CARSINC POOR WORKMANSHIP

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Fuzz has been AWOL for a couple of months. Hope he's ok.

Dave,

I’m fine. Just needed a break from some things that were bothering me. Thanks for being concerned.

Junky,

Sent seat cover in and Carsinc replaced panel. Carsinc said they would cover shipping both ways. So far no luck there. I’ve furnished Carsinc with mailing cost information 3 times and have not been reimbursed to date. Been a couple months from first time I notified and hope Carsinc will be true to their word. ??? Maybe member “greatchevy” who I think works there will help me out here. Will have to contact Carsinc for 4th time.

Fuzz

Junky

Well Known Member
What did they determine was the cause of the material failure? As for shipping, when I got a defective cover from Ciadella, I paid to have it originally delivered, and I also had to pay to send it back. It also paid to have the cover installed, taken off, and then a new cover installed that was made by Cars. Ciadella never refunded my money for anything, and I had to have my credit card company do a charge back, which took 90 days. My installer expects to get paid every time he installs or removes a cover, which he is entitled to. I am lucky that my installer knows how to install a cover correctly, and will stop, if there is something wrong, as he did with my carpet. I ordered a carpet for a station wagon, and received a carpet for a 4 door sedan. Everyone screws up today, manufacturers, installers, shippers, etc., it is how they handle the problem that counts. If my installer screwed up, I would expect him to eat the mistake, and I believe that is why he is so careful with his installs, and stops when there is a problem. It wasn't until the final steps that he found that Ciadella had cut the fabric short, and that there wasn't enough material to wrap around the end of the seat. He isn't the least expensive in the area, but his quality work and expertise is what I am paying for. Unfortunately, if the manufacturers screw up, they are only responsible for the return shipping, not shipping both ways. I'm surprised that Cars assumed any shipping liability prior to getting the cover back to determine where the responsibility of the defect lies, with manufacturing, or installation. Did they tell you why the cover failed? Was it their fault, or the installers?

In the first picture, is the right side, which was done correctly, however, the next 3 pictures show the left side at different angles to show how they cut the material short. MVC-001L.JPGMVC-002L.JPGMVC-003L.JPGMVC-007a.jpg

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Junky,

Joe from Carsinc said Carsinc would reimburse (pay) shipping for return and shipping back to me. So far, after 3 attempts by email asking him for payment, I’ve not received anything and have heard nothing back. Maybe “greatchevy” will come to the rescue. He seems to be on top of everything. I think he works for Carsinc. Carsinc told me tear was more than likely caused by overheating the seam. Asked my upholstery man and he said he never puts heat on seams on the flat seat seams. My wife, who used to sew drapes professionally, looked at the inside and said it was sewn too close to edge/cut and you could see how stitching was different in that area than the rest. I guess all manufacturers from all the reading I’ve done like to blame someone else. All I know is it was starting to rip apart after very few hours of seat time.
I can sympathize with you. When you pay big bucks for a product, you’d like to think you’re going to receive a quality product. You shouldn’t have to be on the hook for poor work.

Fuzz

Last edited:

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A lot of us buy stuff long before the time it is to be installed; I always have for sure. And I've been bitten more than once to find out when I go to put it on that it isn't right. This whole deal makes me at this point want to stop messing with restoring these old hulks and instead just go out and buy a new?? (Corvette?, Mustang?, Camaro?, what?). It isn't just the vendors of parts/components it is also local folks who install them or paint them or rebuild them, or whatever. Some vendors and craftsmen are great but there are a lot of boneheads out there too who cannot or will not deliver the goods and then either will not stand behind it or you have to go through way too much crap to get them to. Paint/body shops seem to be the worst offenders but I've had heck with upholsterers and platers too.

I realize this is an old thread.

Junky

Well Known Member
I don't find it difficult to find people that do good quality work, but many times, they are also the most expensive. Unfortunately, all those television shows and collector car auctions have driven up the cost of owning a collector car. Buying the car is many times the inexpensive part, however, restoring it to be a driver can still cost way more than the car is worth in the end. You have to be willing to know this before you get into the hobby, knowing that after you invest xxxx dollars into the car, you will only get half of that back latter on. There is actual value, and then there is insurance value, as described on Antique Road Show. In short, if you insure your car for $30,000, it will only bring $15,000 when you attempt to sell it.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Called Carsinc today. Found out I lied in my previous #42 and #44 posts, so telling everyone here I’m not to be trusted. I’m sure “greatchevy” is monitoring this post (as Carsinc said today they were) and can fill everyone in on the “real truth”.

