Cam replacement

HRC

Street Rodder??...Them's fightin words in my camp...;) There is absolutely no street rod in any of my cars. Billet and bling is not allowed. Here's my sedan, same laquer paint and upholstry since the 60s, straight axle, ladder bars in the back, no hood sides of course, bare bones hotrod....I do have a '62 Biscayne 2dr post car as well awaiting to be resurected. model a.jpg

Street Rodder??...Them's fightin words in my camp...;)

There IS a difference, isn't there ?:deal

HRC ?
"Hot Rod Car" ?;)
makes sense
GREAT car:bow

As Ronnie said, and I usually preach too.... modern cams can be more efficient.
However, my experience with Erson during the mid 80's, was that they seemed to be very up-to-date in their lobe profiles.
That cam installed with the valve timing 4 degrees advanced, will give great attitude, and is very well suited to large port heads. The slight advance will pull the torque curve into a slightly lower RPM. Will still need to see that 2700 minimum RPM cruise though.
but that's a HOT ROD !
We don't drive 'em everyday, or even more than 6 months of the year.... but when we do, we want to be DAMN sure that it doesn't feel like the generic SUV back at home:no

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:roll:roll Great shot, Aubrey !! that was a good one !! HRC = Hot Rod Car. I'm afraid I am completely ignorant of the correct terminology for that type of vehicle. Whatever it is called, it is a pretty cool old car. I like it.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
230/240 @ .050 110+4 solid installed in a 10.5 comp engine is plenty of cam for a street cruiser with an occasional blast down the strip. Even at that it will buck in third gear putting around town with a 350 gear. This profile cam will give a nice lope and pull from 2000 rpm through 5800 rpm and cruise all day long at 2500 rpm..

HRC

HRC is just the initials for my old shop in Houston, Hans' Rod & Cycle...but Hot Rod Car is good as well..;) Thanks, I really like the old car, it was taken off the road in '73 to freshen up the SBC it had at the time by its owner that was going to school at Texas A&M, it still has student parking and Corps of Cadet stickers from that time on the rear window.He counldn't afford to finish it due to being a student...then got married..kids...So I bought it in 2000 where he put it on stands in '73 in his parents barn in Katy,TX. I like that its still unchopped, everyone has a chopped hotrod, so this one is a bit unique.....and yes, the difference between a Street Rod and a traditional Hot Rod is like the difference between a 409 and a 454....I'm REALLY looking forward to having a nasty 409 in bewteen the rails, just hope I don't twist up the car too much...

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ah right he offers aluminum 690's doesn't he? Good point, ill check into that.

We're hoping to have a new intake to test on the first iron block we machined. Right now we're ready to pressure test and then do the line honing. There are a lot of great modern cam profiles out there. I ran a stock Z-11 cam with a .060 over stock stroke and bone stock 690's and went 11.80's about 118 @ 4000#. A better cam would have helped. There is no perfect cam. TYou just need the one that works with your combo. Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
View attachment 17844View attachment 17845 Yeah, it is a cruiser, but I want it to scoot as well. I realize 3.50 gears and a 31inch tall tire is very conservative, but as well the 4spd is a wide ratio and the car only weighs 2500lbs or so . With this setup cruising at 55mph will give a bit over 2000rpm-. I do want a nice nasty idle so would prefer a tighter lsa and as well I dont need high rpm power

Is the lift about 595?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've had really good luck with Ultradyne lobes-now held by Bullet and some by Lunati that Harold Brookshire designed. He was on the cutting edge for modern lobes. After the IRS shut down UD he went to Lunati for awhile, Comp and I think designed the XE lobes. And Bullet got most of his masters now. Used them in alot of Pontiacs, SBC and my 470/409 has one of their rollers in it 251/251@ 0.050 on a 112, has pretty decent vacuum also. Their 288/296 231/239@ 0.050 hydraulic is a real good street strip for a 400-455 motor. My 550 hp 455 pump gas motor has the step above it 239/247 @ 0.050 on a 112 LS pulls 2" vacuum.

I never remember seeing that car at TAMU but I was on the other side of campus back then than the Corps. Got a new shop since HRC?

HRC

Yeah, I use Bullet for our race cams and regrinds as well(302 GMC for example) . I have a Bullet solid roller in our blown 432ci BBC in our Bonneville car, its a bit hairy at 284/292 @ .050 and .772/.722lift....it DOESN'T make much vacuum...;)...but makes good boost! Yeah, my model A was at TAMU about 20 years before me...;) Since I moved to Norway and shut down my full time shop, I work a normal job as an engineer and work evenings and weekends, spare time, dream of cars now. I built a nice garage beside my house , so can enjoy working on cars again, it got to be a job before, finally get to work on some of my own stuff...;). The 409 I'm gearing up to build now, I've been hauling the shortblock around since about '93 or so...it's time ot build it...I do agree this solid cam I haev for the 409 is a bit stout for my current build, I think I will pass it along and get a slightly milder cam for this initial build, but build the block and heads for a more serious motor so it's easy to upgrade.