Cars

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Cruising the strip in Toronto in 1964........ :cool:
Saw an ad in Hemmings recently for a 63 1/2 427 Galaxie......brought back this memory
so I posted it there......:clap.

It's spring 1964 in Toronto and some buddies and I are cruising Yonge St. the main drag in Toronto where all the hot cars cruised up and down on a Saturday night. Several dealerships on the strip had some high performance machines sitting on their used car lots and we had to stop in to check them out. Piggott Ford in Willowdale (North Toronto) had a white 63 1/2 Galaxie 427 4 speed hidden in the second line. We gathered around examining it and even popped the hood to see two huge Holleys - I got in behind the wheel. Remembering there was a Ford key on my ring for my Dad's 64 Fairliane - I decided to try it.
Nice fit - pump twice- - turn - crank - start. The 427 fired up and sounded like a thunder storm was about to descend. For a minute I thought 'joy ride' but cooler thoughts prevailed and I shut her down. I still dream about that car tho, we were all Chevy fans and no one went back on Monday to see what the price was. The same group would go on to buy all the new Chevy offerings for several years but never even mentioned our chance at running Yonge St in a (albeit borrowed) 63 1/2 427 Galaxie 4 speed.
Gorgeous car, white with red interior.
keep your motor runnin'
BJ

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Been reading Jim Wangers' book Glory Days (for the second time) and he mentions racing a 59 Catalina
three on the tree. As we all know the 1-2 shift is terrible and Jim realized this as well........ :rub.
He installed a 411 gear and launched in second......:clap.....imagine some spectators ..."hey - there was only one shift"...:cool: