Fuel lines and antifreeze

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hello guys, long time since I been on here, mostly because my build took a back seat for quite a few months.

SO.......... I am getting things ready to fire up since my run time on the engine stand a year or more ago.

So to catch ya all up, I took a 327 impala, built a 409 and installed it....

So I did put a new tank in this and a new sending unit 3 port ( for a return line)

I was intending on using the glass fuel bowl, with my 4GC (single 340HP) carb, i abandoned that idea when I could not get the fuel bowl to stop leaking, no matter what I did, so its out of the picture now, so it is laid out like a 3/8 fuel line from sending unit to the fuel pump inlet, from the outlet a nice glass filter to the inlets, no leaks now.

The problem is without the fuel bowl, what to do with the return line? abandon it or use it? so then where to hook it up if I use it?

My sending unit has 3 ports, I am assuming the 3/8 is for fuel to inlet of the fuel pump, the other two I am not sure what to do with? any help would be great.

I am using a stock 4 barrel intake, single carb. When I mount the carb to the intake, is it best just to use the paper filter or should I use the hard composite and paper gasket?

Also I will be filling the radiator and engine with antifreeze tomorrow, any certain Antifreeze that works better with 409? Green/Brown Dex 2?

Its been a long trip to get here but here I am ready to fire this old girl, any help is most appreciated.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Green antifreeze.

I swapped my 4 jet for a quadrajet and made a T just ahead of the carb inlet. I made it with a .060 hole so I didn't get too much return gas.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Green antifreeze.

I swapped my 4 jet for a quadrajet and made a T just ahead of the carb inlet. I made it with a .060 hole so I didn't get too much return gas.

I have a very nice 4GC that I would like to run, if not I think when I last spoke to Don, he recommended a street Demon if needed, again trying to use what I have on this build, but if I swap I will probably go with that recommendation, hell he designed most of what I built, so I have the faith in him, lol

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I will be happy to get this thing finally moving under its own power, need to still install exhaust from headers back, but they want it running when it comes in for install..

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With a 3 core aluminum Champion Radiator, dual 12's electric fans, I am hoping it stays cool enough.
Green antifreeze it is, thank you , 2 gallons? 3 Gallons?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have a very nice 4GC that I would like to run, if not I think when I last spoke to Don, he recommended a street Demon if needed, again trying to use what I have on this build, but if I swap I will probably go with that recommendation, hell he designed most of what I built, so I have the faith in him, lol
I didn't mean for you to swap the 4GC. I only meant to suggest a T ahead of it that would connect to your return line.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With a 3 core aluminum Champion Radiator, dual 12's electric fans, I am hoping it stays cool enough.
Green antifreeze it is, thank you , 2 gallons? 3 Gallons?

Buy two gallons, run the motor until the TSTAT opens and the motor burps with all of the air out, with the cap off you'll see the antifreeze circulating and you'll be good too go. Just make sure you burp it :drinking

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
so the 3 lines on the sending unit, I have a assembly book but it looks like some 3rd grader copied it, hard to read.

Those three ports one is 3/8 to fuel pump, one is return and 1 is Vent to the air? Since I have not ran the return line, could I just plug it off at the sending unit or you think its worth running it?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With todays gas a return line is never a bad idea.Another idea would be to run a by-pass style regulator between the pump and carb and hook the by pass side of the regulator back to the tank.That third port you're talking isn't to air.Typically a line from the pump,one to the carb,the third is the return back to the tank.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With todays gas a return line is never a bad idea.Another idea would be to run a by-pass style regulator between the pump and carb and hook the by pass side of the regulator back to the tank.That third port you're talking isn't to air.Typically a line from the pump,one to the carb,the third is the return back to the tank.

Don I have misplaced your number, could you send me a message, much easier to call you for me. Thank you.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I kicked butt all day on this ol' girl but came up short.......

This was a frame off I have been working on for 4.5 years now, you do not realize all these "LITTLE THINGS" add up like a you know what.

Distributor, wires , wired the starter, run new engine loom, add battery cables, change 1st round of Break in oil, add 5 gallons of petrol/w octane booster, connect mechanical temp sending unit and mechanical oil gauges (that's in one day, kickin butt) I go for the crown jewel to install the 4GC carb and realize my 1/2" Mounting plate/spacer/Heat isolator is not there, wonder where the heck I put that last year, no luck couldn't locate it... off to 5 parts stores to quickly grab one, its amazing a parts house does not understand Square bore vs Spread bore ( I have the latter)

Jegs has one, on the way, Wednesday.......to be continued

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
NO you don't have a spread bore you have in fact a square bore carb. You're running the 340 horse 409 intake,I have one and my 625 cfm Carter drops right on.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
NO you don't have a spread bore you have in fact a square bore carb. You're running the 340 horse 409 intake,I have one and my 625 cfm Carter drops right on.

Well, they did not know there was either or at the parts house, and I bought a square bore spacer, or so it said right on the label, but it was much larger than my foot print, mine is smaller, as far as I knew the spread bore was a larger rear holes and smaller front hole, the square bore was all same size holes, interesting. ty.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What carburetor are you running and what intake?
They never put a spread bore carburetor on a 348/409

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What carburetor are you running and what intake?
They never put a spread bore carburetor on a 348/409

I know I am running the 4GC, carb, 465 intake.

Intake# 3844465
Carb used: 4 bbl Rochester
Year used: 1964
Model: Passenger car
Engine: 409
Horsepower: 340
Notes: This manifold was used on all 340hp 409's from 1964-65. It is cast iron and has a splash shield riveted to the bottom.
Pics: