Choices for alternator mounting with headers

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What are you guys doing to mount your alternators with headers on 409 engines. Doesn't seem to be many options out there and I don't care for a hot rod style bracket. I suppose I could get one fabricated to work.

Lets see what you guys have! Photos would be great :clap

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I made my own. Similar to the one listed above, but more original looking. I am going to paint it black on my 60, like the rest of the mounting brackets and pulleys. ( styled it after a cast Cadillac A/C mount I have laying around)

I plan on having it copied and cast in aluminum for my other motor. I need to hold onto it until after fire up. Vintage gasser style, rough sand cast. Casting is done by the local mennonite foundry, so it's a little rough, but cheap. Just like vintage parts. Completely mounts on front of head. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jason..........most headers have an extension welded to the driver's side that lets you use all the original brackets. Shouldn't be a problem.:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
hmm interesting Phil. Not sure I noticed in the photos of the Jardine headers I have seen if they have an extension for an alternator mounting. Will have to check that out when they arrive...which Jerod called me last night and told me they are done :clap:deal

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The Doug's Tri Y headers have a mounting point welded to the flange that will accept the alternator mount. I have arranged to take my Jardine headers to the fab shop. They will take the measurements from the Dougs headers and make the same mounting point on the Jardine Tri Ys.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So Ray just answered my question then. The Jardines will not have a spot to mount the alternator bracket. I will have to have some work done to them once I get them in the car I think. I don't have another set of 409 headers to compare to so I will probably end up having to improvise something to make it work. Ouch, more $$$$$

1960impala283

Well Known Member
picture of bracket. One 3/8 plate cut out on a band saw, a little 1/4 flat bar for a web, and a 3/8 bar for the front brace. Looks terrible right now, but after prep and paint it should look better. Alternator needs a clean up as well. Cost $0, = more money for other parts.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 182
  • alternator.jpg
    alternator.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 152

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
picture of bracket. One 3/8 plate cut out on a band saw, a little 1/4 flat bar for a web, and a 3/8 bar for the front brace. Looks terrible right now, but after prep and paint it should look better. Alternator needs a clean up as well. Cost $0, = more money for other parts.

Jason, Mine looks like 1960impalas but, I found a alt bracket at the wrecking yard. I bought two for 3.00 each and the cut one long and one short and tiged back together. The bracket is cast steel so it weld good and looks factory. You could also just add a piece of flat bar to do the same thing.

Attachments

• Alternator Bracket 1.jpg
    Alternator Bracket 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Alternator Bracket 2.jpg
    Alternator Bracket 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Alternator Bracket Belt.jpg
    Alternator Bracket Belt.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Alternator Bracket Modified & Mounted.jpg
    Alternator Bracket Modified & Mounted.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Top Alternator Bracket 1.jpg
    Top Alternator Bracket 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 119

daveydeuce

Supporting Member 1
Bolt on eng lifter

Tripower, Where did you find the tri power bolt on eng lift? :scratch Did you fab it yourself? :cheers Looks good. Dave :D :coffee:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
bracket

Tripowers bracket is 69-72 pickup truck or corvette sbc only. Same as I used. I cut the front bolt hole off and just pinned the front to the head so it wouldn't rotate when tightened. Pretty close fit on the belt to the power steering pump axle, but it works.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Same problem here.

Does anyone have a shot with Jardine headers? I bought the typical alt bracket setup from show cars, but the bottom needs to sit on something or I could weld a small 2x4 plate to the top of the headers then the bracket to it.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21776

attachment.php

409SWAP used a 63 stock mount from Show Cars. I think it was this one.

3039.jpg

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I modified a Taiwan BBC bracket which worked perfectly and was easy to find and cheap, no welding required.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Don,

Thanks for the post. The bracket you posted is the one from showcars I have but nothing to bolt it too. :dunno I have the front bolted to the top block hole, but it doesnt line up with the exhaust bolts. Thats the wonder issue. Is it best to drill a new hole to get it to line up with the header bolt (didnt look to see it it lines up) or weld a small 1x2 flat stock plate to the headers and then rest the bracket on there? The issue with welding the bracket to the flat stock is you will permanently have the bracket as part of the header package, and that may not look right :roll

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21776

attachment.php

409SWAP used a 63 stock mount from Show Cars. I think it was this one.

3039.jpg

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That is the bracket that will line up with and bolt to the Dougs Tri Y headers. Dougs Tri Ys have a flat stock bracket welded to the header flange.