Dim dash lights

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
Was wondering if there is a solution to this issue or is something that old car guys live with. Please don’t say “ don’t drive at night”
I’m wondering if it’s a ground issue? I bought a ground package from show cars...haven’t installed it yet also bought led bulbs but they didn’t seem to help. Ty

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dumb question, but did you turn the light switch to the left by accident.
If you still have the dim interior lights after you have turned the light switch to right, then I have no idea what your problem is.
I thought the braided ground straps are for to stop radio interference.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
When you rotate the switch ccw, do the lights go out? Then rotate cw, they don't go bright enough? I was wondering if something is wrong with the rheostat part of the light switch.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
The dash on my 64, is nowhere as bright, as it used to be.:doh Paul's post, the other day convinced me, now is the time, to switch over to L.E.D's:clap

Junky

Well Known Member
Poor grounds, low battery voltage, poor battery connections, can all lead to dim lights. Even a weak generator or alternator will cause dim lights. Take a battery cable jumper set, and jump from the negative terminal of the battery to the hood hinge, or some other large clean metal surface and see if the lights get brighter. After 50 years, many grounds become compromised, and the path back to the battery isn't as good as it once was. Sometimes, the bulbs themselves have become dirty, and need to be removed, wiped with a damp cloth, and reinstalled. The other thing is that today, with much better lighting in our homes and automobiles, people expect more from their 50+ year old car than they should, when it comes to brightness.

Junky

Well Known Member
How many bulbs does it take to do all the instruments, etc.? I counted 8 for the speedometer cluster, plus the parking brake (mine has a flashing bulb in that location), and one each for the heater control and clock. I don't know how many for the gauges.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The brake light red flashing bulb -bulb is white -has red dash cover (this is a special number bulb -not easy to find) on 61, 62's maybe 63's?---can't be replaced with a LED(the only one that can't).

I used red, green and white LED's as noted below 8 is right on the cluster

62's - The speedmeter cluster -every bulb in that cluster 8 of them (except the flashing one)
high beam (red LED or white LED)
water temperature light
clock light
gas gauge light
oil light (red LED or white LED)
Ignition switch light
Heater control light
Radio light (on top of original radio)
turn signal bulbs (green -dash has green covers -but I used green LEDS

Paul

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too put the LED's PVS409 mentioned in the dash of my 65. I did make the mistake of also putting them in the turn signal sockets. Doesn't take very long for that to annoy the heck out of you, so they had to go.

I am replacing my dash bulbs in my 1963 Wagon with LEDs. What is the the factor color of speedo and gas gauge bulbs. Mine are so dim I can't tell. Also, is the bright headlight light red or blue?
Thank you.