Car came out

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I've been married for 18 years. Most years I forget. Not this year, card and all! I have been fighting with my back for the last month. Six weeks ago I had to crawl ( literally) around the house because of my back and leg. It is getting better, but still pretty bad. This is slowing my progress quite a bit. I will get it in this week for sure.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I feel you on the back. Had to take a pill just to get out of bed today. And now, yippeeee, I get to take my wife to some celtic dance thing at the convention center. She is worth it, however I don't have to like going to this thing. However in a month it will be 31 years, and she has been worth it the whole time. I still don't have to like the celtic thing though I will sit through it and smile.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Been down that saiatica nerve road crawling around taking hydrocodone before getting up. Sucks....:gaah

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Be careful putting that new transmission in and don't over do it or pull anything. Sometimes just moving the wrong way will set it off even if you aren't lifting anything at all. Mine got messed up in 1997 and then much worse in 2009 or so and I wouldn't let them cut on me. I am going to bite the bullet and let them before too much longer as I won't do pills and am tired of hurting 24/7. Kinda waiting around until something else causes us to have our deductible close to met ($5000) and then I'm going to tell the doctor that if he can get it done before the end of the year I'll let them do it.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
That's where I am. I use to have blue cross insurance that we paid for covering the whole family. Then when the affordable health act came around, my premiums tripled. We had to drop health insurance. Luckily the family is pretty healthy, and when we went to the hospital, we paid out of pocket. My wife signed us up for slow bama care, and it is pretty much worthless. When I went to the chiropractor, they asked if I had insurance, I said yea, some slo bama care. I told her I would just pay for my visits instead of relying on that slob for anything. I am not sure what would be worse, paying for the surgery, or all the time from work I would be missing. I am self employed. Damned if you do or damned if you don't. I will say that something will have to happen pretty soon though. The pain has really been dragging me down. Sorry for the pity party. I don't usually like to b!tch too much. I now have the trans in the garage, and am going to jack it up. Off to work! Thanks for listening.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't feel like it's a pity party as it sounds like there are a lot of us on here going through the same thing. I have 6 discs (T5 to T10) that are pretty much gone and my spinal chord is compressed. I still do a lot of stuff I shouldn't do on a daily basis, but kinda know my limitations most of the time. Between still helping with lifting things at work and still looking healthy - most people have no clue that I'm in pain all the time so when I do say I can't or won't do something they think I'm BS'ing them. I've just gotten to the point that I am afraid I'm going to move the wrong way or pick up something one day and lose everything from that spinal compression down.

Hang in there and be careful. Your friends are always here when you need to vent. Especially about Obutthole and his "healthcare" plan. :rolleyes

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm right there, with you guy's. I know exactly what time it is when it comes to health issues, etc. I've come to realize that at our age, a guy has to really think something thru before acting. Like lifting, pulling, pushing, etc. I'd be lost without my 4 post lift, and my tractor. I bought a set of quick attach forks for my tractor, and I can't even imagine what I would do without that attachment.
I also have a 4 wheel cart with a hydraulic table that I use for pulling / installing automatic transmissions. I lift the vehicle up on my 4 post, and roll the hyd. table under the trans. It's a Godsend.
I've got osteoarthritis, take pain meds, wash them down with beer, and use my hot tub !
I've also got a bulging disc or two, but Doc says he won't do anything until they blow.
I consider myself very lucky, actually. My brother had a miserable time medically the last few years of his life. Diabetes is what killed him, slowly. 1st, he had a kidney transplant about 15 years before he died. Then, he had one leg amputated a couple years before. Then, the last year he lived, he had his other leg removed. I felt so bad for him. Diabetes is a horrible disease.
Ok. I'm done rambling. Sorry.
As we get older, it just takes longer to do things !

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, I am back from the Celtic Woman thingy. $63 bucks a ticket, plus $21 parking, think that is $147 plus gas to Sacramento. My car should be getting something out of this. As for the back thing. I am fused on L4-L5, L5-S1, 5 surgeries, if I remember it correctly, plus all the other areas that now have major problems and I wont get into my wife. Here is what I will say. If you are going to get work done, don't get the full discectomy, and avoid also if possible fusions with rods and screws, unless you have to. The micro discectomy they do where they just shave the protruding part that is going up and irritating the nerve is less invasive and better all the way around. Any time you work on the spine it's trauma. And bad things happen sometimes afterwards. Like a year in our case when everything went real bad. I have spoken to quite a few doctors over the years, plus what I have seen, and what I was told seems pretty accurate but doesn't apply to everyone. And that is, after about 5 years, often you are pretty much where you are going to be with or without the surgery. Just some thoughts.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Without the long story, I'm in the same boat as you guys.:doh Osteoarthritis, and scoliosis. Most days, I just Hurt, and feel Old.:bang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I spend most of my time with my feet elevated. Seems to be about the only pain relief without drugs and keeps my feet from blowing up.
Torn disc, scoliosis and stenosis. Just living with it Still not as bad as most of you guys, though.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Tonite I got the shifter adjusted, and the stops set. I an using the Speedway motors short shifter arms, so a little machining will be required for install. The short arms really shorten the shifter throw, and at 4 bucks or so, can't be beat. I also use bronze door pin bushings instead of the plastic bushings on the shifter linkage. Hopefully I will have a buddy come over tomorrow to help with the install. I hate asking for help, makes me feel useless. I had to work late tonite at the shop, or it probably would have been in. The chiropractor worked on a few new spots so time will tell.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tonite I got the shifter adjusted, and the stops set. I an using the Speedway motors short shifter arms, so a little machining will be required for install. The short arms really shorten the shifter throw, and at 4 bucks or so, can't be beat. I also use bronze door pin bushings instead of the plastic bushings on the shifter linkage. Hopefully I will have a buddy come over tomorrow to help with the install. I hate asking for help, makes me feel useless. I had to work late tonite at the shop, or it probably would have been in. The chiropractor worked on a few new spots so time will tell.
Brian, I like the idea of door hinge bushings on the shifter linkage!!:clap