COLD!

bobs409

Administrator
When my last garage was built I put the tubing in the concrete floor but after hearing all the problems and complaints of cost by some, I didn't go any further. It seems there is so much uncertainty of the heating system. You hear all different stories. Well, I have $400 dollars worth of tubing in my floor anyway... :furious

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
come on guys, most of us have seen this before. i believe the late seventies or early eighties. my late sister and i were going to buy a
place in s carolina, but too lazy to go thru with it. what a mistake. jim

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
"Tom is your shop walls/ceilings insulated ?"

Yep. 5/8s sheetrock hiding six inches of sprayed insulation on the ceiling, sound channeling as well. Much of the lower section is six inch concrete walls and I put 2" of 4' by 8' insulated sheeting under the floors below the pex tubing. Batted insulation in the walls where I framed with wood. I do have a rather large ceiling in one section, probably 20 feet or so, that is not insulated (yet). Ten foot ceilings in the main portion.

It's just real cold out!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WTF is going on lately? :shudder High today of 13F in PA!!! Single digits over night. No end in sight either after about a week of this already... I don't remember having such a long cold snap before. Guess that whole global warming thing didn't pan out. :D

Just ranting because I'm BORED! :impatient

Happy New Year! Next year will be the same and so on and so forth.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bat insulation in the walls, 36” blown cellulose in the ceiling, insulated garage doors and a Modine Hot Dawg ceiling-hung natural gas furnace. Works awesome. I keep the internal garage temp at 50 and can raise it to 60-62 in about 10 min. Works great!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We've been about 9F since Christmas Day. Went sailing Christmas eve, it was about 50F. Thursday its going to almost 40F with about 1 inch of rain, then back to the deep freeze at 9F again. Still no snow here but really fu**ing cold.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tom, what about a wall hung, on demand water heater. no storage tank, all SS, high efficiency, 90% +, plastic flue. I think your electric water heater is to small and just too slow too heat. what is your heat loss figured at? Something sure isn't adding up.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm jealous Russ! I just got my first utility bill for the radiant heat setup and was quite disappointed in the "cost per day". Pretty sure I am going to have to reconsider the heating source, which for now has been a 50 gallon electric water heater, similar to what one would use in your house. Paul had a good suggestion for replacement, but that's not in the budget right now (what is?) ...

Woke up Saturday morning to a freezing cold house (54 degrees) as the heating unit crapped out overnight. Took me most of Saturday to figure it out. Then it took another 12 hours of operation to get into the low 60s :(.

Yeppers, it's cold outside!

Happy Holidays!
Might have to bite the bullet Tom and go with Paul's suggestion to make it work!!!!!:bow

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yeah, I will need to address the heating issue in the lower section. I'm sure it's the choice of the standard electric water heater. I did install an oversized FANG system in the upper living space, but didn't not extend that gas line to the lower section. I have a large "salamander" that burns diesel as an auxiliary source of heat.

I am using one of those "tankless" on demand hot water heaters for the lower level, but that's in the bathroom only.

Live and learn!

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey here south of St. Louis !!!
Gonna be a negative -6 tonight ! It's been about 11 degrees all day !! SUCKS................ :bonk

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Low temps here all week -16 to -35 with the windchill's .......I believe the highs going to be 6°