Dual, or single carb?

ec1981

Hey guys, I was wondering If I should stay with the dual carb set up, or go with a single carb?
Can I still get the HP out of my 409/409?
I am also looking for a stock timing chain cover.
Let me know

Marcoz

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Your call

If you are referring to the factory aluminum intakes from GM that sit atop the big heads (690s, 583s, or aftermarket aluminum heads), while the dual quads sure look cool, I bet with the right workings you could get just as much HP out of the stock single four barrel setup. Several racers out there prefer the single carb, and they are quarter mile fellows. I think Travis Horton and our friend from Australia, ChevyTaylor both run single four barrel setups and get good times. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

If you're just running on the street, my opinion is there's nothing so good looking as multiple carb setups. I prefer the stock GM stuff, so I like the dual quads on 409s and tripower on 348s. But in terms of performance, some of the aftermarket intakes might offer improvements in fuel delivery. Fatride is just now modifying an aftermarket (Edelbrock?) single four barrel intake, and soon we'll see how that improves the times of his 1960 Impala :).

I'm sure others have some opinions and insights well beyond what I've mentioned.

All in all, it's your call to make!

Best,
TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, that's a dual four that fatride is working on. The Edelbrock single four intake was supposed to be available last month, but it's not here yet. Aubrey's should be available pretty soon as well. As far as horse power is concerned I think Aubreys will be better than the Edelbrock and maybe as good or better than a dual four.

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Aha!

Dave, thanks for correcting me on that. I guess I got so caught up in the words and the pics he took of the runners that I never noticed the top!

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Back in 62 the only difference between a 380hp 409 and a 409hp 409 was the intake and carbs. I don't think there was a 29hp gain by adding a second carb.:rolleyes:

It's hard to say what the new Edelbrock single quad intake will be like but assuming they don't do anything weird it should work well. My guess is that it'll make more average power than a factory dual quad setup on a stock high performance 409. The dual quad might make a little more at peak rpm but I'm positive the single quad Edelbrock will make more power through the low and mid range. It wouldn't surprise me if Edelbrocks single quad setup outperforms their dual quad setup on a stock high perf. 409.
On a modified or stroked 409 I think Aubrey's single plane, single quad intake is going to outpower both the factory dual quad and the Edelbrock dual quad.
It'll be interesting to see what happens.

A year ago we didn't have very many choices when it came to intake manifolds but soon we'll have something for every horsepower level.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave - The new date is April 3rd is the date that I have been told for the Edelbrock single 4 manifolds.

TomO

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks TomO........ I'm waiting patiently (sort of)....... my 360 HP 409 is still sitting at the machine shop with a 540 Intake on it. As soon as I can get a new Edelbrock it will go back on the dyno and we'll see how it works.

DAve

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
ec1981...............

Being thinking a lot about your question and have come to the conclusion that it would be best for you to...................

just put a blower on your engine!!!!:clap:clap:clap:roll:roll:roll

Just forget the carbs!!!!!

ec1981

blower

NICE!!!!!
would to get this engine blown:brow
but, I would like to drive it sometimes.
Phill, I hear say that you are the one that might have some
parts for my engine.
looking for the alt brackets and timing cover.
Might you be the one I hear about, partner?
P.S. just took my block into the shop to be redone.:beerbang
hopefully, I'll have it in my car within a month:cheers
still thinking of how i will go, single or dual quads?
if I go single, I might have a intake and carbs for sale.
Marcoz

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Tom, that's a dual four that fatride is working on. The Edelbrock single four intake was supposed to be available last month, but it's not here yet. Aubrey's should be available pretty soon as well. As far as horse power is concerned I think Aubreys will be better than the Edelbrock and maybe as good or better than a dual four.

Dave
Years ago we modified a dual plain factory dual carb factory intake to a single plain. I know this sounds too good to be true....but on our 453 it made something over 50 hp. This was a pretty decent race motor with head work and a roller....but 50 hp was hard to believe. To my knowlege the Shaffer boys did the same trick with similar results on a comperable motor. I'll bet I still have the intake around.....somewhere?????

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mod. stock intake

You are correct again Russ, the Shaffer boys have been doing that for a long time. Single four stuff coming out soon MAY prove to be better. But if you look at the performance of the obsolete missle,and faded memories car they ran damn well for how basic the engine combos seem to be. I look foward to dyno comparisons between 2 4s and a "real" single 4 intake. Aubrey!

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Good old days

You are correct again Russ, the Shaffer boys have been doing that for a long time. Single four stuff coming out soon MAY prove to be better. But if you look at the performance of the obsolete missle,and faded memories car they ran damn well for how basic the engine combos seem to be. I look foward to dyno comparisons between 2 4s and a "real" single 4 intake. Aubrey!
You're right Tony Shaffer modified the first dual four intake.... ours was the second....Hard to believe but that was nearly 20 years ago. We finally used the intake on a 430 in. piece....built for the early pro-nostalgia class....made 675hp.
Tony Shaffer later made a similar modification to a Z11 intake. They made just over 700 hp with the heads and intake on a 440 in....Donnie ran, as I remember 9.80's. So does the Obsolete Missile that is currrently for sale have the Z11 heads...no...Donnie sold the top half some time back. The car currently has a set of Tony's 690's....and generally runs very low tens...and has been 9.90's.