First small block engine

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hmm... That got me to thinking. They guy I bought that early 068 block from in Stover, MO (the one Pat now has with a March 24 1961 casting) also showed me a 265 engine and I remember him saying something about it being real early. I recall it was blue in color, not Chevy Orange. This was maybe ten years ago. I'm sure it's not the same engine, but I wonder if the guy still has the other one? I might need to retrace my steps some day and head to Stover :).

Way to go, Pat!

TomK

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hope when he is on the show next weekend he will give some of the history on that engine.
Looking forward to watching it.
:winner

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We had a 265 that was painted blue back when I was little. I thought that a lot of them left the factory painted blue in '55? Someone gave it to Daddy and said it ran. He held onto it for years for a spare and kept it covered. He eventually gave it away.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
When I was asst parts manager at a local Chevrolet dealer The owner had a N.O.S Chevy 265 complete engine assembly for a 1955 and I remember it being painted Green My cruisin "Buddy"s " Dad had a 55 also with a green 265. I thought they were red (55 & 56 ) Chevy orange came out with the 283. I have also seen Yellow (Chartruse ) 57/265 I believe the 57/265 was being fazed out.:dunno:rub
:crazy:cheers

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I was asst parts manager at a local Chevrolet dealer The owner had a N.O.S Chevy 265 complete engine assembly for a 1955 and I remember it being painted Green My cruisin "Buddy"s " Dad had a 55 also with a green 265. I thought they were red (55 & 56 ) Chevy orange came out with the 283. I have also seen Yellow (Chartruse ) 265s 55 & 56:dunno:rub
:crazy:cheers
Butch, now that you mention it the one Daddy had could have been green. I'm pretty sure it was just blue though. If it was green then it was a more teal or blue-green color. I do remember him telling me it came that color.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Did the 55 Chevys have vacuum wipers I see this one has a fuel/vacuum pump?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The answer Wrench is that some of them had a single diaphram fuel pump and some didn't.Electric wipers may have been an option.My 55 had electric wipers,one 56 did.the other didn't until I converted it.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just read online that this engine is supposed to be on display at the Danchuck Tri-Five Nationals.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had a 56 Chevy with vacuum wipers. Mine worked off of manifold vacuum so they would stop working anytime you stepped hard on the gas peddle.
So, if you decided to pass a truck on a two lane highway, your wipers would not be working the entire time you were passing. :alarmed

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My 56 Belair was Vacuum wipers, but then it was made in Canada for export
We usually followed a year behind the USA for changes i.e. all of our 57s had a 55-56 dash in them
Didnt see electric wiper motors here till 58
Steve

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Way back in the day, I was still in high school, (58-59) I has 2 small blocks I had picked-one was a blue green (may have come out of a truck) and one was a yellow block. think both were factory colors. Both came out of a junk yard.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That's a new one to me. Never seen the optional oil filtration system on the very early small blocks. I hope that bottom banjo fitting was tight or there would have been pools of 10w-30 on the manifold ;)

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
Way back in the day, I was still in high school, (58-59) I has 2 small blocks I had picked-one was a blue green (may have come out of a truck) and one was a yellow block. think both were factory colors. Both came out of a junk yard.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

"one was a yellow block"

As posted earlier the 1957 passenger car early 265 (base 2-bbl carb V8 with a man. trans. only) was painted chartreuse .....kind of a yellowish-green. Later in the production year the 265 was painted orange like the 283. btw the 1957 base 2-bbl carb 283 was not available with a man. trans.

1957 engines:
www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/57chvy/bilder/24.jpg

Richard

Last edited: