camshaft and intake recomendation for 348 stroker

looking for some recommendations on a hydraulic flat tappet grind camshaft and induction for the 380 W series stroker i am slowly building.... looking to make 400 hp . engine so far is as follows .030 block, 10.5:1 ross pistons 6.135" h beam eagle bbc rods, 409 crankshaft. 817 heads with 2.06/1.72 valves.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm no expert but here's a couple of cams from Aubrey's site that might be good. My guess is the first one probably wouldn't quite get you to 400hp but I think the second one should.:dunno

Part # H-224557D
Advertised Duration 268/280
Duration @.050 224/230
Lift .557/.560

Part # H-230569D
Advertised Duration 274/286
Duration @.050 230/236
Lift .569/.574

Here's the link... http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/409chevyengineparts.html

I think the best intake would be the single quad, single plane one Aubrey's working on.
If you wanted to go with a dual quad, I think the Edelbrock might be a little better than the Offy for 400hp or less, but that's just a guess. I'm hoping others might also have an opinion.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
All 348 Ws come with a notch in the cylinder wall that will lower the comp ratio unless the Ross pistons have this figured in. I'm guessing for a big horse 348 will need some big compression.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This 388ci stroked 348 made 355hp at the rear wheels... http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9306 Using a really conservative 15 percent for driveline loss that works out to 417hp at the flywheel. My guess is this engine would likely pull 425hp or more on an engine dyno.:scratch
He used a solid flat tappet cam with 242-246 @.050 duration. When you allow for valve lash the duration would be comparable with a hydraulic cam with about 234-238 @.050 so it's not too far off the second cam I mentioned earlier.

pistons

actually aubrey i am yet to buy the pistons.. and yes i do still plan to get them from you and possibly a camshaft since it seems out of all the guys i have talked to your the only one that has faith in the w series engines and is the only guy that seems to be able to supply the hardcore quality parts for them. everyone else i talk to gives ya the usual response build a small block or big block chev and leave the past in the past lol well i dont think that way im going W series it suits the era of car....and you make them rumble good....:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Belair wagon.......... wrong again :takethat:takethat:takethat

There are many hard core 409 guys on here....... and a lot of them can make them sing........ yes Aubrey is one....... how 'bout a couple of 409's that can do mid 10's in full size Chevy's........ actually there's a lot more than a couple Oh.... and don't forget that dump truck engine down there in Texas....... there's many more.

Dave

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
??????????????????????

Did we lose a couple of posts here last night?????????:dunno:dunno:dun

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ohh........Sorry Phil......here's a post I'll give back.....

Fence+Post.jpg

:roll:roll

Yeah, I deleted mine because I made Ronnie mad. Ronnie... well, I think he may have deleted his, because I deleted mine:dunno.

Who cares ????

Dick's post is WAY WAY WAY better anyhow:beerbang:beerbang

I bet I can find some posts like that around here too:deal

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I read them both before they got deleted...I hope nobody got too PO'd because it seemed like an honest difference of opinion. I'd say no harm, no foul and it was handled well by all involved.

I enjoy reading as many of these posts as I can because there is always something to be learned about these old warriors. The engines, that is. And sometimes we learn a little bit about the people as well.

But...there did seem to be a big discrepancy in those test results, and we'll probably never know all of the reasons, so it's open season on speculation, I guess. We'll never see the kind of dyno flog they do on the other Chevies, simply because the W's are so scarce and parts aren't being handed out for this sort of test.

Plus, there may only be a few hundred of us that would care about the outcome!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Aubrey, You did not make me mad. As boxerdog said, just an honest difference of opinion. It takes a heck of a lot to make me mad. Something in the order of knowing Phil is in Texas without acquiring permission from proper authorities, ( me ). I deleted my post because it made no sense with Aubreys being deleted. Water under the bridge. Aubrey and I have had difference of opinions before and probably will in the future. Isn't that what an open forum all about? Crap! We cant all agree about everything , all of the time. I respect Aubrey for his knowledge and skills, certainly no hard feelings coming from here.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dyno BS.

Dyno Smyno............................numbers are just that, numbers. Take a full size Chevy and shoot it down the 1/4, and that will tell ya how much power your making. :coffee: