Driveshaft pg to th350 swap

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the slip joint driveshaft with 1310 U joints I removed from my 62 SS 409 Hardtop - 530 HP 409 stroker motor ---and replaced with another 1350 U joint slip joint 2 piece driveshaft in my 530 HP 409 stroker motor 62 SS Hardtop and a new 9 Inch Ford Rear end.
Both have a billet carrier bearings

The slip joint driveshaft in these pictures is going in Tom K. 1962 SS 409 convertible he is restoring
Paul

IMG_0009-004.JPG IMG_0026.JPG
This driveshaft is going in Tom K - 62 Impala SS convertible he is restoring

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here is the slip joint driveshaft with 1310 U joints I removed from my 62 SS 409 Hardtop - 530 HP 409 stroker motor ---and replaced with another 1350 U joint slip joint 2 piece driveshaft in my 530 HP 409 stroker motor 62 SS Hardtop and a new 9 Inch Ford Rear end.
Both have a billet carrier bearings

The slip joint driveshaft in these pictures is going in Tom K. 1962 SS 409 convertible he is restoring
Paul

View attachment 126257 View attachment 126256
This driveshaft is going in Tom K - 62 Impala SS convertible he is restoring
Were you getting any vibrations out of that?

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
No vibrations on the one I removed and 2 others in my 62’s.
All the slip joint driveshafts I have were built and balanced by Driveline company in Sioux Falls South Dakota.
The original driveshafts we’re factory 4 speed driveshafts.
Paul

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No vibrations on the one I removed and 2 others in my 62’s.
All the slip joint driveshafts I have were built and balanced by Driveline company in Sioux Falls South Dakota.
The original driveshafts we’re factory 4 speed driveshafts.
Paul
I see showcars has the rear slip, how much slip 2”? Thank you!

Hi guys what rubber carrier bearing are you buying??? There are so many and the prices are all over the place. Im running stock 283 with t350 behind it drive shaft will be cut down and balanced for t350. But what brand or # of carrier to order?????

lennyjay

Well Known Member
If you are keeping the car, Paul's photos of the bearing, slip joint driveshaft are what you want. I have a 409 w/4 speed, like this setup, no problems and all grease-able. A good 4-wheel drive shop can handle all mods needed.

Well Known Member
Without Rear Slip Yoke. :cool: :good:good:good Yes beanpackrat196 2wagon. With stock style carrier bearing.

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I run one in the race car without the slip at the rear with no problems. Now this car doesn't get many miles.

Well Known Member
Over the years I have replaced 2 on my '62 . One was due to cracks in the metal parts of the center support. And the other was was failure of the rubber part. Never had any bearing failure.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Paul, can I run this with stock drive shaft without new rear slip yoke, I have heard both ways. I know not to tighten bolts tell it is settled on the ground with weight of the car on rear tires.
I have a billet carrier in my 62 impala 327/300 HP 4 speed - 13,000 miles over about 10 years.
no problem without a slip joint driveshaft.
Paul

Well Known Member
:cool: But I like the oem. The rubber around the bearing was like a coushion around the bearing. The billet is not.

Last edited:

Well Known Member
Just wondering ... Where the center support bearings back in the day better built. With the 327's and 409's. ??? Did GM have problems with them.???