Differential codes

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
AUBREY :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
My son had a minor league baseball coach (minor before little not major league) said he had same problems with all the other coaches. Asked if he thought it might be him.
On the more serious sign, I mean side, I think the vehicc, vehecl, car was the second owned by Johnny Cash and he built it after his release from prison after serving his time for building that first one(the one he sang about). Due to union rules GM had to reinstate him and this time he was smarter and didn't write a song about it. This would explain why the original owner (the pack rat that kept everything about the car except the window sticker and build sheet.
Also due to GM's unpopularity of the 58 impala in 58 apparently many 58 Impala bodies were left over. I didn't realize it to be a 62 copo until reading this forum as my engine date cast code (on the rear of the block) says B3062 but the body appears to look more like a 58 Impala that GM apparently held over. Hey, maybe Johnny built mine too. Do I have what ebay sellers would call a RARE or VERY RARE car?:dunno
The devil made me do it.:evil
Ray

M

MK IISS

There is NO WAY Chevrolet would factory install, under the COPO deal or otherwise, 4.56 gears on an air conditioned car, especially a car with the base 283/195 economy engine and a Powerslide auto trans. Why? The same reason you couldn't get A/C on the high RPM solid lifter cars. Think about it.

"the original bill of sale i have list it as a 4.56:1"

If a brain dead dealer installed 4.56 gears on new car like this (it would certainly void the warrenty)....one would have to ask WHY?

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I really knew that as soon as the smallest thing was agreed on it would change and wasn't really going to even take a look at this but curiosity got the best of me. I looked in the 1963 Chevrolet Parts Book and it says the BB code came in both the 283 3 speed and the six cylinder powerglide as a 3:36 ratio. I don't think that he realizes the rear end, if he was really able to get it out, was changed every weekend at the drag strip in about thirly minutes with two people that knew what they were doing.

I am sure that the date code of the gears is coming next and will lead to another Inspector Clouseau type mystery. In this case I think COPO has a new meaning, CHANGED OVER PRIOR to OWNERSHIP.

I still say this guy has a lot of entertainment value look at the number of views on his post it is like watching a soap opera.

:beerbang :beerbang

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"...they were marked as GM 4.56:1 gears..."

I don't believe I've ever seen a ring and pinion set marked as to ratio. The ones I've always seen just listed the teeth number of the ring and the pinion and left you to do the math. Also, doesn't it take a special ring gear/aftermarket set or an adapter plate or something to install a 4.56 set into a 3.36 differential?

SteveD

M

MK IISS

Do you think... maybe...is it possible...that Mr COPO man has not been telling us the truth ?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ya know, I think Im gonna look at him differently. I think chevymuclecars has the right outlook. He is entertaining. It will be fun to see what he comes up with next. Afterall , I dont know anyone else with a 10 sec. 3,800 lb. 283 car. Dont run off , Chevybelaire63. What kind of COPO trans does your car have? We will start from rear and work towards the front....:brow

I have a friend who claims that his 64 Custom Sport 409 340HP / glide car
has a factory "traction dispenser". Sprays SOMETHING on the rear tires:cool:

:roll

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
traction

I believe Camaros had such an accessory. Aerosol cans filled with somthing that would spray on rear tires. Really, I'm not kidding. I think my 67 Firebird had the option listed in the owners manual as well. For winter driving of course!

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yep that was a pretty rare option mostly used up in Aubreys territory...for ice I believe...I know a guy that has a couple cases of the refills !!

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ronnie Russell said:
Afterall , I dont know anyone else with a 10 sec. 3,800 lb. 283 car. Dont run off , Chevybelaire63. What kind of COPO trans does your car have? We will start from rear and work towards the front....:brow

Oh, Stop....Please!.....It Hurts!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, You think it hurts you oughta try reading this post with a fractured rib.:eek:
Ray
PS has anyone firgured out my date cast code yet.B3062

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I had a 283 in a 57 wagon when I first got my license. It also did 9's. NINE quarts of oil a week, out of the breather tube. I had the cleanest firewall in town, till the engine backfired, and set the intake manifold on fire. I had to take my winter coat off, and throw it on the engine, to put the fire out. Not trying to start trouble, but do you think that engine needed a pcv or three?:roll skip