CARSINC POOR WORKMANSHIP

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Keep in mind those covers are made in China. But notice on the picture of the seam coming undone. NOTICE which side is coming on done. The material is a grade 1 or less. Grade three is what your snow mobile and outdoor equipment will have on it. I try and stick to a grade 2 so that I don't have to worry about materials coming undone. That red vinyl is so cheap its not a surprise it tore the stitches through. A higher grade material would have made the black cloth material come undone first but in this case it was paper thin red vinyl that couldn't hold up.

Now you have me worried about how the covers will hold up. I was assured by their salesman that they only use the highest quality materials. But, he also told me they would pay shipping both ways and we know how that went. I guess a business can set the standards it wants. Too bad I think they’re so low.

Fuzz

greatchevy

Cars Inc Seat covers are not made in China they are made in there warehouse in Rochester Hills Michigan. The Vinyl in the pictures is made by Hartz same company and quality they have been making for Gm when these cars were new.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
greatchevy, good to finally hear from you. Nice commercial. How’s work going? Just remember, don’t believe everything they tell you. Have a great day and life.

Fuzz

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Just a couple other thoughts to keep in mind since you were asking for different perspectives:

When you supply someone with a part--be it interior, a starter, carb , etc most will tell you that they will not honor warranty or guarantee on the parts that you are supplying them, for example in your case he would not warranty the stitching coming apart but if the hog rings used to attach the cover to the frame failed he would warranty THOSE and the labor to correct them. Generally speaking the industry norm is roughly a 20-25% markup on parts. Part of that markup goes to cover the costs of any "warranty" type issues. When I was getting a top replaced on my convertible I went to several shops to get estimates and they were all over the board. Some guys would not install any top they did not supply partially for that exact reason and partially because he had HIS vendor of choice that he had a relationship with and the product was good quality as well as fit properly. As I shopped around it became apparent that certain brands were such crap that not one of the shops would touch their product. My point is that since you supplied your installer with the product and he realized ZERO profit on the parts markup it is unfair to him to have to foot the bill since there was no issue with his installation. Had he supplied the cover and assuming he used them regularly the issue would have probably been quashed and written off as "Goodwill" A lot of guys will only give you a "tail light" warranty when they install something that they did not supply.

I feel for your situation it sucks. My convertible is a 66 Chevelle and it has Aztec Bronze interior. I bought my kit from Original Parts Group and the covers in ther kits were made by Distincive Industries. In less then 6 months the color turned from Aztec Bronze to a Cranberry color. I only drove the car 300 miles during that time span. It sits in a fully enclosed garage with a car cover on it when not being driven. It was out less then 10 times before the color fade. Like you they wanted me to remove the covers and send them in before they would stand behind them. I KNEW they would not pay for any labor so I was pretty much stuck. I installed them myself the back seat back and bottom was a breeze the buckets NOT SO MUCH I spent easily 4 hours on each back and bottom. But the quotes I was getting were from $1800-$2400 Just to install them. Trust me when I was done I know EXACTLY why they charge so much. But long story short sonce they would not give me any assurance that they would replace them and ZERO assurance that it would not happen again I just decided to live with it. The whole kit was junk the carpet had wierd yellow discoloration almost as if bleach was spilled on it but yellow. The mylar strips fell off both rear quarter panel trims-they replaced those one time free of charge. but the new ones fell apart in a short time too. Next time it will be legendary.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Just a couple other thoughts to keep in mind since you were asking for different perspectives:

When you supply someone with a part--be it interior, a starter, carb , etc most will tell you that they will not honor warranty or guarantee on the parts that you are supplying them, for example in your case he would not warranty the stitching coming apart but if the hog rings used to attach the cover to the frame failed he would warranty THOSE and the labor to correct them. Generally speaking the industry norm is roughly a 20-25% markup on parts. Part of that markup goes to cover the costs of any "warranty" type issues. When I was getting a top replaced on my convertible I went to several shops to get estimates and they were all over the board. Some guys would not install any top they did not supply partially for that exact reason and partially because he had HIS vendor of choice that he had a relationship with and the product was good quality as well as fit properly. As I shopped around it became apparent that certain brands were such crap that not one of the shops would touch their product. My point is that since you supplied your installer with the product and he realized ZERO profit on the parts markup it is unfair to him to have to foot the bill since there was no issue with his installation. Had he supplied the cover and assuming he used them regularly the issue would have probably been quashed and written off as "Goodwill" A lot of guys will only give you a "tail light" warranty when they install something that they did not supply.