Fuzz

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
greatchevy - where are you? I would like to post more about my phone conversation with Carsinc rep. yesterday and how their narrative changed (made me a liar about what I posted above) but want to give “greatchevy” first opportunity to tell the real truth. Carsinc rep. said they were monitoring this website before telling me “have a nice day and nice life” and hung up on me. He must have gotten tired of me asking if he was going to keep his word - because he didn’t and wouldn’t answer that question. Better quit here and let “greatchevy” fill us in more.

Fuzz

donsz

Well Known Member
Fuzz:
I fully agree that when you pay for a product, you should get the product as offered. If not, it is incumbent upon the seller to make good
on what they purport to sell (within reason). The following is my opinion, and certainly you don't need to agree with it, but you sound
like a stand-up guy who at least wants to hear different perspectives.

1. The seller
I think the seller is being very short-sighted over what is in the grand scheme of things a very minor amount of money. As an example, I used to
buy most all of my tools from Sears (Craftsman). If one failed, I knew I could get my money back or a replacement, no questions asked. I did do
that a few times, but I can tell you I was a "customer for life." Over the long haul, they made plenty of profit from me, and shared good will. I'm sure
others have examples of companies they do business with that treat them with the respect they deserve as a customer. It's just good business.

2. Yourself
Being treated unfairly is frustrating and easily angers a person. Your are entitled to those feelings, no one likes or deserves to be treated that way.
I would suggest now (and you have made your point well), you swallow hard and keep your eye on the ball. Your real objective is to enjoy your hobby.
Sometimes there are bumps along the way, but they are nothing but a "pimple on the buttocks of progress." My example here would be that in June I
had open heart surgery (5 bypasses). Coming close to what could have been the end (I am 73), made me get a perspective. My "pimple"
was going to prevent me from competing at the USA National weightlifting benchpress championships and ultimately the world championships.
Still I signed up for the nationals and expected to lift the bar only (45 pounds) and hope for a spot based on others maybe declining a spot on
the world team. Then I could regain my strength by the time the world competition occurred. I was really embarrassed about this strategy and it ate
me up. But I swallowed hard and competed at the nationals (I did a lowly 210 lbs, even though my doctor had limited to 10 lbs.) Now I realize the
"ball" was the world championships. Your "ball" in this situation is enjoying the hobby and you car. Don't let this "pimple"sour your perspective.
Sounds like you have great vehicle and certainly a great life surrounding you, enjoy it, move on. Stuff happens.
don

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Don,

Thanks for your reply and insight. You’re so very right about the perspective to take. And yes, I don’t like being lied to. A man/business is only as good as their word and I along with others found out about this salesman/business moral compass. Hope your health improves and you make your goals. You definitely have a great attitude about life. When you’re looking down the tunnel of life and the light seems to be getting bigger, you’re absolutely correct about not getting to riled up. Cars are a great hobby and I’ve met some great people like here on 348-409.com. Thanks too for everyone’s opinions on this thread. That’s what I wanted. The interior is back together and ready to be used (next spring) and to show “good will” - when asked about my interior, will give this company all the free advertising I can.

Fuzz

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Being a mechanic, I inspect everything.
Guess an upholster would inspect before installation. :dunno2
I sew and install about 50 upholstery projects a year as a side gig to pay for my motoring habits. I have been doing it for about 24 years now and reject 10-15 seat covers a year because they are wrong, bad, junk. Your installer is your best line of defense against this. You wouldn't have a clue what to look for and only a trained professional should see it before it becomes an issue. I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus but keep in mind that it could have looked fine from above but a quick inspection of the actual stitches underneath (by the installer) would have let everyone know before they were installed.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Keep in mind those covers are made in China. But notice on the picture of the seam coming undone. NOTICE which side is coming on done. The material is a grade 1 or less. Grade three is what your snow mobile and outdoor equipment will have on it. I try and stick to a grade 2 so that I don't have to worry about materials coming undone. That red vinyl is so cheap its not a surprise it tore the stitches through. A higher grade material would have made the black cloth material come undone first but in this case it was paper thin red vinyl that couldn't hold up.