Cars

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here is another driven by owned by Grady Bryant but sponsored by Dick Harrell... Grady Bryant teamed up with dick Harrell and won the 1963 AHRA winter nationals in a modified 1963 z11 ! In 1964 he was offered his first corporate Chevrolet sponsored car. He was also one of the first ones to drive the Chevrolet sponsored ZL1 all-aluminum 427 Camaros . He has set many records in the early sixties with AHRA and NHRA ....3561482164_99b3c51ec2_z.jpg

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is another driven by owned by Grady Bryant but sponsored by Dick Harrell... Grady Bryant teamed up with dick Harrell and won the 1963 AHRA winter nationals in a modified 1963 z11 ! In 1964 he was offered his first corporate Chevrolet sponsored car. He was also one of the first ones to drive the Chevrolet sponsored ZL1 all-aluminum 427 Camaros . He has set many records in the early sixties with AHRA and NHRA ....View attachment 72365

I worked for the same Chevy Dealer that bought the ZL-1 Camaro, Bill McKay Chev paid $10,000 for it, Grady drove it for them. It was kept next to the car I ran for them. Know Grady well.

3DB5F2C2-7458-4FCF-AFE7-4E1B93CA9DE8.jpeg1DF47BBB-1F37-45B4-8C7B-7AB3D5EF0720.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pat, I'm sure you can tell us a very interesting story about you and Grady! Please I hope you have the time to Enlighten us about your experiences with him. Did you know about the z11 1963 winternationals Champion car. Who owned it and where was it purchased from. It is amazing to me how many people's lives you have touched and you have met. The stories you tell us are so awesome and we are truly blessed to have your experiences and life stories told to us. Thanks for sharing and keep up the stories and the pictures they are priceless!:bow:cool::D can't get enough of these stories and experiences. The pictures you have are Priceless too and I assumed the ZL1 car is behind you in the back ground?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Pat, I'm sure you can tell us a very interesting story about you and Grady! Please I hope you have the time to Enlighten us about your experiences with him. Did you know about the z11 1963 winternationals Champion car. Who owned it and where was it purchased from. It is amazing to me how many people's lives you have touched and you have met. The stories you tell us are so awesome and we are truly blessed to have your experiences and life stories told to us. Thanks for sharing and keep up the stories and the pictures they are priceless!:bow:cool::D can't get enough of these stories and experiences. The pictures you have are Priceless too and I assumed the ZL1 car is behind you in the back ground?

The car behind me was a 66 Chevelle 427, over to the right you can see a 69 Camaro convertible pace car we used in the pits.
Not shown was another ZL-1 and a Camaro funny car.

Below was Dick Harrell’s Z-11 and below that is it when he sold it to Teal and Therwanger.
They painted it red, raced a while, sold to a friend of mine, he raced it a while and sold it to another friend that really trashed it. I got all the aluminum off of it and the body was scrapped.

EB876D7C-DAC3-4365-A9F8-40DF9E2BD116.jpeg6D776484-370E-43C8-8638-C01188133A6E.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes I was talking about the 69 with the tail panel facing you at an angle, I could not see the rest of the car. I did see an SS emblem on the back but I thought it might be a ZL1 car. This is great stuff Pat appreciate you sharing! Can't get enough of this stuff. This always causes me to get on the internet and start doing searches and looking around and reading. I would hate to see history like this forgotten, Nothing Better then hearing it from the person that was actually there. PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Too kind.
Remember, as anyone will tell you, it was just another day of racing.

Something new comes out, throw away the old and try to go faster with the new.

That’s what happened when we learned about the Z-28 Crossram I’m putting on the car. In AHRA, if Chevy made it for an engine you could run it. I moved a class I believe from a single 4 to dual 4’s. Anyway, Chevrolet made the kit available with everything in one box, $500.
Very fortunate to have met and raced with lots of really good people.

Maybe some more grouchy than others(like Smokey), but if they have good ideas, use them!!
Thanks for the nice words, lots of great people here with many more contacts and memories!!

Reflecting back, we had no idea it was a special time, just had to go faster on the next run.:D

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Yes Pat, it was a special time back in the day. I raced from 1959 to 1966. (got married in 66 and started a family) Last race was 1966 AHRA Nationals at Green Valley. Blew the engine so bad, part of the cam shaft was on the track. I look back on those days as very special.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s