Firewall marking`s

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
well cant be impling from my picture cause only markings on firewall that i see which the fire wall has never been painted over it only has the yellow 8 fawn behind the driver side wheel well. other than that nothing below the heater box or above it but black firewall.

dave62

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, I don't post often, probably because I don't have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to 09's, therefore not much to add. However, in restoring my 62 belair I shot some pics of my firewall markings for documentation purposes. I can't say for sure what everyone else's markings may mean but I can say with relative certainty what mine are telling me. First off, my car is a laurel green belair 2 door sedan with a green interior. The paint is original and the interior was when i bought it from it's second owner. According to the trim and paint codes, my car left the factory with an 823 interior (green cloth & vinyl for belair only) and 905 paint (laurel green). My pics show 2 digit markings which I believe represent these two codes. Interestingly the # 23 was marked twice, once in yellow and again in black, while the #05 was written twice in yellow, I guess the first time they thought that it wasn't to be a green car and they crossed it out. I think this supports the theory that they were marked in yellow prior to painting, reason one being that why mark the paint code after it's painted and two, even if it was marked after painting why was it crossed out the first time? did the guy not know his colors? :dunno The reason I suspect that they didn't mark the full paint and trim code is because they all started with the same numbers thus making it unnecessary. My car was built in the Tarrytown NY plant, perhaps different plants marked them differently. I will attempt to follow up this reply with another one with the pics attached. Thanks to all, this is an awesome site, thank you Bob for all you do to keep it running. :)

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
well if the 8 in yellow above fawn in yellow is the paint code only 8 numbers i see is for ivy green which the car isnt trim tag list the car as saddle tan exterior and fawn vinyl and cloth interior.

dave62

Well Known Member
Well, my pics are too large to upload. :cry Does anyone know how to reduce the file size? Or I can email them to someone who can reduce them. :) Thank Dave

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
paint code is 932 (saddle tan) and interior code 863 (fawn)

unless the 8 is implying the first numeral to the interior color but then again all interior codes started with a 8.

dave62

Well Known Member
Belair 63, I guess there were no standards as to what was marked on the firewalls. I agree that your markings don't indicate what mine do.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
i do know after the 863 code theres about 4 spaces and then a numeral 4.

863 4 <---- thats how its set up. maybe the 4 has something to do with the 8.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
not only that but im hearing all this bout it being marked in crayon before the paint was applied. well mine isnt crayon. its yellow paint and was put on top of the semi gloss black paint on the fireway. the slight haze was from overspray i did when i painted the brake booster.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Well only thing i can think of logically is that the 8 is implied as in V8 as in to install a V8 in the car. cause i hear bout 409 wrote on the firewall and hood,ect well maybe the 8 stands for the 283-327 cid small blocks. or just the 283 for all i know. I know the car is from Kansas city MO. leeds plant. too bad they shut down in mid to late 1990`s with improper handling of hazadrous chemicals.

JokersBel

Banned
You'll have to repost a pic 63...it never showed up for me. I was thinking about another 59 i used to own...see pic...

1211 is the body style for Biscayne 2dr sedans (which is correct)
833 is for blue interior (which is also correct)

and obviously,these markings were over the paint in what looks to be a crayon-type. JC327 now owns this car.

I imagine all the factory workers working all week long, and I see 3 shifts too. Now, it seems obvious to me variations would exist. Which is why not all are the same. BUT, the trim code, if marked, seems true. It could all be an amazing coincidence. This pic here shows even yet another variation to the mix. What is it you are looking for belair63? I get the impression you are trying to make the numbers mean something?? I may be wrong, no offense or anything, repost the pic of your car so we can see!

Jim

Attachments

• biscayne.JPG
    biscayne.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 36
  • biscayne 2.JPG
    biscayne 2.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 46

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
730factory2-med.JPG

Im just curious as to what it means. or what its talking about cause when i figured out it says fawn thats what got me curious especially since after the interior code theres a 4 on the trim tag that i coul dnever figure out and think it might be related to that.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
no its 8 fawn. if you look at the round bead it has a n there and if you look in the hazy area thats a F behind the slight overspray. But im thinking maybe the 8 is in realtion to the engine which would be 8 cylinder or maybe 283 i dont know.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Many Ideas

It's been six days and some 75 threads, There have been many opinions, some good, some bad . There have been many comnents as well. I think we have just about beaten this puppy to death. it's time to pick the one or two that you think are the best and through out the rest. . I have a freind that retired from the Tarrytown Plant in the late 60' . I will ask him the next time I speak with him regarding firewall markings.
Good luck to you and have a great day...

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dave62 said:
First off, my car is a laurel green belair 2 door sedan with a green interior. The paint is original and the interior was when i bought it from it's second owner. According to the trim and paint codes, my car left the factory with an 823 interior (green cloth & vinyl for belair only) and 905 paint (laurel green). My pics show 2 digit markings which I believe represent these two codes. Interestingly the # 23 was marked twice, once in yellow and again in black, while the #05 was written twice in yellow, I guess the first time they thought that it wasn't to be a green car and they crossed it out.

I`m posting these photos for Dave, dq

Attachments

• Resize of 000_0007.JPG
    Resize of 000_0007.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 37
  • Resize of 100_0236.JPG
    Resize of 100_0236.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Resize of 100_0582.JPG
    Resize of 100_0582.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Resize of Tag.jpg
    Resize of Tag.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 33

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
DQ,
I'll have to take back what I said about having never seen a paint code in crayon on the firewall. I had seen many other codes but didn't think I had seen the paint code until yesterday when I was disassembling my 61 parts car and there was an 09 and a 48 on the firewall. The car has a 809 trim code and a 948 paint code. Now, I'm trying to determine when this was written on the car and daggone if I don't believe you're right again. I wiped the area with lacquer thinner and the crayon marks would not come off. By the time that I wiped the marks off, I had red primer showing. I think you are right, It appears to have bled through the paint. That car is a LA car. I was looking for the complete code when only the last digits were there.
Now, I'm looking at my blue 61 and theres a 4 on the right side of the firewall and the paint code is 914. Maybe that is the paint code :dunno

Attachments

• 61SS firewall markings.jpg
    61SS firewall markings.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 29

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
All this talk of firewall markings made me curious. so even though it's only 10 degrees in the shop and football is on, i took a few pics. the body is originally a 283 impala with glide and tinted windshield. the several marx i found are a mystery to me, they dont seem to match the cowl tag at all.