Cross Ram hood clearence

62OLDRELIABLE

Supporting Member 2
Hi guys I have run into a big problem.We got the hood on my 62 belair But the M/T cross ram with Holley's will not clear the hood even with out the air cleaners off.I am at a lose as to what to do.It is a stock hood.I am sure someone has crossed this bridge before.If I cannot figure something out Ill probably buy the new edellbrock intake and sell this setup.

Thanks ,Kevin

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your obviouslly not stock so why not go with a real slick hood that will fit over your set up :brow. Ken

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Kevin,I believe the Holley carbs are to tall and you will need Carter AFB'S,or go with a fiberglass hood with a scope :dunno

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Kevin, Carter AFB or Eddy carbs will fit under the hood, but then they leave very little room for any decent air filter and air flow to the carbs without choking her up big time. I looked at maybe making up some sort of plenem, but then I decided to use an old beet up hood that we straitened out and fitted a cowl induction set up, works great and alows here to breeeeeeaaaath. Nothing quite has the visual impact of an M/T cross ram sitting on top of an old 09. :D
Maybe look at some of the glass hoods available?
Carl.

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Hmm, maybe similar to the old Dodge?

Hmm, maybe similar to the old Dodge?

Friend of mine had a Dodge with l-o-n-g cross-rams that basically put the carbs nearly into the fenders.
Ran great, but was hard to start on cold days.

As I recall he put some hats on them and ran his air intake to behind the grill for colder intake air.

I would think you could do something similar, duct cold air to a remote filter for each carb?

In fact, my '78 El Camino has a slim plastic cold air intake scoop that fits just under the hood but above the grill.
Maybe you could incorporate a pair of them? :dunno

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Kevin, Carter AFB or Eddy carbs will fit under the hood, but then they leave very little room for any decent air filter and air flow to the carbs without choking her up big time. I looked at maybe making up some sort of plenem, but then I decided to use an old beet up hood that we straitened out and fitted a cowl induction set up, works great and alows here to breeeeeeaaaath. Nothing quite has the visual impact of an M/T cross ram sitting on top of an old 09. :D
Maybe look at some of the glass hoods available?
Carl.

Carl,could you post some photos of your 62's hood setup for Kevin:dunno

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No prob Jim. The glass scoop is off an Australian GM A9X Holden Torana. At first I ran a tray under the air cleaners to take full advantage of the cowl induction effect. It worked great but blocked out the eye candy underneath. After removing the tray, two polished marine scoops were installed externally above the air cleaners. Hope I have been some help Kevin :)

Attachments

• DSC02750 forum.jpg
    DSC02750 forum.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02748 forum.jpg
    DSC02748 forum.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC02743 forum.jpg
    DSC02743 forum.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC03213 forum.jpg
    DSC03213 forum.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 175
  • cross ram 4 forum 2.jpg
    cross ram 4 forum 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 164

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chevytaylor

WOW beautiful 62 bubbletop:clap. I've got too say it's the first Righthand Drive Chevy I've every seen:cheers

For the gentlemen looking for hood clearance, I was looking to buy another 62 a few years ago on ebay. It had the crossram and a stock intake too include two hoods for each confirguration.

I would either buy a fiberglass hood already with cowl induction or scoop or a second 62 hood and alter too your design and perfection.

Happy Motoring:)

Ted

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can't believe I am the first one to offer to solve your problem by taking the cross-ram off of your hands!!??

Beautiful car and workmanship!

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Goodmark still sells a metal cowl that can be welded on, if your not into plastics. I'm happy with mine, and will give you plenty of clearance. i think they are available in 2" and 5".
Tim

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice setup Carl :beerbang. Kevin if you are concidering a new hood and want to keep that 60s feel I'd go with the old teardrop. Just a suggestion:dunno let us know what you decid on.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Carl: Nice work but I have another question..............A9X Holden Torana?:dunno:dunno
robert

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
kevin, have a Glasstech cowl hood that will work. Slight damage, easily repairable. Live in NC. Will take $175.00. Jeff

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I always thought a scoop like the Mopar 6 Pack Super Bees would look OK too, and be wide enough.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice setup Carl :beerbang. Kevin if you are concidering a new hood and want to keep that 60s feel I'd go with the old teardrop. Just a suggestion:dunno let us know what you decid on.

:eek: FO*D SCOOP !!:takethat

I always thought a scoop like the Mopar 6 Pack Super Bees would look OK too, and be wide enough.

:eek::eek: NO MOPO SCOOPS !!!:stooges

Maybe two mail boxes ???:D

62OLDRELIABLE

Supporting Member 2
cross ram , thanks

Hi guys Thanks for all the idea's .I like the idea of two hoods.The car is in paint so Ill get another hood probably a glass hood. Tamarz has a good looking one that has under ribs and bolts on to hinges.Does any one know some think about them .What do you'll think about two holes for the air cleaners with out a scoop maybe velocity stacks kind of old school .I haven't had the engine running yet so I would like to try it before i would think of taking it off.So Ill probably go with out the hood for awhile to see what it does.as soon as I figure out how, I will put up some pics .

Thanks ,Kevin

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:eek: FO*D SCOOP !!:takethat

:eek::eek: NO MOPO SCOOPS !!!:stooges

Maybe two mail boxes ???:D

:rolleyes:Now you know you have seen the tear drop on cars other than F:mad:rds I had a full tilt fiberglass nose on my 55 Nomad with a teardrop on it in 72 that came that way from the maker. Kevin sounds like your on your way with some ideas. Iv'e seen Guys cut out some designs in their hoods to go around the intake setups and then put a bead around the design to give it a finished look. Or you could take an idea from the Pontiac Shaker hood. what ever you come up with you may want to get another hood to experiment with and keep you original hood in case to change your mind. Ken

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Harwood Scoop

I use a Harwood Scoop for my Cross Ram,I get lots of cool air.Here's some photos.

Picture054.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture056.jpg

62OLDRELIABLE

Supporting Member 2
57 chevy cross ram

Man I thought that a 57 hood would clear the cross ram.When I bought the 61 impala that had this motor in it .It had a stock hood on it .Its been so long ago I can't remember how it cleared .Seems he had the back of the hood raised up maybe.

Kevin