Driveshaft pg to th350 swap

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I swapped my 63 over to th350 trans. I went with 6” short tail 350 and front driveshaft from showcars. When I went to install the driveshaft I’m just a hair too big, when say that from the bearing cup slipping down into the rear yoke and thoughts?

Last edited:

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I meant did you leave the bolts out or loose when fitting the shaft?
What for the carrier bearing? Never got that far with the yoke all the way in the trans still can’t get bearing caps in pinion yoke just a hair to far back.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
The factory 1963 P/G and the Turbo 350 front shafts are different. The Turbo 350 is the same as the 4 speed one.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Yes that’s what showcars told me as well.
Ya that always sucked about the 63-64 P/G's. I kind of wished I left my P/G in our car, as after I swapped in the Turbo 350 the car has always had a vibration no mater what I tried. The fix was getting rid of our 2 piece driveshaft and replacing it with a 1 piece out of an older Chevelle, worked out great. After our big car show of the year next week I will be taking out the Turbo 350 and swapping in the 200R4 I have, so that should be fun. Same length as the Turbo 350 and it has O/D.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ya that always sucked about the 63-64 P/G's. I kind of wished I left my P/G in our car, as after I swapped in the Turbo 350 the car has always had a vibration no mater what I tried. The fix was getting rid of our 2 piece driveshaft and replacing it with a 1 piece out of an older Chevelle, worked out great. After our big car show of the year next week I will be taking out the Turbo 350 and swapping in the 200R4 I have, so that should be fun. Same length as the Turbo 350 and it has O/D.
Did you have it balanced? Did you replace the carrier bearing? Vibrations isn’t really my problem it’s more fitment. I’m going to a slip rear shaft. That should straighten out my problem.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Did you have it balanced? Did you replace the carrier bearing? Vibrations isn’t really my problem it’s more fitment. I’m going to a slip rear shaft. That should straighten out my problem.
Yes I tried everything and the vibration even after 3 engine changes also. Even my 4 speed did not vibrate like that, I suspect it's the Turbo 350 that's the problem. We'll see after I replace it with the other transmission.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I installed the 700R4 in my four door, I had a vibration. It took some adjusting of the driveshaft angles and all is well now.
Don’t have a vibration issue yet lol had fitment issue just a hair big which doesn’t make sense. Showcars front shaft with poly carrier and my stock rear shaft, which I’m switching to a rear slip shaft I’m thinking the new yoke is where I gained some length. I throw a pic up in a bit.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
If your just a hair to long on the front yoke, a machine shop can fix this and put the bevel back on the cut end. Get the shaft (complete end to end) back into a machine shop that handles/builds shafts. They will phase the ujoints and should provide with a print out of the balance sheet. My guys put arrow markings just the way it should go back in. Make sure they use only USA parts, most 4-wheel drive and HP shops that do shafts will only use the best parts.....and you will pay for it, sign of the times.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you’re just a hair too long on the front yoke, a machine shop can fix this and put the bevel back on the cut end. Get the shaft (complete end to end) back into a machine shop that handles/builds shafts. They will phase the ujoints and should provide with a print out of the balance sheet. My guys put arrow markings just the way it should go back in. Make sure they use only USA parts, most 4-wheel drive and HP shops that do shafts will only use the best parts.....and you will pay for it, sign of the times.
I had it to a shop they installed the poly carrier bearing and showcars front driveshaft. They balanced and did all new u joints. I forgot about the yoke being different between pg & 350 so at the last moment I purchased that yoke from Amazon! Ugh it’s a forged chromoly says usa but who knows. Believe me I don’t mind paying considering all the trouble I’ve ran into with parts these days. It’s awful!!

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don’t know if this is true, but I’ve heard that running a poly carrier bearing with a solid rear driveshaft it will destroy the carrier and that the slip rear shaft will fix this? In my mind it makes total sense so I’m going to order a slip shaft from showcars.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don’t know if this is true, but I’ve heard that running a poly carrier bearing with a solid rear driveshaft it will destroy the carrier and that the slip rear shaft will fix this? In my mind it makes total sense so I’m going to order a slip shaft from showcars.
You are correct you cannot run a poly bearing without a slip joint driveshaft - I ruined a poly bearing in my driveshaft on one of my 409's.
Paul

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Paul is correct. The poly will not give like the rubber one. When I brought my D/S in to be cut, poly bearing to be installed, shop said you will need a slip joint in the rear section. They also stated the drive will live a long life with the upgrades.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are correct you cannot run a poly bearing without a slip joint driveshaft - I ruined a poly bearing in my driveshaft on one of my 409's.
Paul
I had the same thing happen and i went back to the rubber support for now when i get time i plan on trying to make a one piece drive shaft work without cutting the frame ???