Drag boat yields a 62 QB engine!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
After OldSkyDog left, I couldn't sleep until I dug deeper into the engine that was stuffed into this 1960s vintage drag boat. That night I went out and checked everything out a bit more. It's a date coded 1962 QB "068" block with "A 29 62" born on dates. Heads are matching, and original 690s. Pistons are standard bore GM parts. So is crank. Valve covers are drippers (but show some remants of chrome -- possibly from another engine?). Intake is GM 2x4 and painted an interesting black (water resistant?). Carbs are not original (darn!) but are AFBs, possible AVSs. Has headers with water plugs cut into them (for cooling that marine engine?). Has what I believe to be the original dual point distributor.

I spent the next day with my boys removing parts and most of the "marine" attachments. Fun!

The boat was obviously covered for some time, but I bet it spent it's last few months outside, and water got in the carbs, and in #2 cylinder (valves were open). At least one other cylinder took some water. It looks worse than it actually is, as it cleaned up easily. The bores looks decent, but the bottom end currently does not spin. Plans are to carefully remove those pistons that are accessible and see how that goes. Crank appears OK. After I get the bottom end apart, I will know better what condition she is in. I think it might look good as a "stock" build in my '62 Impala :).

Here are a few pics. Enjoy!

TomK

Attachments

• September 25 2006 Cecil and his drag boat 016A.jpg
    September 25 2006 Cecil and his drag boat 016A.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 161
  • September 25 2006 Cecil and his drag boat 025 KBK.jpg
    September 25 2006 Cecil and his drag boat 025 KBK.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 161

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Drag boat futures

Jim asks: "Did you buy the boat for just the 409, or are you going to restore the boat ?"

The boat was a bonus, and I considered selling it to offset the total cost. But alas, I cannot get myself to sell ANYTHING (I do give things away!) so we decided to keep it and slip another engine in its place. When I say "we" I mean James Schrader and myself. James is my local ace fabricator who I owe a lot to for his contributions to almost everything I do mechanically. So I've "given" the drag boat to James, and he is just tickled to death :).

He suggested firing up the 409 and testing out the boat, and I told him if it went down under the surface I'd have to resurrect Jacque Cousteau to help me raise the boat to save the QB :) :) :).

Plans are to meet tonite to discuss possible engine options for the transplant. The removal is now complete, the 409 on the engine stand, and I am dismantling the bottom end bit by bit. For the new implant, James is thinking "502" (we have one in a dragster), I'm thinking "fresh 427 build". We need to talk options. James has a place on the Lake of the Ozarks where I'm sure we'll sink whatever we put in it!!!

Cheers!

TomK

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Makes ya' wonder how many boats are hidden not "too far" away in Minnesota with 348's and 409's stuck between the bow and stern.

Astro409

Well Known Member
It makes me green with envy.:) J/K, glad to know that you got the 409 and not some ignorant guy like I was a few years back about 409s. I'm only 34 so that had a lot to do with it. I'd probably taken out the 409 and thrown it in the back yard or taken it to a scrap metal place to get rid of and dropped a working motor in the boat.:doh Can you imagine the mess i'd of done.:rolleyes:

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
HOLY COW!!!!! Tom great score on the engine!!! You might have to think about expanding the man shed.

TomO

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Great find congradulations!!! It's too bad the boat isn't a Mandella or you would need Fatride's guard dogs for the boat and motor. There was supposedly a "w" boat up in Northern Delaware according to an old story but it hasn't turned up that I am aware of.