Color sanding & buffing black paint

bobs409

Administrator
I should mention, this paint job of mine will be a budget job, sprayed in the yard by yours truely. :D This will probably be job #18 or so for me so I'm getting better on the experience level. With the color sand/buffing plan in effect, a few bugs are no longer a problem. :p You just have to watch out for a stray shower or those pesky bird droppings!!! :roll

I've never used a clear coat (yet) so I will be just using straight black. Nothing fancy either, plain old off the shelf, pure black Acrylic enamel. This car will live outside and be driven 1-2 times per week. (on nice days)

This car was originally Danube blue which is very dark blue but I've never been a big fan of dark blue so I opted for black. Will go nice with the light blue interior. (plus I've never had a black car or a blue interior before so it will be something new)

Thanks for all the great tips! Still confused about all the buffing pads but will look into them further.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The old lacquer was shinny and deep looking, the new clear coats just look glossy
:clap

Tommy, I do know exactly what you mean !!! So no need to keep hashing it over.

Threeimps, I still disagree ,it doesn`t matter whether it is factory or a top end custom paint job,,, IMO,,,,black with a clear coat still looks "hazed".

I know several "top end" painters and all the black jobs w/clear come out this way. It is the CLEAR coat that is the culprit not the painter, Again ,,, JMOO
I do like the idea of mixing in the color into the clear idea though,,,

Solid one step paint is my prefered choice,,,,

Bob, I have a friend that paints in a regular garage and sometimes out side and his paint work is awesome!
If you take your time your paint job will turn out great !
One advantage to the clear coat and the new paints is you can cut and buff out all the mistakes and polish it to a great shine and have a nice looking car !!,,dq