Early vintage W-motor drag pictures

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It kind of looks like it might be a straight axle.:scratch
I don't know anything about the car, it's just a picture I came across somewhere on the internet.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Greetings jim_ss409,

Cool pics, thanks for posting. In picture 3 of 5 of this set, is that a straight-axel front end. Do you recall any '60 models converted to straight axel?

Thanks,

Michael

I don't know about cars that were actually raced but there is a straight axle 62 Belair in the Baltimore area. It used to be seen at the Lowes Friday night cruises. Maybe John has a picture.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Found it.

575cf498.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I saw it often at Cecil County. It was raced around the central east coast, Maple Grove, York, etc. If Chip Hurlock checks in he may remember who drove it but I don't.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Name was Gene Carter. He raced on the East Coast.
I ran against him back in 62 and 63 when we had a 62 conv. 09 car.
Also we had a 1964 GTO that ran B stock in 1964 and 65 that race against him.
was a very fast 61. 09.
Allen

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Sure is nice to see those old pics. From what I remember , the Jackshaw Chevy (Cleveland, Ohio) 63 was driven by Eddie Schartman.
After that the car went to Earl Evans Chevy (Painesville, Ohio), driven by Dale Evans (not the cowgirl:()
It would be nice to have a portfolio of all the great "09s" of the day:).

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I vaguely remember Mousie Brown racing in the early 60's running super stock and A/stock with that Bel Air at Aquasco Raceway,Capitol Raceway,also and seeing him a bit at 75-80 Drag Strip.I believe he was out of the DC area..Another sight says he raced and worked for for Rosenthal Chevy in the DC ,Northern Va. area If I remember the car ran extremely well..

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Found this on the SuperCar Registry, "Mousie Brown raced a '62 Chevy Belair 2-dr sedan out of Rosenthal Chevrolet in Alexandria, Va. It was part of a race team of cars sponsored by Annabelle Walker. He also went on to race a '63 the next year."

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ware did this car run ?
311175_10151321452592718_1020562348_n.jpg

Believe this picture was taken at Capitol Raceway or possibly at Aquasco Race Way..Both tracks have and had that raised build up and staging lanes.I also vaguely remember seeing the car in the Balto. -Washington race tracks.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's another shot of the "Thumper" car.Found this looking around the internet.Not sure whose picture this is ,so I can't give anyone credit. John

thumper.jpg

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's a shot I came across.Looks to be a picture right out of the old Eastern Drag Times publication.Believe this to be a Dan Bell picture. Johnaaab.jpg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Look closely at the Friendly Chevrolet, Buddy Taylor, Barry Taylor's father. I remember lots of match races with that car, always a winner!!
Thought I would share a few more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg