wire one at a time and see if the sound goes away. I did this on a 327 that had piston slap and it turned out to be the # 6 cylinder. Piston slap happens on the power stroke so that would isolate it. I ended up changing over to Mobil full syn oil and the sound eventually went away. Could also be a worn fuel pump rod or as posted, an exhaust leak. Keep us posted...

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
All good info from those of you that replied so I`ll go into it a little deeper.

It is not:

piston slap I know that sound and that is not it.

Exhaust leaks That is what I thought it was loading the car on to the trailer and posted about that I though the gasket finialy gave out.

Flat cam No way jose !!

Stuff in engine (tools etc) Nope,,,

Rollers hitting Valve cover nope, no signs of that, Moon Covers

ETC nope,,,

Now, what it does sound like is a broken spring.
You can rev it and hold it but when you let off it sounds like a floating valve/ loose rocker.

Then when if comes back to idle it will return to normal sound within a few seconds.

I have checked the springs as best as you can without removing them to inspect them and don`t see anything that suggests a broken spring.
I do know that they can be a bear (if broken) to see while they are still installed.

I did the de-carbon tricks but it didn`t help.

This is defiantly a valve train noise.

So,,, the car will stay parked until I have the time and money to investigate it farther. also a place to do it would help.
It`s in the unsecure driveway now.

O,,, one good thing,,,

The overheating,,,, I forgot that I had removed the flex fan and was running only the elec fan which was in the off mode !!:doh :D ,,dq

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Dq: You said you checked your valve springs, ans everything looked O K, right. How about a broken inner valve spring. It happened to me one time. I only found it by taking the valve cover off, and running the engine. What a mess to clean up, but I was relieved to find the problem. Take Care. Skip:)

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Jim, how many passes on the roller lifters? I have heard some guys have them rebuilt after every season!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
Jim, how many passes on the roller lifters? I have heard some guys have them rebuilt after every season!

not that many,,,, I don`t think I would even be close to needing to do that.

But,,, a bad roller might be something to look for,, Thanks ray

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:

Fatride ,, I think you might be right,,,again,,:doh

I had another talk with my engine builder today and that is one of the of the things he said i should look into.
Roy said that it is a comon problem that after sitting all winter the bearings in the roller lifter are dry of oil and can go bad on the first spring fire-up.

Roy recommends using synthetic oil as it stays where needed for long periods.
He also recommends on the spring start up to start the engine up and hold it at 3000 RPM to get everything oiled as fast and heavy as posible.
No rolling the engine over to prelube.

I might take this a bit farther and pull the dist and preoil the engine with the preoil tool first.

One more thing as an idea is to pull the rollers out of the engine during the winter and store them in a jar of oil,,, lots of work but so is changing them and real expensive if one goes completely out during a high RPM run,,,.

I`m going to check out what a new set cost and what the charge to have them rebuilt.
New ones go in,,, old ones go for rebuild,,,

Roy builds alcohol and nitro engines and has been the head crew chief for many high dollar drag car teams.

I never thought I`d believe in syn oil but this ol dog just might have to change his mind,,,,dq

mac1

Well Known Member
I can't wait to get synthetic in my 409. IMO, it runs cooler and is quieter.
I'll have to wait awhile for the engine to breakin first.:grumble: I hope that's what your noise was. Mac

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've run roller lifters for 20 years and I have not had any problems after 20 start ups after winter.:dunno If this happened to an Alcohol engine I can understand because of the water you get in your oil.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Noise

Another overlooked spot for noise is the fuel pump. I had one fail. Bent the fuel pump arm, smash the pump housing and break the spring and still pump fuel. Made some noise though. Just a thought. I also wonder if you are experiencing the rocker arm harmonics that happens at certain rpm's. Quite an unnerving noise to say the least. Hope all goes well.