Chevy what? 69 GMC 348 SHOP TRUCK BUILD

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Still needs .003 finish hoaning too. Jeff has my 63 409 truck block. Std bore.. here's a 65 passenger std bore block. Needs stitch lock repair, is an easy fix... James was using it to check his roller lifter oil ban placement. Sadness showed its ugliness....:(:pout20211002_114739.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I think I know the original car that block was in. Didn't click until I noticed the casting date. Could a "J 13 60" casting be original to a 1961 Chevy?

I recall the guy who sold me that block built another 348 block with triple twos for his 1961 Belair two door post car and that sleeve is why he ditched the block (I mean passed it along to me a few years back). Tooth and Jeff are doing a bang up job on this one, fun to watch!

Cheers! TomK

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think I know the original car that block was in. Didn't click until I noticed the casting date. Could a "J 13 60" casting be original to a 1961 Chevy?

I recall the guy who sold me that block built another 348 block with triple twos for his 1961 Belair two door post car and that sleeve is why he ditched the block (I mean passed it along to me a few years back). Tooth and Jeff are doing a bang up job on this one, fun to watch!

Cheers! TomK
And yes on engine for a 61 model.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was telling Jeff, Oct 13 of 60 would be a 61 build and probably had 3 duces on it...lol do all 348 blocks have a single or double notch? I know all 409 passenger car blocks don't have any notches.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's what I understood, Tom k. Has a double notcher on a stand. I personally hadn't seen a 348 with no notches. Well by the numbers Looks like its compression is at 11.1-1 and will need a little off the piston to get 10.0-1 for 91 octane fuel NO ethanol...quench is good after decking the block. I'm pretty sure all the notches has to do with bore size compression and valve clearance...:good

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The reason that you've never seen a 348 block with no notches is because there is no such animal. The 348 car blocks had one,the 348 truck from the 58-61 models had two.The 62-66 348 [962 and 655 blocks] had one just like the earlier car blocks.A double notch block will lower the c.r. by just about 1 1/2 full points from what you would achieve using the same piston .If you want to lower your "wind",mill the "slope" of the piston,not the top since anything off the top will increase the quench distance.

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Got the passenger side door covered with surface primer and all new regulator gaskets and hardware, now I need to do the driver side, The passenger side door was the worst rust area on the whole truck the rest of it’s pretty solid I also have a right front fender. Sure is a good running little 350 but the 409 machine work is almost done. Waiting for early Christmas for Santa to show up with the parts to finish the 409 :D My block was manufactured TODAY in 1960 crazy, older than me 3yeras one and a half months

09671F44-8791-4374-BD91-BBC9D1EEDFA8.jpeg09E44076-4D43-4A7E-8912-797176660441.jpegE5338297-ADBA-4F20-8B6F-B9F59CC69DCC.jpeg860506DA-8CCD-4721-8C56-01FA348B4EB5.jpeg1243BE28-4A1A-45AB-B319-F1C8A097C141.jpeg

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Got the passenger side door covered with surface primer and all new regulator gaskets and hardware, now I need to do the driver side, The passenger side door was the worst rust area on the whole truck the rest of it’s pretty solid I also have a right front fender. Sure is a good running little 350 but the 409 machine work is almost done. Waiting for early Christmas for Santa to show up with the parts to finish the 409 :D My block was manufactured TODAY in 1960 crazy, older than me 3yeras one and a half months

View attachment 99618View attachment 99619View attachment 99620View attachment 99621View attachment 99622
Hopefully those parts aren't sitting in a container on a ship waiting to be offloaded in LA, if so they might be a late Christmas present.:bang

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:yup Thanks but it’s a team effort, Jeff is the man, I just put the ideas in his head of what I want to do. He owns the tools, I have acquired the ideas from this forum and many good people here. I’m not the one who deserves the credit. I appreciate your interest though. I’m going to build a stroker motor for my 63 Belair race car next. I have BIG plans for that build. I however will personally be doing body and chassis upgrades…:brow:D I do assemble and build the motor with proper clearances tolerances and parts…thanks Jeff for watching my back:good

Last edited:

James jones

Well Known Member
Hey tooth I’m still impressed with everybody on these projects! My only claim to fame is that I drove these cars when they fairly new. Like my 63 ss was 8 years old had 42000 miles on it. Same with the rest I owned. I did a lot of maintenance work on them. There were a lot of independent shops around so if I needed repair work , I always had a friend in one. These cars were my daily transportation plus my love of street racing. You guys finding car bodies in junkyards is completely foreign to me. I haven’t driven a 409 powered car since 1980. But it’s a different world today. I would give anything if I had the skills you guys have. We’ll take care tooth. James jones