Fabricators, check in here.

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
Running my business out of a small shop at home I am constantly juggling cars around that don't run. The shop floor is slightly above grade, making it hard to push cars back in the shop by myself. I had a spare atv winch out in the wood shed and decided to put it to good use. 20151026_120151.jpg It is made from some scrap 1/8" plate as a base. I anchored 2 loops in the floor at the front of each bay. This little rig pulls cars in the shop no problem. I use it quite a bit and only have to charge it every couple of months.
Shane

bobs409

Administrator
Running my business out of a small shop at home I am constantly juggling cars around that don't run. The shop floor is slightly above grade, making it hard to push cars back in the shop by myself. I had a spare atv winch out in the wood shed and decided to put it to good use. View attachment 43219 It is made from some scrap 1/8" plate as a base. I anchored 2 loops in the floor at the front of each bay. This little rig pulls cars in the shop no problem. I use it quite a bit and only have to charge it every couple of months.
Shane

That's something I could use. Especially to get a non running car on my 4 post lift. I did it once with a hand winch. (gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes) :D

bobs409

Administrator
Did the weld brake or did it pull out of the parent metal
Maybe different wire.

This doesn't use wire. It has 2 tongs that I'm guessing melts the 2 pieces together. Our cars were put together using this method (that's the dimples in the metal) I'll see if I can post a picture that shows it better later.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This doesn't use wire. It has 2 tongs that I'm guessing melts the 2 pieces together. Our cars were put together using this method (that's the dimples in the metal) I'll see if I can post a picture that shows it better later.
Almost sounds like an Arc welder which has been modified to work as a TIG welder. I bet what you're missing is filler rod to make the weld work but
:pics

bobs409

Administrator
Nope, no filler rod. This is it, runs on 220Volts:

DSCN5996.jpg

DSCN5993.jpg

DSCN5994.jpg

I think there might be some type of coating on the metal causing the problem. I switched over to using my flux core welder today and at first noticed it too was not sticking very good. From now on, I hit all contact points with my flap sander to get to good clean metal with good results. I'll have to retry the tong welder, I think it will work by doing that.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It's a resistance welder and it's how cars are spot welded together. In order for it to work, the metal has to be clean and touching where the jaws meet. It sounds like the welder is doing its job, you're probably right about the coating. Is it Chinese steel?:poke

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If that was the picture of the spot welds my thought is back off on the time a little. But you do want clean metal.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the pics, you saved me the trouble of google'ing what you're working on :D
Which is good, but that is not what I had in my head.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Bob
that is called a spot welder
used in the sheet metal business all the time
and in car builds
used one for a lot of years in my feeder business welding motor boxes and funnels

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Okay don't try this at home.
Now I am always making some bracket or trying to shape some peace and not having a mill its like working with a stick and a rock.
So I needed a way to hold my die grinder.
There was this hole in my bench already so I found a peace of tubing that fit the die grinder then welded it to a peace of angle and bolted it to my bench then drilled a hole in a peace of wood so the tool would stand prod of the table so I could change the bit without removing the grinder.
So be gentle on me just an old hack.20160313_145723.jpg 20160313_145701.jpg 20160313_145846.jpg
Now I am operating it with a foot control.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Running my business out of a small shop at home I am constantly juggling cars around that don't run. The shop floor is slightly above grade, making it hard to push cars back in the shop by myself. I had a spare atv winch out in the wood shed and decided to put it to good use. View attachment 43219 It is made from some scrap 1/8" plate as a base. I anchored 2 loops in the floor at the front of each bay. This little rig pulls cars in the shop no problem. I use it quite a bit and only have to charge it every couple of months.
Shane
Shane!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't heard much from you since the 2004 Convention!!!! Hope all is well. Still have your (?) Wide Glide!!!!!!!!!
Shane is the only one who came to the 2004 409 Convention on a Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you are still around.

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
You are definitely mistaking me for someone else Phil. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to either convention. Never rode a Harley either. Lol.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That sheet metal has to have a coating otherwise it would be rusted by the time you bought it, long boat ride from Asia.