Compression test

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine just rap it in third gear to higjer rpm you don't have to drive 100 mph ,hate to see you get a speeding ticket that way you can get the rpm and not speed .actually the lower gear would be better for it so it puts more of a load on it on deceleration .

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just came from the garage. The engine sat all night and I checked the oil. It was down about 1/16" on the stick, maybe a tad more, before my ride yesterday. No surprise there.
I randomly checked the spark plugs in cylinders #2, #6, #3 and #5. They were the easiest one's to get to. Number 2, 6 and 5 all showed the same type of burn. A deep tan. No signs of fouling or oil. All dry. Number 3 was a little different. No signs of fouling and the color was close to the others, except this one showed a sheen, a slight shine to it, where the others were bone dry. It appeared to be almost a little damp but I'm not sure it was. Now I wish I had rubbed it on a white paper towel.
Going out for another ride this afternoon and going to do some breakin procedures. After today, I'm not going to get back out there for several days. I'm going in the hospital tomorrow for 3-4 days. I have a medical issue that needs some attention. Taking my computer with me. I do enjoy reading what you fine people write, so keep all the threads coming in, in all the categories. Thank you, Carmine.

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I could be wrong about this but going back to class room basics. Ring sealing or break in is usually associated with the upper two rings which are used for compression purposes not oil control. Of course the oil ring will also have some break in but they are so thin compared to the other two I would suspect a very fast break in period for them, maybe a hour run time at most. So doing the compression test you get a reading with a dry cylinder then squirt some oil in the cylinder and do the test again if there is a large jump in readings say 20 psi or more then you have ring issues, but only the compression rings are being checked not the oil rings. Oil rings do not effect the pumping readings if you use text book teachings.
Problems with oil rings could be in-correct installation, end gaps not positioned properly? Expansion ring not installed correctly? I doubt running the engine longer and harder will correct either of these. I for one would suspect other areas for oil usage, valve seals, intake leak, ect. Due to the fact the problem seems to be getting better. Also with oil control ring problems you should see plug fouling fairly easy and often.
What type of valve stem seals do you have? Were the guides replaced? Are the guide to valve stem clearances correct?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sorry hearing about your medical issue ,but that by far is more important than a car using a little oil. Hope you have a good recovery and get well soon!!!!!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The second ring is a very important part of oil control. In fact, it's the rings main job. The way it's gotten better, I suspect a ring or hone issue. Even a proper cylinder finish but with a shallow angle can pump oil past the rings. I would say the choices are keep driving it or take it apart. I would keep driving it. In 84, my dad bought a new f350. It burned a quart every 500 miles when it was new and when he sold it with over 100,000 miles. Never got better or worse.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you very much everyone for your very kind words. I appreciate it and it's very comforting. I'm optimistic everything will go well. Besides, I have to fix this oil usage problem LOL. Everyone have a good week. Sincerely, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Carmine:

Enjoy your "down time" and get caught up on your communications, etc.

Good luck with the procedure and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cheers!

TomK