Fan placement

409envy

Well Known Member
You need the spacer that goes in between the fan and your water pump pulley.... fan should be in the shroud with maybe 1/4" of the blades exposed. If you run it as is it may not cool efficiently and will likely run hot.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do you have the 6 mounting spacers on your 6 bolts radiator mounting bracket used on all
factory 409 cars? These spacers move the fan shroud at least a 1” closer to the motor.
Show Cars in Minnesota has the factory style spacers. These spacers correctly locate the 409 fan shroud in
your pictures over the fan.

Also all factory 409’s had dual deep groove upper water pump pulleys ( dual pulleys would move the
fan toward the radiator ). They also had factory dual deep groove one piece crankshaft pulleys.

Paul

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Do you have the 6 mounting spacers on your 6 bolts radiator mounting bracket used on all
factory 409 cars? These spacers move the fan shroud at least a 1” closer to the motor.
Show Cars in Minnesota has the factory style spacers. These spacers correctly locate the 409 fan shroud in
your pictures over the fan.

Also all factory 409’s had dual deep groove upper water pump pulleys ( dual pulleys would move the
fan toward the radiator ). They also had factory dual deep groove one piece crankshaft pulleys.

Paul
I do not have any spacers as of yet. I think I need to get a longer fan clutch and then possibly the spacers. I have other pullies that I can try, but somehow I believe this was the best of what I already have.

Reactions: 327