Dan Gurney Road racing 409 in the UK

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Not that I’m aware of.

Having learned “never to say never”, the 1961 409 cars I know about are only word of mouth.

As we understand there may be paperwork showing a given car had a 409, but to my knowledge there are no identifying marks tying a particular engine to a specific car.

I don’t doubt there are a couple, but I too would like to know more if anyone has any info.

RPOLS3

Well Known Member
Here is an interesting article referenced in the yenko site link;

...and an additional one about the Dale Arsmtrong car (supposedly the only other 1961 409 with its born with engine)

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

...and an additional one about the Dale Arsmtrong car (supposedly the only other 1961 409 with its born with engine)

Yep, lots of articles written over the years. Never doubting the content.
Those are validated cars that were ordered as 409’s.
The Gurney car does not have its original engine today. Verne Franz asked to buy my 61-409 engine for the restoration.
I personally discussed this car with Dan Gurney years ago. Great driver.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

What is the documentation for the Armstrong car? Factory air wasn't avaiable with the 409.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Cecil, the Armstrong car was supposedly a mule car that was used to test the new 409 engine. Story goes that the car had A/C to test the cooling ability of the new motor. The car also had an additional cowl tag that no one has ever decoded. I saw the car at auction a few years ago in Hershey, Robert Street and I attended the auction and I bid on the car, I had no intention of buying the car unless there was no one else present that knew what the car was. The car was not advertised as being anything other than a 61 409. Verne was still living then and I called him and verified the vin. Someone did get a steal, the car sold for 105k, I bid it to a 100k , there was one other person at the auction that apparently knew what the car was because everyone but he and I dropped out at about 70k, each time I would bid he would up me 5k. I watched the car being loaded the next morning, new saw it again, have no idea who bought it or where it went. I have some photos that I took of the car that I will post, got find them

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I’d like to ask for opinions on this car with the cowl and vin tags shown. Unfortunately all we had with us that day was two cell phones. Neither of us wanted to crawl on the fender for more through block inspection. Unfortunately when the car was restored the large power steering vacuum assembly was used making it damn near impossible to look at the back of the block. A bore scope would have helped but had my hands full with a Gin n Tonic and IPhone. Not sure what Tommy had his hands full with as that was 5 or so years ago. Interesting there was only one other real bidder that night besides Tommy.
Robert