Feedback on 348 to 434 build plan

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Engine for a 63 Impala SS convertible
5 speed Richmond overdrive with 3.55 rear gears.
Not sure of the tire size at this time
Mostly Street, but ready for a pass or two

Original block is a 1960 Car block (1 compression Relief cut)

4” Eagle stroker Crank
Icon 10.8 Compression pistons with Moly rings (.030 over) 1.155 bore
Scat H beam 6.135 rods with ARP 7/16” bolts
Cam Details (Howards Cam)
  • SKU:CL138051-09
  • Stock #:CL138051-09
  • UPC #:840793141241
  • Camshaft Series: Big Mama Rattler
  • Camshaft Type: Hydraulic Flat Tappet
  • Duration Exhaust: 297
  • Duration Intake: 289
  • Duration at 050 Exhaust: 243
  • Duration at 050 Intake: 235
  • Engine: 348/409
  • Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
  • Intake Centerline: 103
  • Lobe Separation: 109
  • Engine Manufacturer: Chevrolet
  • RPM Range: 1800 to 5600
  • Valve Lift Intake/Exhaust: .548

Edelbrock heads (Looking at complete with standard springs and valves. Maybe do some light porting)
    3/8 inch Edelbrock push rods
    Scorpion Roller rockers 1.75 Ratio
    Edelbrock 2X4 intake with dual 500 CFM carbs
    Hi-flow stock style oil pump
    Edelbrock aluminum water pump
    Stock distributor with Mallory breakerless conversion

Also will probably go with a set of Dougs ceramic coated headers.

I'm thinking I could save a little money going with an I beam connecting rod over the H beam and maybe even some rotating weight, so I might go that way as I think "I" beams will more than hold up to the HP numbers I am going to produce.

I think the above combination should put me around the 450 HP area and let the car run on Premium unleaded gas.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You're right about the rods,but since you'r e looking at Howards Cams,I suggest going with one with a lobe separation of 110 or 112 for a wider torque band and better mileage.Something like pn CL1300331-10 would be a better over all choice.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Check out our own Bob Walla for aluminum heads. Shoot, it's his Birthday today....send him a Private Message and tell him you want to buy a set and MAKE HIS DAY!!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob's heads are comparable in price,can be had with optional porting,and are a better product.Eddie's push rods are suspect in quality,and you're going to need to measure for for the correct length anyway.Once you get far enough along with your engine to need the push rod,order them from Howards,or Comp in the length that you'll need for the correct valve train geometry.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
You're right about the rods,but since you'r e looking at Howards Cams,I suggest going with one with a lobe separation of 110 or 112 for a wider torque band and better mileage.Something like pn CL1300331-10 would be a better over all choice.
The CL130331-10 doesn't look bad, I was just a little worried about the RPM range it lists as being a little out of normal everyday street driving range.

Check out our own Bob Walla for aluminum heads. Shoot, it's his Birthday today....send him a Private Message and tell him you want to buy a set and MAKE HIS DAY!!!!!
I found Classic Industries selling a pair of the Edelbrock heads complete with valves, springs, and guide plates for $2000.00. Bob does not advertise his price, but the one place I found that referenced price had them at $2500 for a pair of bare castings. By the time I get them all fitted up the price would probably be about $3000. While I would fully agree that the Bob Walla heads are a superior product, I think the Edelbrock will get me where I need to be at a significant cost savings unless Bob's prices have really come down. I don't feel it is fair for me to waste Bob's time asking only for him to not get the sale. Also I'm going to be building the bottom end this year and start on the top end at the beginning of next, unless the overtime starts to roll in.

Bob's heads are comparable in price,can be had with optional porting,and are a better product.Eddie's push rods are suspect in quality,and you're going to need to measure for for the correct length anyway.Once you get far enough along with your engine to need the push rod,order them from Howards,or Comp in the length that you'll need for the correct valve train geometry.
That is good info to have I will have to look more into push rods as the time to purchase those gets closer.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,but that rpm range is listed for an engine with smaller cubic inches and less stroke than your planned engine.With your planned 1/2 inch extra stroke,you can lower the band by about 5-600 rpm ,meaning more torque in the lower part of the band,and a broader mid range.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Deadwolf the last time I talked to Bob about heads he quoted me about 2350 for a complete pair ready to bolt on and go set up for my specific engine combination.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Deadwolf the last time I talked to Bob about heads he quoted me about 2350 for a complete pair ready to bolt on and go set up for my specific engine combination.
I'll see what he has to say, but what is his user name on the site. Bob Walla doesn't come up as a member.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mind if I ask "Why not base this build on a 409 block?" as opposed to a passenger 348 block?

If I had a '63 convertible and wanted to "clone" it with a period correct drive line I'd try to locate a bare 409 block and build that as you propose.

True your gonna have a lot of cubes with that bore and stroke for the 348, and with those heads and headers it's going to make a lot of torque.

My concern would be spending Big Bucks on a high perf high end "W" based on a 348 block.

Just asking :).

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Just call Bob. If he is in a good mood....he might throw in a cheap aluminum block too!!!!!!
We know you Don't know him....but he is truly one of the good guys!!

I wasn't going to call him on a weekend or on his birthday, but I did E-mail him and he has gotten back to me. The build will now most likely have Bob Walla Heads. I will probably drive down and pick them up once I scrounge up the money since he is about 3 hours from me. So the line of communication has been opened up at least.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Mind if I ask "Why not base this build on a 409 block?" as opposed to a passenger 348 block?

If I had a '63 convertible and wanted to "clone" it with a period correct drive line I'd try to locate a bare 409 block and build that as you propose.

True your gonna have a lot of cubes with that bore and stroke for the 348, and with those heads and headers it's going to make a lot of torque.

My concern would be spending Big Bucks on a high perf high end "W" based on a 348 block.

Just asking :).

This is a fair question. I unfortunately don't have an unlimited budget. I make good money and know this stuff is not cheap, but I also have a family with a wife going back to college and soon a daughter in college. My father gave me the car after he finally realized he will never get around to doing it. He is 71 years old and has smoldering bone cancer which is suspected of being from exposure to agent orange, could have a year left or 10 years according to the doctor. We always talked about what he wanted to do to the car, but he just never got around to it. He always talked about when he graduated high school he always wanted a 409 4 speed convertible SS.

My plan is to get the car as close to what he described as possible while he is still able to drive it and bring him out and plan some kind of road trip and let him drive and have fun. Maybe participate in a power tour of some kind or something else. Then once the day I dread comes I will always have the car to remind me of him. So time is a factor in me getting this car done.

It also doesn't hurt that while my Grandfather was alive he kept this car running for my dad to enjoy with the 283 and power glide transmission, but my dad always wanted a stick and more power. He was an original Mr. Goodwrench for 35 years.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
GREAT story!!!!!
Curious.....did Bob give a cheap price on an aluminum block?????????????
Got a good price on the heads. I wasn't going to press my luck with an aluminum block!

Any thing that we can do to help,please don't hesitate to ask.:hug
Already doing that by answering my questions and giving feedback. Just got to keep rework down and make sure I don't order parts I don't need.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I hear you on the unnecessary parts! I will say this,when you're done tuning this package,this thing will blow away,in terms of torque and street manners,,any stock stroke 09 out there. Both you and your dad will be pleased.