Choices for alternator mounting with headers

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have that bracket on my 340HP 63 409, the hole lined up with the stock manifold bolt. It is an original bracket as near as I can tell, maybe the reproductions are made wrong or the headers interfere?

I'd drill the hole in the right place.

Don

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Still no pic, but I chopped off the piece that goes to the exhaust bolt and redrilled the plate to use one hole and fit the 583 bolt holes. Cheap and (I hope) effective. Then I glass-beaded the Taiwan chrome for a satin look.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
so you end up with two mounting holes that are used to secure the bracket to the front of the head? I think this would work just fine as long as the cheap Taiwan bracket itself doesn't implode :roll

Thanks for the heads up on this! I think I am going to get one to try it. I'd probably media blast it also and paint it black :clap

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Finally got pic of Taiwan bracket I modified...hope this helps.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 265

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like it uses the two outer bolt holes in the front of the driver's side cylinder head. No mounting point on the exhaust port/header bolt :? This should work perfectly. I would be curious to know if you could mount the upper bracket on the left most bolt hole on the head...using all three bolt holes then to mount the alternator instead of using the water pump bolt like shown in the photo :? :dunno

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You are right, the piece that went to the BBC exhaust manifold is long gone. Two grade 8 bolts hold the bracket to the head. The upper bracket probably could have gone elsewhere, but it probably would have required a long(er) bolt and/or a spacer to line up with the alternator. BTW, the upper bracket is from Petepedlar and has since been powdercoated. This seemed to me to be the simplest arrangement.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave....can you post a picture of the Stahl headers you have. I'm sure it has the tab on the LH flange to mount a stock alternator bracket. I know the Doug Thorley headers we used to sell had the bracket. Bolt up the headers and attach the alternator or generator brackets.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I ordered one of the Taiwan brackets that Boxerdog posted and will modify mine the same. With my motor mocked up on the stand, I should be able to come up with a solution to mount the alternator. I will media blast my bracket as well and paint it most likely

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got the Taiwan bracket last night and am in the process of modifying it for use on the 409. Cut the tab off, re-drilled the hole to line up with the front of the cylinder head and lopped the bottom of the bracket off. Will radius the bottom portion on the bench grinder tonight, media blast it and paint it. A quick mock-up with an old alternator shows good belt alignment also :clap

I need to get some hardware to really test it out but I think it should work great. I am using a top alternator bracket for a small block that Ross got for me from a salvage yard that seems to work good with the bends in it mounted to the third hole in the head but which places the slotted portion of the bracket on the front of the alternator...really close to the blades/pulley. This set up will work fine. I might want to try a cheap Mr. Gasket chinese top bracket to try mounting that to the water pump bolt to see if that might work even better. We'll see

I'll post photos also when mine is done and installed but this does seem to be a decent option for mounting an alternator on the 409 when using headers :deal

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The Stahl fenderwell headers I used on my '57 small block drag motor had a tab on the left header to mount an alternator. This was 36 years ago.

:crazy:cheers