Car Hauler Project

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This isn't really 348/409 related but as some of you may remember my business partner and I bought an old fire truck a while back. The plan is to convert it into an overgrown pickup truck to pull the race trailer.
About a week ago we finally brought it into the shop and got started so I though I'd start a post so that I can post some pictures as the job progresses. We only get to work on it in our spare time so I'm not sure if it'll be ready for spring, we'll have to see how it goes.:dunno

Here's what the truck looked like when we got it.

2008-11-30021cr.jpg

Here's a rough idea of what it should look like when it's done. We plan to paint it the same color as the 55 Chevy.

B-61pickupweb.jpg

We pulled the fire truck stuff off. We didn't go out looking for a fire truck, it just happened to be the best deal we could find on a B model Mack.

2008-12-09001cr.jpg

The frame is almost completely free of rust.

2008-12-09009cr.jpg

2008-12-09011cr.jpg

We just got this school bus today. We're going to use the driveline to re-power the Mack. The Mack has a big 707ci. gas engine. The bus has a 466ci. turbo diesel with an Allison automatic.

2008-12-12001cr.jpg

Right now we're cutting the box down and with a little luck we'll be able to drop it into place this weekend so that we can get an idea of how it will look.
I'll add to this thread as the job goes along.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw one of those old Macks yesterday while driving near Berwick, NS. Neat project.

Don

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, After seeing your workmanship on previous projects,,, I can't wait to see the finished tow truck project. Once again you have come up with a great idea. Good luck......:clap

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Jim
Great project.......:cool:

But since it is a Mack - maybe you should call it WINSTON 2........:roll

Good luck on the new ride.........:clap

:cheers

bj

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We got the box cut down and we set it in place to get an idea of how it will look. Nothing's carved in stone yet but I think the wheelbase will be pretty close to what you see in the photos and the side of the box is about as high as it can be to allow for room to clear the trailer. We just rolled a single tire into place but there will of course be dual tires on the rear axle.

2008-12-13004cr.jpg

2008-12-13005cr.jpg

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
After my past adventures with trailers, I would stretch it and.......

Make a car hauler out of it.

From the size of your trailer I'm guessing that would not give enough room?

But I would rather a small trailer of tools and tires than the car.

Might just be me, hope it works out as you intend.

Oh, and I would definitely NOT use the vertical stack, but that may just be me again.:dunno

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice projest, Jim.:clap But do you think, that rear end is beefy enough?:dunno Holy Crap:doh:roll:roll

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You're cutting up a Mack Model B Fire Engine????? AAAARUG!!!! :cry Roy

I've got to admit that I sometimes feel bad about that. The problem with old fire trucks is that everybody thinks they're cool but nobody actually wants one. I recently stoped to look at a 65 Chevy cab over fire truck that was in really good shape, much better than this Mack. It was just new enough to have a 366ci big block rather than a 409 so I didn't want it. Neither did anybody else, it went straight to the scrap yard.:cry

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim:
I think your project is awesome!!!!:clap:clap:clap

You are just "street rodding" a fire truck!! No difference that an old F##d or Chevrolet street rod!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just thought of somethin'.............are you going to add a sleeper or some room for Winston???????????:dunno:dunno:dunno

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just thought of somethin'.............are you going to add a sleeper or some room for Winston???????????:dunno:dunno:dunno

We seriously thought about a sleeper but then decided against it. Winston actually travels pretty well, he sleeps a lot but we'll have to watch what we feed him,,, "Winston farts" in a small cab could make for an unpleasant trip. :grumble::help

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Jim, maybe Winston needs one of these:roll:roll:roll

Attachments

• gasx.gif
    gasx.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 36

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
To answer Jim and Fatride, I guess that being in the fire service I think that old fire trucks are collector items. When I first was assigned to a fire station it was a two piece engine company with 2 Model B Macks, one powered by a 800 cu.in Hall Scott and the wagon running in front with a Mack engine. If I was rich I would have several restored fire engines and trucks. By the way if it has a pump it is a fire engine, if it carries only ladders it is a fire truck. Jim I know you guys will make a great looking Hauler out of the Mack. :clap Roy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great project Jim........ some advice for your suspension........ if you're going to run air......... See if you can find a Peterbilt Low Air leaf suspension or a Peterbilt Low Low Air Leaf. The Low Low may be hard to find as it's a car carrier option, but you can drop a Low Air Leaf. It will ride and handle like a dream. Check the truck wreckers and see if you can find a single axle or just the rear axle/susp out of a Tandem. Your Bus rear end will probably be pretty low geared, if you can use it that's great......You would just have to make sure the Peterbilt suspension brackets will fit the Bus rear end. if you can find the suspension it will probably have a 40,000 Eaton or Rockwell rear end attached and there are many gear ratios available for both. If you can find an older one out of the mid or late 90's, there was lots with 4.88, 4.63, 4.33, or 4.10 gears...... Just guessing at the ratio you'll need. If you need help with the ratio let me know I've got all the info at the office. The newer trucks cruise at a lower RPM and the ratios are higher.

Dave