Fabricators, check in here.

bobs409

Administrator
When I get an idea, I clench onto it like a pit bull! My latest creative idea is to get some things fabricated like sand paper sheet rack, sand paper roll rack & various holders and racks to help organize my garage.

So... I think I'm gonna draw up a few plans, buy some 22 gauge sheet steel and have a go at some things I've been wanting. To buy these items already made I found they are never cheap and NEVER exactly what you want. By building these yourself, you're in total control over size and design to fit your space or items.

Thought while I'm starting this, maybe some of you that have "created" something already would like to show it off in this thread. Can be anything car or garage related. Preferably made of metal but even wood will do. (cabinets, etc) Basically anything you made that is for your car like a tool or an item for the garage. (or always wanted to) Idea's are very welcome...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, I've used desk top paper trays from office supply stores to hold my sheets of sand paper. But they are only plastic.

bobs409

Administrator
After checking my sand paper stash, I decided to make a rack that is 23 wide by 12-13 inches tall. It will have 16 compartments that will hold 9 X 11 inch sheets. (one or two will be sectioned off for half sheets)

Basically this design but openings will be about 1-1/2 inches tall:

pacon-construction-paper-storage-unit-white-pic1.jpg

Once that parts is done, I will start designing the next section that I might attach under the one above for sand paper rolls. Possibly based on one of these ideas:

a4d1f03b33a78ef127125ae40bf5ba12.jpg 023942cea023033cd1b622e5923215da.jpg

Will have a hacksaw blade mounted to help tear pieces off. (if it works, if not, a pair of scissors nearby) :D

Not sure yet on sand paper discs and the inline air sander type pieces.

This will mount on the wall and free up a big drawer and a shelf where this stuff now resides.

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
After checking my sand paper stash, I decided to make a rack that is 23 wide by 12-13 inches tall. It will have 16 compartments that will hold 9 X 11 inch sheets. (one or two will be sectioned off for half sheets)

Basically this design but openings will be about 1-1/2 inches tall:

View attachment 43169

Once that parts is done, I will start designing the next section that I might attach under the one above for sand paper rolls. Possibly based on one of these ideas:

View attachment 43171 View attachment 43170

Will have a hacksaw blade mounted to help tear pieces off. (if it works, if not, a pair of scissors nearby) :D

Not sure yet on sand paper discs and the inline air sander type pieces.

This will mount on the wall and free up a big drawer and a shelf where this stuff now resides.

Where did you get the cool colored sandpaper, Bob?

bobs409

Administrator
Well I got my sheetmetal. I bought (4) 4X4 sheets of 22 gauge so I have lots to play with. Only $14.62 each. Have all kinds of idea's running wild in my head now! :D

Now I gotta get myself out of this chair and hit the garage. :brush

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Have all kinds of idea's running wild in my head now! :D
images

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bob, must have a, Hidden Grease Fitting, in his hair.:dunno:dunno2 That Pigeon's beak, looks like another Bird.:eek1

bobs409

Administrator
Got all the parts made and before leaving for the night, thought I'd install one shelf just to test the welder out. I wanted to use my HF tong welder which should be the perfect tool to assemble this rack made with 22 gauge but NO.... For some strange reason, the welds will not hold! The tool was doing everything it could and should do, metal was heating up cherry red and smoking, dimpled both pieces but there must be something strange about this metal as they just pop back apart. I did clean all the oil off the metal. This worked good on car sheet-metal for the 63 which was 19 gauge.

Guess it's plan B or plan C now. I can plug weld or I can use rivets, will decide by tomorrow. (any of these will work fine)

Coming along nicely though. Got a little repetitive making all the shelves which is basically 80 percent of this. Will trim it out with 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/8 inch steel angle iron.

I'll soon be well organized (sheet sand paper wise) anyway. :D

Pictures when there's something worth showing. For now, it's just a stack of metal pieces. ;)

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
This is a stand I made to hold some of the tools only occasionally used. I recently purchased a plasma cutter and wanted to try it out on a little project. The female parts are trailer hitch tube, the male stems are 2x2x1/8. 20151102_171831.jpg 20151102_171810.jpg 20151102_171741.jpg 20151102_171704.jpg My intention is to cut a hole in my main work bench and weld a female tube in it as well.
Shane