I feel for your situation it sucks. My convertible is a 66 Chevelle and it has Aztec Bronze interior. I bought my kit from Original Parts Group and the covers in ther kits were made by Distincive Industries. In less then 6 months the color turned from Aztec Bronze to a Cranberry color. I only drove the car 300 miles during that time span. It sits in a fully enclosed garage with a car cover on it when not being driven. It was out less then 10 times before the color fade. Like you they wanted me to remove the covers and send them in before they would stand behind them. I KNEW they would not pay for any labor so I was pretty much stuck. I installed them myself the back seat back and bottom was a breeze the buckets NOT SO MUCH I spent easily 4 hours on each back and bottom. But the quotes I was getting were from $1800-$2400 Just to install them. Trust me when I was done I know EXACTLY why they charge so much. But long story short sonce they would not give me any assurance that they would replace them and ZERO assurance that it would not happen again I just decided to live with it. The whole kit was junk the carpet had wierd yellow discoloration almost as if bleach was spilled on it but yellow. The mylar strips fell off both rear quarter panel trims-they replaced those one time free of charge. but the new ones fell apart in a short time too. Next time it will be legendary.

Thanks for your reply. Took some time to write.

My complaint wasn’t with my interior installer. He treated me right. My problem was with Carsinc. To their credit they did replace their poor quality/work. I felt they should pay for my upholstery installer to do the work again. They would not. So be it. Didn’t feel I should pay to redo their shoddy seat cover by paying for installation twice. I did not like it, but can/will live with it. When you build a car, you pay for your “education”. What I REALLY have a problem with this company doing is lying. Their salesman agreed to pay shipping both ways for the seat cover. Told me over the phone. No mistake about it. I emailed him some questions about fixing seat cover and also said in email, they would cover shipping both ways as per phone conversation. He answered questions, and didn’t say anything about not reimbursing shipping. After seat cover was fixed, I sent three emails asking for reimbursement. No replies. Called salesman and he said that the “company” has done enough for me and they would not reimburse my shipping. Asked him 3 more times about our agreement and if his word meant anything. Never got a straight answer. The last time I asked about his “word”, he answered, “have a good day and life” and hung up on me. It’s all done and life will go on. Don’t like it, but If Carsinc needs to not follow through on their promises - they also have to answer to a higher power. Thanks again for taking time to write your response. Sorry to hear about your interior problems. Definitely not what you paid for and expected. I feel for you.

Fuzz

Junky

Well Known Member
When I had a defective seat cover from Ciadella, they didn't cover the cost of shipping the defective covers back to them, nor did they reimburse me for the cost of installation or removal of their defective seat covers, nor did they reimburse me for what I paid for the defective seat covers. The only thing that I did get back, was the money that my credit card company credited back to me for what I had paid Ciadella, and that took 90 days. I can only assume that they charged that back amount against their credit card account.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Junky and fuzz,,,,, have you looked to see what the warranty policy is as far as time period and workmanship . One of the first things I ordered for my 63 was seat covers and door panels . I had those installed right away by my upholstery guy with no issues noticed by him or me.Those seats and panels headliner and carpet were stored in my basement for about 4 to 5 years till car was ready for them . I think I ordered them from late great I could look it up in my note book ,so what ever there supplier is that's what I got. Luckily I had no issues with them.

Junky

Well Known Member
It appears that all the warranty does is to get the item fixed, but you have to pay to ship it back, and the install, removal, and reinstall is all on your dime. Life it too short to bitch about a $30 return cost, or at least it is for me. The first seat cover that I got from Cars, Inc., had a defect, and it was caught before it was installed, and it was returned on their dime. They also sent me the replacement at their expense. When this thread started, I took a closer look at my seat cover, only to notice a small flaw. They said to send it back, and they will repair it. I am just not certain if I want to go to that expense again to remove the seat cover, send it to them, and then have to pay to have it installed again. The Ciadella seat cover cost me about $450 (my guess, because there was a single figure for the complete job) to have it installed, then removed, and the replacement cover installed that I bought from Cars. I am going to the upholstery shop in the morning with the car for an adjustment on the headliner, and I will discuss it with them at that time. I have not had any problem with the way that I was treated by Cars, Inc., and I accept that they are human, and can make a mistake.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Junky,

You’re right. Any company can make a mistake in making their product. But, a company should not tell you what they will do and then not follow through - especially when knowing they are doing it. That’s being dishonest.
Good luck tomorrow.

Fuzz

MAGA