Fuel lines and antifreeze

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay, a 4GC is not a spread bore carburetor.
interesting, I wonder if the square bore spacer/insulator I bought was labeled wrong? Something is off? because I grabbed another square bore spacer, same thing. You guys know more than me, this is my first 409 BUT, i must be really confused because the spreadbore stuff fits?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Can you post a picture of what you have?
The bolt pattern may be the same as a spread bore but the throttle blades are not that large on a 4GC for the secondary's

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
interesting, I wonder if the square bore spacer/insulator I bought was labeled wrong? Something is off? because I grabbed another square bore spacer, same thing. You guys know more than me, this is my first 409 BUT, i must be really confused because the spreadbore stuff fits?

These three early versions were, for the most part, the same units internally. As we mentioned, the Quadrajet is a spread-bore design carburetor, using 1-3/8" primary bores and 2-1/4" secondaries. The smaller primary bores give the carburetor better idling and low-load fuel economy.

Rochester Quadrajet carburetors | Hemmings
www.h

?????

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Can you post a picture of what you have?
The bolt pattern may be the same as a spread bore but the throttle blades are not that large on a 4GC for the secondary's
Yes when I get home later I can lift the hood and snap a pic, I do not care as long as the car bolts together and fires up, lol but I do like to know what I am spouting off about if I am going to say it, so this is for purely education purposes for me at this point, thanks guys.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A square bore carburetor can have different size throttle blades from front to rear, but is still a square bore if that makes sense.

I'ma gunna knowd this stuff bie 2nite, lol sorry guys, my point is to get the car running and know what I am talking about.

Everyone who has commented has told me I am off base, and that must mean I am, just have to wrap my head around the things I am reading on the websites, etc. so for clarification what makes a spread bore a spread bore, and visa versa on square bore? please

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So is it fair to say..... I have a square bore carb, that will only mate up with spreadbore gaskets?

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I happen to think of something and maybe you guys will tell me , its not possible but I do want to throw this out there.
This 4 GC was sent out and rebuilt and made pretty and, supposedly $1500 invested in it to make it new, this was how I bought it and it did look very good 5 years ago, is it possible that the carb shop would be able to attach a spread bore base plate on it making it a bastard type carb? My intake also fits this foot print? The carb shop did not have my intake?

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Your 4GC will not work with spread bore gaskets.
Thats what everyone I hear and respect is saying, but my eyes and fitment is telling me something else.
When I get home I will take pics, my carb is definitely the one in the pic on the right.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did you guys see the stuff i posted up above from Hemmings, that says early 4GC's were a spread bore? is that a reputable source?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The 4GC has the small bolt pattern like an AFB would have and be the same bolt pattern as a spread bore but the secondary won't match up. The Holley 4 barrel has a larger bolt pattern.