Colbert Z-11 News

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I did not realize you did not have matching motor in the 63 z11 the first time you restored it. Do you know what that motor was in???

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks everyone. Great history unfolding. I discovered a 320 casting date head and an 8 casting date. Possible for production but not plausible. So, I called Dave Colbert. He said, oh, yeh, forgot to tell you when Jan-Cen began blueprinting the engine they discovered a cracked head. Dave had to call his dealer to tell Chevy to get him one. The Jan 8, 1963 casting is what they shipped.

Also discovered there were 2 shim head gaskets on each side! That was crazy. I know the 62 409/409’s were assembled with 2 head gaskets to lower the compression because they were afraid of kids like us:crazy

Maybe whoever had the engine remembers this and added them, a mystery.

The engine does have the Eonic cam as I have shared, and 7 of the 8 pistons look great.
Considering going back together all original as Dennis Jackson has so many NOS parts, rocker arms, balls, nuts, cam bearings, rod and mains if they turn out std, same with rings, etc.
Lots of work still to be done before I get to that point, but it looks entirely possible we could build a Z-11 with NOS Chevy parts.

That would be cool, a numbers matching engine with NOS parts!

More later!!

1704124304258.jpeg

1704124081856.jpeg

1704124014701.jpeg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It’s great to have friends at the head of the
Z-11 supply chain :brow:brow:brow:brow
I'm just happy we still live in a time where we can get some of the knowledge first hand on these cars. The supply of knowledge on these old girls is so helpful in decoding their history. Finding a head with a different casting code seems strange until we are able to get some first hand insight that a cracked head was found so a new head was installed. That is priceless information. I'd be more upset if the heads were matching on the engine now that I know that part. Super cool information Pat.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I'm just happy we still live in a time where we can get some of the knowledge first hand on these cars. The supply of knowledge on these old girls is so helpful in decoding their history. Finding a head with a different casting code seems strange until we are able to get some first hand insight that a cracked head was found so a new head was installed. That is priceless information. I'd be more upset if the heads were matching on the engine now that I know that part. Super cool information Pat.
Thank you. I do remember back in the “dark ages” (1984) when Frank Sanders called me looking for his car. He had heard I had some of his parts. It was a time when you kept copious notes with names, phone numbers, info, etc.
Today it’s so much easier to share info, that’s what I think is so great, share the info, if you know the facts, share them.

409Kid

Well Known Member
You’ve got to also remember that these engines started out at 13.5:1 compression ratios that were at the limits of available pump fuels of the era. They didn’t have the race specific fuels available as we do today without some custom mixing of compounds as tolulene or other hexanes to boost octane levels. Not that it wasn’t done. Likely it was. I don’t know if the SS/ and FX classes underwent fuel checks back then. I was barely out of diapers when these beasts were competitive. Just my 2¢ worth of ignorance