Dual quads vs. single four.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, The front carb. on O.E. set-up had an idle circuit. It is necessary. They did not have the adjustable air needle screws. You just need a "brother" to the carb. you bought. Remove choke from front carb. and you are good to go. No doubt you will rebuild at which time you can check to make sure jet sizes match.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Guys - If I remeber correctly Travis Horton is running 10s with single 4. Hopefully he will chime in here.

TomO

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Single four.

If I could run the same numbers with a single four as with dual quads I would opt for the quads just for curb appeal! :love

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
fatride said:
If I could run the same numbers with a single four as with dual quads I would opt for the quads just for curb appeal! :love
Ray,I also like the looks of a dual quad setup :D

M

MK IISS

Terry Prince

I noticed Terry Prince's 1960 Chevy was mentioned. Terry's car was a '60 Royal Blue BelAir 2-dr sedan with the 320 horse 348. At the 1962 NHRA Spring Nationals Terry took the B/S class win beating out the famous Ford driver Les Richey's purpose built 1962 Ford 405 horse 406 4-dr Galaxie. Terry's time/speed was 13.21 @ 104. Don Nicholson was involved in setting up the car.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Small engine ,big horse power.

Assuming Terrys car weight at 3600 lbs. he would need 316 rear wheel HP to reach 104 mph in the 1/4. That would be around 372 HP at the crank. That would be 1.1 hp /ci. Not bad for a 320 hp 348 in 1962! Sure would like to know how they did that :? Did that article give a clue as to the cars actual weight :scratch That 405 HP Ford must have been pulling aboat anchor. :dunno

M

MK IISS

The article doesn't get into car weight, but I think a BelAir 2-dr without any extra options would weigh less than 3600#. Terry's 348/320 was probably the '60 mid year release version of the 320 horse which had the same specs as the '61 340 horse 348. The 406 Ford was a heavy 4-dr. specially built to run in B Stock. This is what I ment when I said "purpose built".