Camshafts

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When looking ffor a new camshaft for your build or to upgrade your eexisting combo.I suggest getting with Camcrafters.Tom Monroe contacted me about an upgrade that he's doing and we decidded on a 63 09 cam for the 425 horse engine .That was the 690 cam,and even with upggrades like a tighter lobe seperation[110] and lobe centerline[106] the cost was 265.00 plus shipping.Thiis is the best price that I've seen for a flat tappet cam post ccovid.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Yes! Thank you for that. They have all the factory cams in their catalog. I had been looking for a factory grind cam for the 409 I will be building next year.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Camcraft,yes,I think Charley retired and sold the company.The new guys are great to work with however.
Don yes Charles my old schoolmate sold it,retired and has a couple health issues since but in conversations with him this week he said that they should still have several profiles ready to go for 409’s
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
On Tom's engine,we're using the 690 cam,and having it ground on a 110 lobe seperation as opposed to the factories 113-114,and a lobe centerline of 106.We're not hanging the lobe lift.The 690 cam is the early 425 horse cam.The later cam when used with 690 heads ,will require a bit of ''trickery'' inorder to work with 690 heads.The extra expence and work isn't worth it for this engines purposed use.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
On Tom's engine,we're using the 690 cam,and having it ground on a 110 lobe seperation as opposed to the factories 113-114,and a lobe centerline of 106.We're not hanging the lobe lift.The 690 cam is the early 425 horse cam.The later cam when used with 690 heads ,will require a bit of ''trickery'' inorder to work with 690 heads.The extra expence and work isn't worth it for this engines purposed use.
Also advanced 4 degrees.
The cam is Camcrafts 3830690.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Tom, how much lead time did you need to order and receive that new cam?

And did you order lifters with that cam?

Best, TomK

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tom, I havent actually ordered the cam yet. Iam waiting on a call back from Hunter Webb the general manager (holidays). I did get a quote from him for $265.00 The lead time i heard is approximately 12-13 weeks, i dont know for sure how long. I didnt ask about lifters yet, but will be going with solid flat tappet EDM lifters. This car is street driven, so nothing to radical and the project is for next winter, i'm gathering the parts now.